Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#586814 - 12/14/07 04:03 PM Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
asherf Offline

Loc: Colorado
This piece fascinates me for some reason. I know it hasn't gotten the greatest reviews for lack of structure and whatnot, but I still love it. it's different. But I do however have a question. I ordered Kalmus' edition of the piece. am usually a fan of them, still am. but, it turns out that this is the first version of the piece. Meaning that the version most people hear is the revised version that Rachmaninoff edited later around 1917 to have better harmonies and making it more virtuoso. Where can I find this version as well? a good edition of it. I like the first version of course, no complaints, besides that fact that I can't find one recording of it, anywhere. yet.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#586815 - 12/14/07 06:42 PM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Try Schirmer's No.1.

#586816 - 12/14/07 06:46 PM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As to the recording, it is not difficult to find at all. Many complete sets are out there. To get you started: Rafael Orozco, Ashkenazy, Bernd Glemser, and Abbey Simon, etc. I have numerous other sets. My point is you should not have much problem in locating one. Try a search on Amazon you should also have some idea.

#586817 - 12/14/07 09:52 PM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
asherf Offline

Loc: Colorado
finding the 1st version of the concerto is the problem. I've found millions of the revised version.

Schirmer...

#586818 - 12/15/07 06:07 AM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Ghindin recorded the first first on the Ondine label, with Ashkenasky conducting. I believe it's still in print.

#586819 - 12/15/07 09:44 AM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The well-known Russian sheet music site has the sheet to both versions.

#586820 - 12/15/07 07:29 PM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
argerichfan Online   sick
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Max Harrison's excellent book "Rachmaninoff - Life, Works, Recordings" has some interesting comments about the two versions. He also cites Martyn's book "Rachmaninoff" (which I have not seen) for a detailed listing of the differences.

As with the 4th Concerto, I would hope the earlier version eventually becomes the norm in performance and recording. After all, the issue of the cuts in the 2nd Symphony and 3rd Concerto seems to have been resolved...

#586821 - 12/17/07 05:09 AM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
You know, the differences between the two versions of the first concerto are great enough for me to regard them as seperate works that share the same thematic material -- a similar but not as extreme a case as the two versions of Brahms's B major trio. Besides, the second version of the first dates from after the third concerto (if memory serves), and the giant leap in compositional craftsmanship can readily be heard when one compares the two. The "youthful" quality that many people who haven't listened to the first version hear in the revised version is really hogwash -- the first version really qualifies as "youthful", which means "youthful foibles" more than anything else in this case.
 Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
As with the 4th Concerto, I would hope the earlier version eventually becomes the norm in performance and recording. After all, the issue of the cuts in the 2nd Symphony and 3rd Concerto seems to have been resolved... [/b]
I agree with you heartily -- some of the most intersting passages (including some riotous tuttis in the outer movements) have been left out in the revised version. However, it's not just a matter of cuts. The first version's last movement doesn't have the almost-stereotypical-Rachmaninov "apotheosis" coda that was only added in the revision. And of course the second subject of the last movement changed from a "Dies Irae" variant to those fanfare triplets, which originally acted as counterpoint to the "Dies Irae." Knowing this makes the revised version sound somewhat thin in this particular passage.
It's great that someone has taken an interest in the first concerto, which I have a weakness for (along with the first version of the fourth -- my favorite Rachmaninov concerto).
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#586822 - 12/17/07 10:45 AM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
argerichfan Online   sick
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
...the second version of the first dates from after the third concerto, and the giant leap in compositional craftsmanship can readily be heard when one compares the two. The "youthful" quality that many people who haven't listened to the first version hear in the revised version is really hogwash -- the first version really qualifies as "youthful", which means "youthful foibles" more than anything else in this case.
That's a good point... also interesting to remind us of the Brahms B major trio.

BTW, if you want a prime example of a revision being in every sense "superior", listen to the two versions of Sibelius 5.

#586823 - 12/18/07 03:47 PM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Rachmaninoff's first is one of my favorite concertos. The cadenza in the first movement is one of my all-time favorite cadenzas.

I haven't heard the first version, but which one do you prefer Janus, the first or the revised?

#586824 - 12/19/07 05:09 PM Re: Rachmaninoff Concerto No.1
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
Revised version by far, Bassio. Though admittedly none of the few recordings of the first version make the best possible case for it.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (anotherscott, aesop, Augustina, Abby Pianoman, 43 invisible), 1490 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76039 Members
42 Forums
157220 Topics
2309179 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
09/01/14 09:02 PM
Kawai ES7 v1.15 software update - now available
by Kawai James
09/01/14 08:43 PM
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
09/01/14 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
09/01/14 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
09/01/14 05:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission