2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
My wife and I saw a fairly well known pianist play some works by Finnesy last year - including the incredibly difficult Alkan a Paganini. He then went on to play ordinary Alkan extrememly well and also some very hard Liszt transcriptions, all superbly.

Best regards,
Jonathan
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
Brendan:
[b]I'll play Devil's advocate:

I think drumour already beat you to it. The wording of John's post implies to me that he is precisely not in agreement with those "many people on this forum" regarding playing from memory being essential for good/excellent performances. wink

-Michael B. [/b]
Someone with good reading skills smile

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jasperkeys:
[b]What about chamber and symphonic music? Everyone is using the score, and some of the most thrilling performances I have ever heard were from these genres, not memorized piano recitals.
Hey, yeah! What's the deal? That's a good question I've never considered. I've never thought badly about orchestral musicians having the sheet scores in front of them but do they really have to do this? Why don't they memorize the music? [/b]
Why should they memorize the music?

Liszt and Clara Schumann were among the first virtuosos to spread this "commandment" of always playing from memory, and there's a theory that they only did it to impress the audiences (and because it impressed audiences, other soloists wanted to do it, too).

There are, of course, a few problems with playing from memory: memory blocks; forgetting certain indications in the score; unknowingly adding certain other indications that are not in the score; memorizing wrong notes/rhythms; another reason for stage anxiety...

On the other hand, if you memorize the music, then you don't have to worry about turning pages (which isn't an issue if you have a page turner, either) and it impresses the audience that you can play from memory (though today it doesn't really impress so much anymore, as much as it is simply deemed necessary).

Sam
Why should they memorize the music? Why should they memorize the music?
I was just asking half in jest as for orchestral musicians it's not a factor. You're right, there would be an awful lot to remember. I confess I'm a terrible sightreader and what I have used from sheet music I've had to memorize a measure at a time.
On a related note though, I took a music theory course at our local college and I was amazed that some people didn't understand music despite sightreading and playing for years. These people only seemed to play from rote. Taking away their sheet music they were totally lost. How can this be? Some of these were even studying to be music majors.

"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them." Andy Bernard
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by drumour:
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
[b] Brendan:
[b]I'll play Devil's advocate:

I think drumour already beat you to it. The wording of John's post implies to me that he is precisely not in agreement with those "many people on this forum" regarding playing from memory being essential for good/excellent performances. wink

-Michael B. [/b]
Someone with good reading skills smile

John [/b]
Oh come off it, I just woke up when I wrote that. [Linked Image]

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
With some of the ultra modern difficult and dissonant compositions, the pianist can relax when playing, as only a very few in the audience will know whether or not a wrong note was struck. Gaby Tu

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gabytu:
With some of the ultra modern difficult and dissonant compositions, the pianist can relax when playing, as only a very few in the audience will know whether or not a wrong note was struck. Gaby Tu
Conversely, only a very few in the audience will know whether a correct note was struck!

:p

Sam
F
F
With regard to memorizing contemporary pieces: I've talked to 2 performing pianists about this. They said that most players of contemporary music don't bother to memorize it because of its difficulty. The difficulty they are talking about is not necessarily that the music is technically harder but that the structure is less apparent. This is one reason why some teachers don't have younger, less experienced players learn Brahms or Debussy; it's not necessarily a matter of technical difficulty, but the harmonic structure being more complex and less easy to discern. It's possible that as younger musicians learn more contemporary music and it becomes familiar, these types of structures will also be easier to memorize.

I assume that ensemble pieces (even piano duets) are played with music, because the musicians are not expected to remember the other parts that cue them. Or if another musician screws up, a score will help everything come right again.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by pianojerome:
Originally posted by gabytu:
With some of the ultra modern difficult and dissonant compositions, the pianist can relax when playing, as only a very few in the audience will know whether or not a wrong note was struck.
Conversely, only a very few in the audience will know whether a correct note was struck :p
There are audiences for this kind of music? Why pay good money when you cannot tell the difference between right or wrong notes? laugh

Jason
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Ahem...

This thread was written under the supposition that the pianist was going to give an accurate and good performance of the music. I would argue that modern piano music is the hardest, bar none, to read, memorize, play with all the correct dynamics, be technically accurate, and be able to bring out emotions in. I just can't see any other genre being more difficult. A glance at Xenakis's "Mists" and Sorabji's "Opus Clavicembalisticum" should provide fairly solid evidence that this music is just barely within human grasp, and that's only technically. In order to bring out the surreal emotions of it, all the different voices, and play it well, that's another task entirely.

T
T
Well, after reading carefully through the links to those scors I have only one thing to say:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I think I have just been driven insane just by looking at it! If you can make sense of it and play it with any sort of proficiency, much less memorize it, you deserve accolades.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission