2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#589148 11/22/08 02:52 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Phlebas:

Originally posted by cruiser:
[b]I rest my case.
A case in point. What's that supposed to mean, that I'm some kind of lout? There's way too much of that going on here, and I'm seriously thinking of logging off PW for good because there's too much of this, as well as senseless bickering. Piano should be something that brings us together - not an opportunity to show superiority. [/b]
Phlebas, a lout you most certainly are not!

This topic developed into a general discussion about decorum during piano concert recitals and I put forward my strongly-felt point of view, by which I stand firm. Some of the reactions to my standpoint were quite insulting.

I respect - that word again! - your stance too and I apologise if I offended you. There will always be strong differeneces of opinion expressed throughout these forums but, as you rightly say, ultimately our love for the piano is what binds us smile

Michael
#589149 11/22/08 07:40 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Cruiser, thank you. The snarkiness of this place gets to me sometimes, but I'm guilty of it too from time to time.

Pianoloverus, I'll have to look them up. There is a place in Brooklyn, and I believe the Knitting Factory as well, but let me check and get back to you.

#589150 11/23/08 04:33 PM
Originally posted by sotto voce:
Originally posted by Phlebas:
[b]I think one of the problems with classical music is the fact that going to concerts is too much like going to a museum.
I think so, too. A visit to a museum, like attending a concert, used to be a rather serious event for which people dressed and behaved in a serious manner that bespoke reverence for the substance of the experience.

Nowadays, whether at the museum or a concert, one can easily have the sense that anything goes.

Steven [/b]
Actually, the "classical concert" didn't become a serious event until relatively recently. During the 18th century, people did not treat concerts with anything like the reverence we treat them today - they talked, they made noise, they socialized, they hardly paid attention to the performers. It was only around the time of Liszt that this whole "reverence" thing started, and even then, a lot of performers (such as Chopin) played at salons where, presumably, there was nowhere near the awed hush that one expects these days. If anything, classical music is getting more stuffy rather than less.

#589151 11/23/08 04:45 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Larisa:
Actually, the "classical concert" didn't become a serious event until relatively recently. During the 18th century, people did not treat concerts with anything like the reverence we treat them today - they talked, they made noise, they socialized, they hardly paid attention to the performers. It was only around the time of Liszt that this whole "reverence" thing started, and even then, a lot of performers (such as Chopin) played at salons where, presumably, there was nowhere near the awed hush that one expects these days. If anything, classical music is getting more stuffy rather than less.
Why do you describe quiet enjoyment of, and paying attention to, a classical music performance as "stuffy"? Would you describe the atmosphere of a library or museum as stuffy?

Steven

#589152 11/23/08 05:10 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If anything, classical music is getting more stuffy rather than less.
I think that depends on which time periods you're comparing. If you compare 1950-present to the mid 19th century then what you say is true. But if you compare 20 or even 10 years ago to today, I would say that today's performances are less "stuffy" in the sense that the standard attire of performers back then(tux usually, suit once in a while)has evolved so that many young and not so young performers dress much more informally.

For me this is a nice change.

Additionally, I think(?)it is true that there is much more willingness to progam contemporary music today than 20 years ago.

#589153 11/23/08 08:01 PM
[b]Actually, the "classical concert" didn't become a serious event until relatively recently. During the 18th century, people did not treat concerts with anything like the reverence we treat them today - they talked, they made noise, they socialized, they hardly paid attention to the performers. It was only around the time of Liszt that this whole "reverence" thing started, and even then, a lot of performers (such as Chopin) played at salons where, presumably, there was nowhere near the awed hush that one expects these days. If anything, classical music is getting more stuffy rather than less.
Why do you describe quiet enjoyment of, and paying attention to, a classical music performance as "stuffy"? Would you describe the atmosphere of a library or museum as stuffy?

Steven [/b]
It depends on what "quiet enjoyment" means. If it means being afraid to breathe too loudly because otherwise you will disturb the sacred intentions of the composer, yes, I'll call that stuffy. If it means sitting quietly and enjoying the music, but not getting bent out of shape if someone coughs, that's fine.

There's a jazz club I really like to go to; the band that plays there is wonderful. People go to that jazz club to enjoy the music. And yes, cell phones or crying babies would probably be frowned upon; but the audience is free to consume its drinks or quietly converse between themselves, or applaud a particularly wonderful solo; it's a relaxed environment. I like that paradigm better than that of the library or museum. I don't think that art needs an awed hush in order to be art.

#589154 11/23/08 11:22 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I don't think a comparison between a jazz club and a classical concert is apt.

Using sarcastic language like "being afraid to breathe too loudly because otherwise you will disturb the sacred intentions of the composer" speaks loudly (!) about your own sensibilities, but I already knew where you were coming from by the way you used the term "stuffy."

I'm such a stuffy, stodgy elitist that I even prefer silence in a movie theater. What a concept!

Steven

#589155 11/24/08 12:13 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Actually, the "classical concert" didn't become a serious event until relatively recently. During the 18th century, people did not treat concerts with anything like the reverence we treat them today - they talked, they made noise, they socialized, they hardly paid attention to the performers. It was only around the time of Liszt that this whole "reverence" thing started, and even then, a lot of performers (such as Chopin) played at salons where, presumably, there was nowhere near the awed hush that one expects these days. If anything, classical music is getting more stuffy rather than less. [/QB]
I think it is probably wrong to presume that at the private salons there were people chattering and being less than attentive to the music. Since they were private, the atmosphere would have been fairly well set by the person giving it, and, in the case of Chopin, given the whisper-quiet nuance of his playing and the reported hypnotic effect of it, I'd guess the salons where he played were pretty darned quiet and respectful. Of course, it would vary, but I bet the best of them, the ones that attracted the top musicians, were pretty quiet.

A different point to keep in mind is that for a long time, much of the "classical music" that people heard was heard in church, and I'm guessing that quiet was the norm.

#589156 11/24/08 12:20 AM
Why isn't the comparison between a jazz club and a classical concert all that apt, actually? Both places are places where people come to hear music.

I do think that there is a "deification" phenomenon going on with respect to classical composers. We put classical music up on a pedestal. There is a certain awe, and a certain sense of sacredness, with respect to the way we approach classical composers (compare the way you think of Mozart with the way you think of a jazz composer, or a rock songwriter). I'm not sure that all this mystique is necessary for the enjoyment of classical music. I think the music can stand on its own.

I like silence in a movie theater, too. But I don't turn around and glare at someone who crinkles a cough drop wrapper during the movie.

#589157 11/24/08 12:50 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Why isn't the comparison between a jazz club and a classical concert all that apt, actually? Both places are places where people come to hear music....
I think it comes down to different ways of appreciating differing types of music, which isn't to say that those different ways are intrinsic to the music itself—only that they're mandated by the generally accepted norms of the setting.

Some individuals might wish to stand up and dance to classical music or to sing along with opera, while others might prefer to sit in passive silence at a rock performance. Nevertheless, there's a consensus of what's appropriate in those various environments that seems based—like, ideally, other standards of public behavior that make up the social contract—on not allowing our actions to interfere with the enjoyment of others to the extent possible.

I think awe and reverence toward what we like is entirely natural and appropriate, and I don't mind the expectation that we express it differently as the circumstances warrant. (While it's possible to sit through a jazz or rock concert without even undulating yet not impinge upon anyone else's experience, it's not the best way to show one's appreciation!)

Steven

#589158 11/24/08 02:30 AM
D
D
[b]Actually, the "classical concert" didn't become a serious event until relatively recently. During the 18th century, people did not treat concerts with anything like the reverence we treat them today - they talked, they made noise, they socialized, they hardly paid attention to the performers. It was only around the time of Liszt that this whole "reverence" thing started, and even then, a lot of performers (such as Chopin) played at salons where, presumably, there was nowhere near the awed hush that one expects these days. If anything, classical music is getting more stuffy rather than less.

Steven [/b]
I worked at the Seattle Art Museum.

Yes.

#589159 11/24/08 05:29 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Why isn't the comparison between a jazz club and a classical concert all that apt, actually? Both places are places where people come to hear music.

Because the nature of the two kinds of music is quite different, as is the social history behind them. I'm not sitting a table with a drink in hand chatting with friends when the orchestra strikes up Bruckners' 8th. And neither am I sitting in a reserved seat expecting many dozens of musicians to be reading from their score (which I am already familiar with) while a conductor shapes the performance, when instead a few musicians stroll in and casually start to improvise on a chord progression one of the players has come up with a few hours earlier, which I've never heard before.

I do think that there is a "deification" phenomenon going on with respect to classical composers. We put classical music up on a pedestal. There is a certain awe, and a certain sense of sacredness, with respect to the way we approach classical composers (compare the way you think of Mozart with the way you think of a jazz composer, or a rock songwriter). I'm not sure that all this mystique is necessary for the enjoyment of classical music. I think the music can stand on its own.

I think this is missing the point. Despite some relatively early music being written with the knowledge that there might be a noisy audience, the fact is that most of the classical music we listen to was written with the presumption that listeners would be paying close attention to it, and will be able to hear everything without distraction. For an example, which although extreme is still a good illustration, there are pieces by Webern (and others) that are so soft and evanescent that they literally could be obliterated by a single person in the audience coughing loudly.

I like silence in a movie theater, too. But I don't turn around and glare at someone who crinkles a cough drop wrapper during the movie.
But is going to a movie the same as going to a concert? I don't think so. Besides all sorts of cultural stuff, there's just the plain fact that the movie itself is a recording that can be repeated over and over, and a live concert cannot be repeated ever (even if the pieces played are identical).

#589160 11/24/08 01:49 PM
[b] Why isn't the comparison between a jazz club and a classical concert all that apt, actually? Both places are places where people come to hear music....
I think it comes down to different ways of appreciating differing types of music, which isn't to say that those different ways are intrinsic to the music itself—only that they're mandated by the generally accepted norms of the setting.

Some individuals might wish to stand up and dance to classical music or to sing along with opera, while others might prefer to sit in passive silence at a rock performance. Nevertheless, there's a consensus of what's appropriate in those various environments that seems based—like, ideally, other standards of public behavior that make up the social contract—on not allowing our actions to interfere with the enjoyment of others to the extent possible.

I think awe and reverence toward what we like is entirely natural and appropriate, and I don't mind the expectation that we express it differently as the circumstances warrant. (While it's possible to sit through a jazz or rock concert without even undulating yet not impinge upon anyone else's experience, it's not the best way to show one's appreciation!)

Steven [/b]
Exactly; that was my point. The awed silence that is expected of us at a classical concert is neither the only way to appreciate good music (or express our appreciation), nor the way the composer expected for such music to be appreciated. No, Mozart probably did not expect the audience to get up and dance and scream - but neither did he expect awed silence with no applause between movements and glares at anyone who dares to applaud. The social construct that is the modern classical concert is of relatively recent vintage, and I think it is hurting classical music.

#589161 11/24/08 01:56 PM
Because the nature of the two kinds of music is quite different, as is the social history behind them. I'm not sitting a table with a drink in hand chatting with friends when the orchestra strikes up Bruckners' 8th. And neither am I sitting in a reserved seat expecting many dozens of musicians to be reading from their score (which I am already familiar with) while a conductor shapes the performance, when instead a few musicians stroll in and casually start to improvise on a chord progression one of the players has come up with a few hours earlier, which I've never heard before.
Again, when this music was written, this is not too far from what happened. A cadenza in a piano concerto was intended to be improvised. In Baroque music, the continuo players were expected to improvise their part. In the Romantic era, lots of composers wrote Impromptus and Fantaisies and other such things that were improvised. The social history may not be all that different - music is music.

I think this is missing the point. Despite some relatively early music being written with the knowledge that there might be a noisy audience, the fact is that most of the classical music we listen to was written with the presumption that listeners would be paying close attention to it, and will be able to hear everything without distraction. For an example, which although extreme is still a good illustration, there are pieces by Webern (and others) that are so soft and evanescent that they literally could be obliterated by a single person in the audience coughing loudly.
Webern, maybe; by that time, the "classical mystique" was fully established, and composers expected to be deified and to be listened to in an awed hush. But if you read an 18th century account of a concert, you might get a relatively different picture. Yes, people paid attention - but people pay attention to rock songs, too, at a rock concert. Attention is not the point. Awed silence is. And 18th century audiences were anything but silent.

Think about opera theatres in the 18th and 19th century - do you think people sat there in awed silence? From contemporary accounts, a lot of talking and socializing and loud noises seemed to go on.

But is going to a movie the same as going to a concert? I don't think so. Besides all sorts of cultural stuff, there's just the plain fact that the movie itself is a recording that can be repeated over and over, and a live concert cannot be repeated ever (even if the pieces played are identical).
This would seem to mean that audiences should be even more awed by jazz concerts; after all, a classical musician plays the same notes over and over and over again, while a jazz musician plays it differently every time.

#589162 11/24/08 03:22 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
It's a shame that classical music has a reputation for being intellectual and repressed, when the live performance thereof is often profoundly moving and emotional.

But of course many, many people will never find this out because, quite frankly, a lot of people who have never been to a recital or concert are put off by all the 'rules' (or, more accurately, are afraid they don't know all the rules and won't know how to act).

It is also a shame that, for those who do attend, the experience is often ruined by mortal fear of having to cough or sneeze...or trying to repress one.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
#589163 11/24/08 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ProdigalPianist:
It is also a shame that, for those who do attend, the experience is often ruined by mortal fear of having to cough or sneeze...or trying to repress one.
I don't have mortal fear of coughing at recitals but I do try very hard to supress/avoid coughing. This can, as you say, become quite unpleasant.

Does anyone know any tricks that can be used to supress coughing? Someone I know who sings in a chorus that performs a lot in public once told me something about squeezing a piece of skin on your wrist as a preventitive measure.

Anyone know any good methods to avoid coughing?

#589164 11/24/08 06:46 PM
I really wonder, incidentally, why there is so much coughing at classical recitals. At the last opera I went to - La Traviata - the coughing was pretty much non-stop. It was quite fitting during the final scene - I'm sure Verdi would have approved - but one really has to wonder what's making all those folks cough so much. I never hear that much coughing - or in fact, any coughing - at movie theaters or jazz clubs or any other venues. Nor do I ever hear any coughing at the lectures I attend in school. Why classical concerts?

#589165 11/24/08 09:01 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's probably the fear of coughing itself that causes so much coughing -- classical concerts have a 'reputation' for coughing.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
#589166 11/24/08 09:25 PM
I am seriously tempted to compose a piece that uses coughing as part of the music, hand out sheetmusic to the audience, and instruct them to cough on cue. Has anyone ever done that?

#589167 11/24/08 10:44 PM
Originally posted by pianoloverus:

Anyone know any good methods to avoid coughing?
i always carry mints or cough drops to concerts - i don't really have a coughing problem tho.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission