2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by Derulux:
Originally posted by Max W:
[b] I can't imagine anyone not liking the Liszt Sonata!

Liszt is definitely great fun to play. I find its quite hard to present his pieces, when I learned the 12th Hungarian Rhapsody I had trouble getting it to flow as a piece, which is a difficulty that the listener should never hear. Its very satisfying.
*raises hand* I love Liszt. But I hate the sonata. wink [/b]
May I ask why?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Yes De-lux, go read through the sonata, and tell us in detail and in the form of a parable everything you bump into. For example, if you bumped into something nice, you would say you bumped into a bunny or nice frog. Got it?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I like Liszt's music, especially his earlier pieces. I'm working on the TE #10, and it's just horrid! The only reason I'm working on it is because I want to play it. I wish I could play La Camp and the HR #6. I love those pieces!! cool

I don't know what the meaning of life is- I'm too busy to figure it out.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I saw a book which analyzed the sonata, an intellectual feat. It's ok music, but he works together so many motifs in such amazing ways.

If performed properly, "Mazeppa" is incredible. We don't often hear that because going that speed is risky, I suppose. Maybe they are lazy, don't want to work up to the speed.

Beethoven's greatest sonatas have been called dramas of the soul. I would call Mazeppa among the greatest of such works.

The professor at my university analyzed it in great detail, complete harmonic structure, comparison of themes, saying things like, "going to c natural is almost too far", "Random leaps upward, unpredictable", "Octatonic scale", or "Wow!"

In one of his classes he spent three weeks teaching about it. It was the pinnacle of the course, I heard. And this was strictly musical intruction, not technical but analytical.

Ernest Hutcheson calls the sonata a peak of literature, Wagnr described it as "beyond all conception." And to take a quote about schumann's fantasy and apply it to Mazeppa, no quotations set forth its grandeur.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Contrapunctus:
I like Liszt's music, especially his earlier pieces. I'm working on the TE #10, and it's just horrid! The only reason I'm working on it is because I want to play it. I wish I could play La Camp and the HR #6. I love those pieces!! cool
TE10 is also great! I would, for music's sake, change some things in it. For instance, at the descending octaves, I would play an octave in the left hand at the c broken octaves, 2nd time and move some notes down for power, but it is amazing! That's a goal for after Mazeppa.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by dnephi:
[...]an immeasurable intellectual feat.

[...]to probe the greatest heights and depths.

[...] The perfection with which it was written is shocking.
[...]the experience of a lifetime. [...]It is absolutely indescribable.
Perhaps just a touch of hyperbole, here?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
mazeppa is my favorite piece of all time. also, i used to hate the sonata, mostly because i didnt like the main theme, but then it grew on me and i did like how he transforms it throughout, and now its one of my favorites!

John Coltrane saved my life.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BruceD:
Originally posted by dnephi:
[b] [...]an immeasurable intellectual feat.

[...]to probe the greatest heights and depths.

[...] The perfection with which it was written is shocking.
[...]the experience of a lifetime. [...]It is absolutely indescribable.

Regards, [/b]
Yes. Wrote it at 2 in the morning. Mushed in some quotes from Beethoven, Schubert, etc.
I'll go "tone it down"

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Mazeppa is one of my favorite pieces. It's passion and rage is indescribable, the first time I heard it I was absolutely blown away. It's now a workhorse in what I love to listen to.

I'll go out on a limb here and say no. I agreed perfectly with everything that dnephi said.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I love Liszt but I have to agree with those that don't like the sonata. I find it tiresome and forced. Perhaps if I was able to play it I would like it better. On the other hand Mazzepa and the soneto 104 are out of this world. And not to forget his equally amazing transcriptions i.e. Widmung.

I've been listening to some recordings of Liszt's last pieces. Almost atonal and very sad. He was truly ahead of his time.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Still waiting for D's parable... In the meanwhile, here's mine about Liszt's Mazeppa:

A horse--no, I'm not even trying to be original, I'm just telling the story objectively and literally--a horse is sleeping a slightly troubled sleep, perhaps a few premonitions are running through his mind. You can see no rider of any kind, this is likely just about the horse. Small rabbits are jumping around, they're terribly afraid. There's a dark lake nearby, and something big's astir, just below the surface, and it's--AH IT JUMPS OUT OF THE WATER! The horse wakes up and runs away. But the monster runs away behind him. In fact, the horse is only trying to run away, a huge, ugly monster right behind him. He runs and runs, he stumbles, he stumbles again, badly; he recovers and runs again. But the monster ran over him or jumped over him (we are not sure which), while he was stumbling. Now the monster is in front of the horse, and the horse must front it or die horribly. The horse fronts the monster and fights it. He kills the monster, and resumes his earthbound muddy flight, for he knows he cannot really kill the monster and the monster is just playing dead (some monsters do have a sense of fun, this one certainly does). So the flight or pursuit (depending on how you look at it) continues. We'll call it a flight, for man is closer to the horse than to the amphibious sea monster, and can identify much better with the former. So the flight continues. At this point, Liszt abandons his story for purely musical drama, so the story gets a bit surreal, but bear with me. Now the horse wakes up from a dream, and realizes the monster was but an aspect of a dream or nightmare. Unfortunately, the horse wakes up in the year 2801, when there are no other horses anymore, and so he searches for them to no avail for an eternity which feels like a few minutes, and then--

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's what I call a big imagination.

I don't know what the meaning of life is- I'm too busy to figure it out.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And then the world wonders what on earth is going on?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
No, when the eternity I mentioned has passed, the world ends and begins anew. (That means you have to listen to or play the piece again.)

Derulux, come out of your cave or apartment, and accept the challenge!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission