Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58558 - 06/27/05 06:27 AM Keyboard for College... :(
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I'm beginning my university studies in September. Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted to the music school this year, so I won't have access to the practice rooms. I'm sure there are probably decent pianos around campus that I can use, and there are a few practice rooms in each of the dorms (I'm not sure if they have decent pianos or even any pianos at all), so I'll probably end up buying a keyboard for my dorm room, so that I can still practice my endless hours. ;\)

So my question is this: which keyboard(s) would you guys recommend? I'm looking for something with 88 keys and relatively good action that feels somewhat like an acoustic piano (and maybe a pedal, too?). I'm not sure I can afford anything much more than $1000.

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not certain of the terminology. I mean an electric piano (not a big grand acoustic, of course... \:D ). Or is keyboard the right word?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#58559 - 06/27/05 06:39 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
BP Offline

Loc: Mpls, MN
You may be surprised, but there are quite a few choices out there. For starters, you could look for a decent used instrument. In Minneapolis, we have a store called Music Go Round. Or, the Casio Privia series and/or PS series are relatively inexpensive and have great sound. Some used keyboards, I find, don't 'feel' quite as good as a newer one. Just make sure you really like the sound! (with and without headphones)

#58560 - 06/27/05 06:46 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Keyboards and digital pianos are usually thought to mean different things (although 'keyboard' can imply any instrument in the category: organ, piano, etc.)...

Check out Yamaha's digital pianos... The best of them are *really* good (dynamic sustain pedal, keys that hit the targets if you deliver the sufficient force - without having to press them all the way (like in real pianos), etc.), but you'll certainly get a decent one (hammer-action, 88 keys, at least two pedals) with 1000 bucks...

#58561 - 06/27/05 08:58 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
ipgrunt Offline

Loc: Western US
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
I'm beginning my university studies in September. Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted to the music school this year, so I won't have access to the practice rooms.

[/b]
J.,

Check this in person. Some universities do allow students to use the practice rooms, even if they are not associated with the music dept. If there is no formal system, then stroll over and talk with a professor or other staff member.

Find someone who is interested in the same kind of music and build a rapport, talk music or play for someone with authority over there, form a relationship with a professor, for example, and you might even get a key to the building.

#58562 - 06/27/05 09:07 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ipgrunt:
 Quote:
I'm beginning my university studies in September. Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted to the music school this year, so I won't have access to the practice rooms.

[/b]
J.,

Check this in person. Some universities do allow students to use the practice rooms, even if they are not associated with the music dept. If there is no formal system, then stroll over and talk with a professor or other staff member.
[/b]
I did. \:\)

I mean...

\:\(

\:D

#58563 - 06/27/05 09:18 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
ipgrunt Offline

Loc: Western US
 Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by ipgrunt:
 Quote:

[/b]
J.,

[/b]
I did. \:\)

I mean...

\:\(

\:D [/b]
Well, don't give up on it. You're going to have to win them over with your charm.

Good luck.

#58564 - 06/27/05 09:36 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
palley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Binghamton, New York
Sam,

Stroll over to "Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards" forum where you will find a lot of informed opinions on this subject.

The most popular seem to be the Yamaha P series. The P120 new will be a little over your budget.

For a little better you would want the P250 or the PF500, but of course they will blow your budget. There are some good Roland choices as well. Again you may have to find a used one to meet your $$ target.

As always, you must try some out to see which keyboard feels best to you.

Good luck with your studies.

#58565 - 06/27/05 10:40 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I have a Yamaha P120 and recommend it highly.

You can get them on the Internet for just under $1000. Most brick-and-mortar dealers will match Internet prices if you take them proof of it.

You'll need a good set of headphones that do not amplify the sound from the source. Most headphones automatically amplify the sound because the assumption is you're plugging into a battery-powered devices. AC powered devices do not need this degree of amplification (apparently), and it actually makes the sound from a P120 too loud (so it's then difficult to play pp, for example).

I started off with some fairly good Senheiser headphones, but they didn't have an AC source mode. I got some of those Bose ambient noise canceling headphones, and they have a switch for AC source and battery source. The difference is really quite amazing. I get a MUCH more realistic dynamic range from the keyboard with the headphones set to the AC source mode.

#58566 - 06/27/05 11:00 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#58567 - 06/28/05 08:36 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#58568 - 06/28/05 08:39 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(

pianojerome,

I have attended two universities and I have taught at two others. At none of these were practice rooms restricted to a certain class of student. At several (Duke and Colgate), sign-up sheets gave preference to students enrolled in classes that required them to practice, but all registered students could take any remaining time on the sheets. Also, I cannot recall ever being evicted from an empty practice room unless its rightful user showed up. Then I would simply trundle over to the next empty room to continue my work. It was a rare day (or evening) that I could find no available space.

The situation you are describing suggests an incredible excess demand for practice time (is this school underendowed? Can't they afford enough practice instruments or rooms?) or an annoyingly haughty attitude about who can and cannot touch their precious instruments.

David F
AKA PianoDad
Grotrian 192 #156455

#58569 - 06/28/05 08:38 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(

Sorry for multiple posts. The button went crazy.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#58570 - 06/28/05 09:10 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
ghostclaws Offline

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
I cannot recall ever being evicted from an empty practice room unless its rightful user showed up. Then I would simply trundle over to the next empty room to continue my work. It was a rare day (or evening) that I could find no available space.
That was the same experience I had in the university I attended and I was in a completely different faculty with no music courses whatsoever in my course load.

GC

#58571 - 06/28/05 09:16 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
Mikester Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneesooota
 Quote:
I'm beginning my university studies in September. Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted to the music school this year, so I won't have access to the practice rooms. I'm sure there are probably decent pianos around campus that I can use, and there are a few practice rooms in each of the dorms (I'm not sure if they have decent pianos or even any pianos at all), so I'll probably end up buying a keyboard for my dorm room, so that I can still practice my endless hours. ;\)

So my question is this: which keyboard(s) would you guys recommend? I'm looking for something with 88 keys and relatively good action that feels somewhat like an acoustic piano (and maybe a pedal, too?). I'm not sure I can afford anything much more than $1000.

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not certain of the terminology. I mean an electric piano (not a big grand acoustic, of course... \:D ). Or is keyboard the right word? [/b]
Sam, you can get into the practice rooms at the Music School ... just not the ones with the Steinway grands (those are for piano majors I think). First make sure you go into the lowest level and then there should be rows of practice rooms with various uprights (so far I've seen Kawai, Boston, Yamaha, and Steinway)

If you go during a nonpeak hour (like dinnertime or early morning) you can most suredly get a practice room. I've gone consistenly at like 3 pm cuz I used to take classes on North Campus, and even when it's busy, it's not been more than a 15 minute wait for a practice room to open up. In my four years at Michigan, there has not been a single time when I was not able to get into a practice room.

So, please, rest assured. \:\) Also I think they don't lock the practice rooms with the uprights.

#58572 - 06/28/05 09:17 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
Puckettmeister86 Offline

Loc: Rocklin, CA
Sam, I just purchased a Yamaha P60 about a month ago, they are about $800, and it is honestly one of the most awesome things I've ever bought. I use it mainly for practicing while the family is home so I don't annoy the hell out of them with rumbling acoustic upright. It has 88 graded keys and is is incredibaly responsive.

here's the link to it so you can check it out.
Fully recommend it my friend.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/s=digitalpiano/search/detail/base_pid/707423/

#58573 - 06/28/05 09:19 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
Puckettmeister86 Offline

Loc: Rocklin, CA
And I'd also recommend Aaron's P120 if you have the extra cash, I'm sure that's another step up, but the P60 does beautifully for me.

#58574 - 06/28/05 09:24 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikester:
Sam, you can get into the practice rooms at the Music School ... just not the ones with the Steinway grands (those are for piano majors I think). First make sure you go into the lowest level and then there should be rows of practice rooms with various uprights (so far I've seen Kawai, Boston, Yamaha, and Steinway)

If you go during a nonpeak hour (like dinnertime or early morning) you can most suredly get a practice room. I've gone consistenly at like 3 pm cuz I used to take classes on North Campus, and even when it's busy, it's not been more than a 15 minute wait for a practice room to open up. In my four years at Michigan, there has not been a single time when I was not able to get into a practice room.

So, please, rest assured. \:\) Also I think they don't lock the practice rooms with the uprights. [/b]
That's reassuring! \:\)

Here's the e-mail I got from one of the professors (in response to my question about whether or not I can use the practice rooms):

"They are available only for music students. There are some practice facilities in the dorms."

I was thinking of going anyway around 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning so that I could practice (hopefully) for a few hours before class. I'm sure there won't be too many music majors over there at 6:30 in the morning!

#58575 - 06/28/05 09:34 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
palley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Binghamton, New York
Sam,

Just make sure you've got your priorities straight. Many students attending major universities don't have free minutes much less free hours every day!

#58576 - 06/28/05 09:52 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
barganax Offline

Loc: Oakland/Santa Fe
Sam,
If you've started looking at the digital piano forum, you will have noticed that some models are sold in generic music stores and over the internet; higher end models are sold only at piano dealerships. But there are also some "in-between" models that are inexpensive, with similar or identical action to the dealership-only models. In the case of Yamaha, there is a "YDP" model, I think, that is like a low-end CLP model but with a less-fancy cabinet. There is also the same thing in the Roland world.

Two more things:
(1) As an accomplished pianist, I would think that you would want a cabinet-style digital piano, not a stage piano, unless portability is top priority (i.e. moving it to storage for the summer). But, given your background, I would think that fixed pedals are a bigger factor for you. BTW some models have half-pedal capability.

(2) The action will be critical for you. Generally speaking, Roland is the lightest, Yamaha and Kawai are heavier. You'll need to try them to see what suits your taste.

I own a Roland F100 that I am generally happy with. BUT -- no sostenuto, no half-pedal capability. And the bass is muddy when I play Rach prelude C# minor (but that holds for a lot of acoustics too!) Still, I got it for $1400 two years ago. They are probably cheaper now, or there is a replacement.

#58577 - 06/28/05 11:48 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Yamaha P-120 has half-pedaling, but it allows for only 2 pedals, so if you want both una corde and sostenuto, you're out of luck. I can easily live without sostenuto, so no problem for me.

If I was going to college again, especially if I was living in a cramped dorm room, I'd want a luggable stage piano like the P-120, not a clavinova built into a case with fixed pedals. Anyhow, that would be my personal preference.

#58578 - 06/28/05 01:10 PM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
Bob331 Offline

Loc: NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Puckettmeister86:
Sam, I just purchased a Yamaha P60 about a month ago, they are about $800, and it is honestly one of the most awesome things I've ever bought. . . . It has 88 graded keys . . . [/b]
Does the P60 have "weighted key" action - does it feel like a real piano? I have a Yamaha Clavinova (CLP 120, I think) which has a great "feel". I'm thinking about buying a portable keyboard to take on vacation.

Bob

#58579 - 06/28/05 01:18 PM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
librarymichael Offline

Loc: midwest
While a digital piano would be suitable for practice in your room, have you considered checking with a local church or other house of worship nearby your university? When I attended, I wanted to practice during the week. Since my father was a pastor, I was able to practice at a local church when services weren't in session. They were quite kind to let me do so, plus from time to time, the church workers would come in and listen to me practice.

#58580 - 06/28/05 02:38 PM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
TS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by palley:
Sam,

Just make sure you've got your priorities straight. Many students attending major universities don't have free minutes much less free hours every day! [/b]
It is Sam's first year, keep in mind. My first year was not very...hmm how to put this...taxing on my academic abilities ( ;\) ); I found I had quite a bit of free time. Of course, all programs and schools are different.

I guess I would recommend to just play around with your schedule for the first little bit, and see what your situation is like.

#58581 - 06/28/05 03:35 PM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Heh, plenty of students find plenty of time to party and get drunk...

Since I won't be partying and getting drunk, I suppose I might as well spend that time playing the piano! \:D

#58582 - 06/28/05 03:39 PM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob331:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Puckettmeister86:
Sam, I just purchased a Yamaha P60 about a month ago, they are about $800, and it is honestly one of the most awesome things I've ever bought. . . . It has 88 graded keys . . . [/b]
Does the P60 have "weighted key" action - does it feel like a real piano? I have a Yamaha Clavinova (CLP 120, I think) which has a great "feel". I'm thinking about buying a portable keyboard to take on vacation.

Bob [/b]
Bob,

The P-series Yamaha keyboards -- the stage pianos -- are the portable versions of the CLP-series, so the P-120 corresponds to your CLP-120. All have the same weighted keys. The P-60 has fewer bells and whistles than the P-120.

#58583 - 06/29/05 10:18 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
tyrri Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
And also, if you're looking for a portable stage piano with hammer actions don't forget that there are a lot of GOOD alternatives to Yamaha and Roland such as the GEM Promega 3 and Promega 2 (these sound REALLY good), the Ketron GP-10, the Viscount Viva, plus a lot of Korg offerings (even though opinions about these are somewhat split)
- you should also take a look at the HC Keys, Synth and Samplers forum where I am a senior member (moniker: Rasmus-DK) and where stage pianos are frequently discussed.. \:\)
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18

#58584 - 06/29/05 10:26 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

tyrri,

I think that the GEM's use a Fatar action, which may not be the best choice for a piano student.

DavidH

#58585 - 06/29/05 10:36 AM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
tyrri Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
 Quote:
Originally posted by FogVilleLad:
tyrri,

I think that the GEM's use a Fatar action, which may not be the best choice for a piano student.

DavidH [/b]
Yes, it is manufactured by Fatar, but it's not the "old standard" Fatar hammer action - as far as I know, GEM and Fatar developed a lot of improvements in the action (such as a heavier touch in the bass region and vice versa - known from Yamaha actions and the Roland PA4 and PA5 actions) for the Promega series..

Also, digital piano and synth actions are, just as piano actions, a matter of taste and preference - some prefer Yamaha, others Roland, others Fatar (which produces for 80% of the remaining digital piano manufacturers (Korg, GEM, Kawai (apart from their MP9000/MP9500 series) etc.) with Chinese subcontractors getting into this market only recently)

#58586 - 06/29/05 07:20 PM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: In a state full of Volcanoes
Do you have a public community college near the university; you might check it out as an option. The small public college near by my house has multiple practice rooms available with Yamaha Consoles; no sign up list either.

Best to just walk into the music dept building and look for yourself rather than to ask any faculty members. And going in during non-peak times is better; as there is less noise and more choice of pianos to select from.

#58587 - 07/01/05 02:54 PM Re: Keyboard for College... :(
Qcvar Offline

Loc: Stanford, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by AaronSF:
I have a Yamaha P120 and recommend it highly.

You can get them on the Internet for just under $1000. Most brick-and-mortar dealers will match Internet prices if you take them proof of it.
[/b]
Hi,

I'm also in the SF Bay Area and also considering getting a P120. Can you give me a link to a new P120 for just under $1000? This will give me more backing than just "I have a few friends who got it under a grand." I couldn't find any places which offered new P120s for under $1200... considering that I'm also a college student - I don't think I can do over $1000.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Who's Online
139 registered (36251, accordeur, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1675 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76379 Members
42 Forums
157895 Topics
2318911 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission