2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
Originally posted by Puckettmeister86:
Sam, I just purchased a Yamaha P60 about a month ago, they are about $800, and it is honestly one of the most awesome things I've ever bought. . . . It has 88 graded keys . . .
Does the P60 have "weighted key" action - does it feel like a real piano? I have a Yamaha Clavinova (CLP 120, I think) which has a great "feel". I'm thinking about buying a portable keyboard to take on vacation.

Bob

L
L
While a digital piano would be suitable for practice in your room, have you considered checking with a local church or other house of worship nearby your university? When I attended, I wanted to practice during the week. Since my father was a pastor, I was able to practice at a local church when services weren't in session. They were quite kind to let me do so, plus from time to time, the church workers would come in and listen to me practice.

T
TS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by palley:
Sam,

Just make sure you've got your priorities straight. Many students attending major universities don't have free minutes much less free hours every day!
It is Sam's first year, keep in mind. My first year was not very...hmm how to put this...taxing on my academic abilities ( wink ); I found I had quite a bit of free time. Of course, all programs and schools are different.

I guess I would recommend to just play around with your schedule for the first little bit, and see what your situation is like.

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Heh, plenty of students find plenty of time to party and get drunk...

Since I won't be partying and getting drunk, I suppose I might as well spend that time playing the piano! laugh

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bob331:
Originally posted by Puckettmeister86:
[b] Sam, I just purchased a Yamaha P60 about a month ago, they are about $800, and it is honestly one of the most awesome things I've ever bought. . . . It has 88 graded keys . . .
Does the P60 have "weighted key" action - does it feel like a real piano? I have a Yamaha Clavinova (CLP 120, I think) which has a great "feel". I'm thinking about buying a portable keyboard to take on vacation.

Bob [/b]
Bob,

The P-series Yamaha keyboards -- the stage pianos -- are the portable versions of the CLP-series, so the P-120 corresponds to your CLP-120. All have the same weighted keys. The P-60 has fewer bells and whistles than the P-120.

August Förster 215
And also, if you're looking for a portable stage piano with hammer actions don't forget that there are a lot of GOOD alternatives to Yamaha and Roland such as the GEM Promega 3 and Promega 2 (these sound REALLY good), the Ketron GP-10, the Viscount Viva, plus a lot of Korg offerings (even though opinions about these are somewhat split)
- you should also take a look at the HC Keys, Synth and Samplers forum where I am a senior member (moniker: Rasmus-DK) and where stage pianos are frequently discussed.. smile
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
tyrri,

I think that the GEM's use a Fatar action, which may not be the best choice for a piano student.

DavidH

Originally posted by FogVilleLad:
tyrri,

I think that the GEM's use a Fatar action, which may not be the best choice for a piano student.

DavidH
Yes, it is manufactured by Fatar, but it's not the "old standard" Fatar hammer action - as far as I know, GEM and Fatar developed a lot of improvements in the action (such as a heavier touch in the bass region and vice versa - known from Yamaha actions and the Roland PA4 and PA5 actions) for the Promega series..

Also, digital piano and synth actions are, just as piano actions, a matter of taste and preference - some prefer Yamaha, others Roland, others Fatar (which produces for 80% of the remaining digital piano manufacturers (Korg, GEM, Kawai (apart from their MP9000/MP9500 series) etc.) with Chinese subcontractors getting into this market only recently)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do you have a public community college near the university; you might check it out as an option. The small public college near by my house has multiple practice rooms available with Yamaha Consoles; no sign up list either.

Best to just walk into the music dept building and look for yourself rather than to ask any faculty members. And going in during non-peak times is better; as there is less noise and more choice of pianos to select from.

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
Q
Q
Originally posted by AaronSF:
I have a Yamaha P120 and recommend it highly.

You can get them on the Internet for just under $1000. Most brick-and-mortar dealers will match Internet prices if you take them proof of it.
Hi,

I'm also in the SF Bay Area and also considering getting a P120. Can you give me a link to a new P120 for just under $1000? This will give me more backing than just "I have a few friends who got it under a grand." I couldn't find any places which offered new P120s for under $1200... considering that I'm also a college student - I don't think I can do over $1000.

Thanks!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Qcvar:
Originally posted by AaronSF:
[b] I have a Yamaha P120 and recommend it highly.

You can get them on the Internet for just under $1000. Most brick-and-mortar dealers will match Internet prices if you take them proof of it.
Hi,

I'm also in the SF Bay Area and also considering getting a P120. Can you give me a link to a new P120 for just under $1000? This will give me more backing than just "I have a few friends who got it under a grand." I couldn't find any places which offered new P120s for under $1200... considering that I'm also a college student - I don't think I can do over $1000.

Thanks! [/b]
I just did a Froogle search, and I'm not turning up as much as I did when I bought my P120 last Fall, but I did turn up this:

Yahama P120 for under $1,000

August Förster 215
Q
Q
Then what I have feared is true... The era good deals on P120s is now over, and I will have to talk with the salesmen to see how much they can take off. I get there feeling that there used to be P120s for $999, but now, the only ones new that you can get are $1199 up.

Thank you for your effort, Aaron, but that P120 is a scratch and dent item.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission