2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
annika Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I am looking for a file with a recording of Pachelbel's Canon in D, piano version, using the arrangement by Robert Schultz (about 10 pages). I can find lots of different recordings of the Canon but most are orchestra or even mainly strings, which are beautiful to listen to, but I am working on the piano piece myself and would really like to have a good recording of it to help me learn it.

Do any of you know where I can find an mp3 that would fit this description? I have checked many internet sites but am getting very discouraged, so if you know of a short cut for me I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think someone recorded it here...check the members recording section.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A bit off-topic, but why is the piece called a canon. I can see virtually no relation to what I understand is a canon. This seems to be more theme and variations!

It's a ground bass, as for why it's called canon... i'm not sure, I thought a canon involved a theme that is repeated throuought the piece but with variation.... Which it does. (sort of?)

C H O P I N

"I Think Therefore I Am." - Rene Descartes
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachelbel\'s_Canon

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C H O P I N:
It's a ground bass

Similar to the one that occurs in BWV 211?

wink

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
I'm afraid I don't know BWV 211 !

I'm not much of a Bach person, not *yet* anyway -though I plan to get started on some soon, I really should, I've yet to touch a Bach piece thoughout my 2 years of piano study...

Damn ABRSM pieces eat up my time!

C H O P I N

"I Think Therefore I Am." - Rene Descartes
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Varcon:
A bit off-topic, but why is the piece called a canon. I can see virtually no relation to what I understand is a canon. This seems to be more theme and variations!
It seems to you more like theme and variations probably because of the ground bass. But, from what I remember a strict 3-voice canon pertains all the way through. All the upper textures derive from it.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Canon: The most rigid form of imitation, a subject (antecedent) being followed accurately by an answer (consequent); once the playground of musical ingenuity, all forms of complication being indulged in. A canon written out completely was full or aperto. Often only the antecedent was written out, the consequent (now called fuga or consequenza) being left to the performers skill; this was called close or chiuso. If the entrances of the other parts were indicated by cabalistic signs , it was a 'riddle-canon', or enigmatical or enigmatico. Canons were named by the interval between answer and antecedent and by the general treatment.
Music Lovers' Encyclopedia, Hughes, Taylor and Kerr.

Is it supposed to be something like species counterpoint? To me, it doesn't seem to follow that either. That it has a 'ground bass' is understood.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
if you have come across the original strings version of pachabel's version, when you look at the score, you should udnerstand what is canon.

canon, is a kind of imitation where it follow fully (or almost fully) by another instruemnt or part of the same piece. and the second imitation starts just when the first theme end, or a bit before it ends.

i'll make it easier.

let say the 1st violin play the first theme at bar 9-16, then the 2nd violin will play the theme at bar 17-24, then the 3rd violin or cello will play the same theme at bar 25-32.

back to 1st violin, there's another theme or melody played ay bar 17-24, then the 2nd violin will repeat it at 25-32 and so on.

this is what i understand from "canon" this device, and from what i have seen from the score of pachabel's canon.

i just finish my grade 8 theory this august..
smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I understand what a canon is--I had species and Palestrinian counterpoint classes--and have samples of canon. In looking and playing the piano arrangements and hearing the orchestral versions I fail to detect the imitation that signifies a canon--the imitation which must be exact! I don't have the original score as penned by Pachelbel tho it might prove to be more reliable. I see a theme repeated with variations--maybe a chaconne or passacaglia but not a canon--at least until someone shows me how it is one! smile

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission