Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#589278 - 11/16/07 10:45 AM Stopping by to say hello.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Hi everyone!

I'm doing a little better now that my horrible algebra class is over. I think I came out unscathed with a C+ or B-, if I'm lucky. I'm on school vacation until 12/4 and then I have a mini-vacation after Christmas until January 8th. I'm also on a badly needed work vacation until November 26th. My boss wants me to use up about 3-weeks worth of vacation time by the end of the year. He didn't have to twist my arm, believe me. \:D I only wish I could play more. The desire is there, but the coordination isn't all the time. I do have some good days so I look forward to those more than anything else. The increased medication has helped quite a bit, but this has taken nearly 2-months to finally get me where I was back in July with 4-1/2 pills a day. Yes this is scary, discouraging, and depressing.

Anyway, I'll keep tabs on the forum now that I have more free time.

John

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#589279 - 11/16/07 10:58 AM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Hi John
It's great to hear from you ! Glad you are feeling a bit better and getting some good days in--definitely good news! Enjoy those vacation weeks-- sounds like a very good break with hopefully much time for playing.

Take care and best wishes,

Sophia

#589280 - 11/16/07 11:05 AM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
Hi John!

Sounds like you'll have some time to recoup both physically and musically! \:\) That's good. I was wondering where you were but you must have been working very hard with classes and work.

Nice to see you back and posting.

Ralph

#589281 - 11/16/07 11:06 AM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Hey John,

Good to hear from you, and I hope you get to relax and enjoy your break. When you mentioned the class you've just finished, it made me think of this recent news story:

At New York's JF Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to be a public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a setsquare, a slide rule, and a calculator. At a morning press conference, Attorney General Michael Mukasey said he believes the man is a member of the notorious Al-Gebra movement. He is being charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.

"Al-Gebra is a fearsome cult,", Mukasey said. "They desire average solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a search of absolute value. They use secret code names like "x" and "y" and refer to themselves as "unknowns", but we have determined they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country. "As the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, there are 3 sides to every triangle," Mukasey declared.

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "If God had wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us more fingers and toes. I am gratified that our government has given us a sine that it is intent on protracting us from these math-dogs who are willing to disintegrate us with calculus disregard. Murky statisticians love to inflict plane on every sphere of influence," the President said, adding: "Under the circumferences, we must differentiate their root, make our point, and draw the line. These weapons of math instruction have the potential to decimal everything in their math on a scalene never before seen unless we become exponents of a Higher Power and begin to factor-in random facts of vertex."

Attorney General Mukasey said, "As our Great Leader would say, read my ellipse. Here is one principle he is uncertainty of: though they continue to multiply, their days are numbered as the hypotenuse tightens around their necks."

\:\)

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#589282 - 11/16/07 11:13 AM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
\:D \:D

John, the holidays are approaching, you've got THREE WEEKS' VACATION coming up, and you're DONE WITH ALGEBRA FOREVER. Life is good. \:\)

#589283 - 11/16/07 12:02 PM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
for me, algebra is much easier than Bach, but i'm glad it is finally over for you, and you could enjoy your vacation! have fun on piano now!

#589284 - 11/16/07 01:00 PM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
John, so good to hear from you again. Enjoy those three weeks of vacation. Hope your health improves and that you will once again be able to enjoy playing the piano.

Signa has it right, Algebra is easier than Bach. However, if I recall correctly from your previous posts, John, you don't have much problem with Bach. Lucky you. Gaby Tu

#589285 - 11/16/07 02:07 PM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I wish I had three weeks of work vacation in a row, but that's not the case. I have to go back in between, and occasionally I get called in to help out during my time off. The company only has 12 people so it's kind of difficult when someone is out.

@Gabytu - Bach has gottem me into a snit often enough. I've actually had a better time with Scarlatti and Handel than with Bach. I discovered that the slow practice is thing that helps here.

@Monica - Algebra is horrid and you are right. NEVER AGAIN!!! \:D \:D If I could jump up and down, I would! I got a B- after all. I just checked my grade so it didn't kill my GPA too bad. I started with a solid 4.0 and started the algebra with a 3.89 so now its down to a 3.4. I'll take this any time.

@Michael - Thank you for the very punny story. This had me laughing out loud!

Hi Ralph! I'm back in business sort of. When I get those good days, I put in as much time as I can at the piano and clavichord. Thank you again for the recordings. I keep listening to them over and over.

Hi Sophia - I'm enjoying my vacation very much. \:\)

@Signa - Bach is not easy by any means. The slow methodical practice is really what helps a lot. Algebra is really the same - a lot of practice. I like Bach a lot more than algebra though, which probably explains why I am better at the music than math. ;\)

John

#589286 - 11/16/07 03:14 PM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
John:

Welcome back to the Forum; it's good to "see" you here again. I hope that all continues to go as well as can be expected under the circumstances. Your determination to profit from the good days is a lesson for all of us! Thank you for that.

Regards,

#589287 - 11/17/07 02:07 PM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Citron:
I like Bach a lot more than algebra though, which probably explains why I am better at the music than math.

[/QB]
me too. congratulations on completing your course and best wishes

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#589288 - 11/17/07 03:07 PM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Hello John \:\)

#589289 - 11/18/07 03:07 PM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bruce,

I'm trying my best - ya know keeping that stiff upper lip and trudging along.

Apple,

Thank you. That math was a really dreadful experience. The class was only 5 weeks, but the instructor crammed a full semester's worth of algebra in 4 weeks. I spent more time doing homework than even sleeping. The worst thing was the stupid online practice program and testing. I had to draw graphs with a tremulous hand. Try lining up a ruler between two points, get it almost right, then twitch. It would take me upwards of an hour to get a graph done. Then add insult to injury the system would pull a pop quiz, and have me answer questions about stuff I learned 2 weeks before! This was while I was struggling just to get the homework done! No fun at all is all I can say.

Hi Bassio. how are you doing? \:\)

John

#589290 - 11/18/07 04:19 PM Re: Stopping by to say hello.
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
It is indeed good to hear from you again, John.

Now that you've finished the course, no one will have to cosine your next loan. Whoops, that's trigonometry, of course .... \:D
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it really necessary to practice scales?
by rov
23 minutes 31 seconds ago
Connect virtual piano to a loopstation?
by Fannix-kun
Today at 01:58 PM
Happy Birthday Charles Ives!!
by Dfrankjazz
Today at 01:11 PM
False beating and unison tuning
by SMHaley
Today at 12:41 PM
Erard/Linke - Obtaining info from Museum of Music - France
by wdmcjrd
Today at 11:59 AM
Who's Online
157 registered (Adames, ajames, anamnesis, accordeur, 36251, 40 invisible), 1829 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76594 Members
42 Forums
158381 Topics
2325712 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission