2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#589699 03/06/08 11:25 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello, I am thinking about auditioning at USF for piano performance, and here are their requirements:

"Audition Requirements Piano (Undergraduate)

B.M. Piano Performance Degree and Piano Pedagogy Degree

Please pick from three of the following list of four categories. All works should be performed from memory.

1. J. S. Bach Prelude and Fugue from the Well Tempered Clavier Book 1 or 2

-or- Two movements from a J. S. Bach French Suite, English Suite, or Partita
-or- Two contrasting D. Scarlatti Sonatas

2. One movement form a Classical Period Sonata
(Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, or Schubert)

3. A Major Romantic Period Work

4. A 20th Century work

Sightreading may also be requested at the audition.

B. A. degree Music Major, or a Minor in Music

Please be prepared to play two contrasting works, each from a different time period. One of the two works should be performed from memory. Sightreading may also be requested at the audition."

The pieces I know and have memorized are:

Beethoven "Moonlight Sonata" (all three movements)
Chopin "Military Polonaise"
Chopin "Minute Waltz"
Chopin "Waltz #7"
Rachmaninoff "Prelude in C#Minor"

What do you think of my chances, and what should I play?

Any and all help would be very appreciated.

Colin Thomson

Colin Thomson

Sight Reading Academy: Premium Account - Get started for free with this link: http://bit.ly/1gYoKWd
#589700 03/06/08 11:37 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Can't say what your chances are, because we have no idea how well you play the pieces you listed.

The pieces you've listed are all very common intermediate pieces - if you want to stand out in an audition, you'll either need to play the heck out of those pieces, or you'll need to pick some more substantial repertoire.

If you're going for the B.M., you're short some pieces, you need some Bach and a 20th century piece. Also, the Chopin waltzes wouldn't count as a "major" romantic work - they're too short to be seen as substantial. Even the polonaise is debatable as to whether it is substantial enough.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
#589701 03/06/08 08:57 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Chopin and Rachmaninoff are both Romantic, so you'll probably need to add either a baroque or 20th century work.

That being said, the program you have might be acceptable, you'll just have to call the faculty and ask.

Also, if you go to USF for piano, you MUST study with Ivanov. He's completely brilliant in every way and you will thank me for years to come. (He's a friend of mine, and one my favorite people on the planet.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#589702 03/06/08 10:40 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Can't I please call Rachmaninoff 20th century? Please?

Also, I saw USF has a 'School Of Music" department. Does anybody know if that is like a conservatory, or does it still require the same amount of core studying? I will email them and ask, but I just wanted to see if anyone around here knew.

Thanks.

Colin Thomson

Colin Thomson

Sight Reading Academy: Premium Account - Get started for free with this link: http://bit.ly/1gYoKWd
#589703 03/06/08 11:08 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
I looked at the USF website, and the University of South Florida does not seem to offer any music at all. Neither does the University of San Francisco.

Semipro Tech
#589704 03/06/08 11:27 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Yeah, it is weird. I didn't find a link to it through the USF (south Florida) site either, but found this through google:

http://music.arts.usf.edu/

Colin Thomson

#589705 03/06/08 11:56 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Colin Thomson:
Can't I please call Rachmaninoff 20th century? Please?

Colin :

You may call Rachmaninoff whatever you like to call him. Most juries, however, consider his style as late Romantic, and would not consider his piano works as examples of 20th century literature, particularly where there is an expectation that the 20th century work be a contrast to a Romantic work.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#589706 03/07/08 12:01 AM
I take classes at USF. They most definitely have a School of Music there.

Kevin

[Linked Image]
Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.
#589707 03/07/08 12:15 AM
Like I said, my friend teaches at USF, they have a music school, and the piano program is fairly strong.

It's a pretty typical mid-sized music school. It's not based on a conservatory model, but fits nicely within NASM guidelines. The designation "School of Music" is mostly just a name thing. It's still a university department and standard undergraduate degree requirements still apply.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
#589708 03/07/08 03:05 PM
Yeah thats kinda rough, a mean the moonlight 3rd movement is perfect. As for the romantic, waltz are definetely not major works. You might luck out with the polonaise, just make sure you call or email them and make sure, but you'd better play it exceptionally. Skip the 20th Century. Go with a Bach Prelude and Fugue. Bk 1 in C minor. its the 2nd one. Its really easy. You wont have a problem with it.

Currently Working:
Brahms: Intermezzo Op.119 no.3 in C

Currently Polishing:
Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu Op. 66
#589709 03/07/08 05:20 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Are the 2 part inventions too easy? I ask because I am working on no. 4 right now, and it would be easier to get by the audition date (March 21). I e-mailed and asked them, but haven't gotten a responce yet.

Colin Thomson

Colin Thomson

#589710 03/07/08 05:46 PM
There not too bad.. There no harder than the fugues. But the list says you have to play 2 parts from a partita or a prelude/fugue? Usually inventions arent what there looking for with bach. Im telling you work on that Cm. I didnt know you were so pressed for time. You could try the first one in C maj. You'll learn and memorize the prelude in like an hour lol... The fugues a little tougher than the Cm though.. But if they accept inventions I love no.8 in F, and the one in A minor, I think its No.13. Its awesome because there all two pages. At least all the ones I like. I used to play the first one in C.

Currently Working:
Brahms: Intermezzo Op.119 no.3 in C

Currently Polishing:
Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu Op. 66
#589711 03/07/08 10:17 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Yeah, I kind of am pressed for time. That is why I was hoping an invention would work. smile

So, someone at Piano Street just told me my pieces were WAY too easy to get accepted into any university with anything like standards (or something like that). Am I just fooling myself with this? I am 18, turning 19 in June. Music is my passion, and Piano and Composition are my strengths. I think I have more natural talant in composition, but next to no training, with just a bunch of my own research for that. I have been trained in Piano, so I thought that would probably be the way to go.

But please be real with me. I really am not sure why I am not further in piano. I practice quite a bit, and try real hard. It just comes harder for some than others.

Anyway, I might try recording myself, so I can get some better feedback on what my options are.

Colin Thomson

Colin Thomson

#589712 03/07/08 10:48 PM
T
T
I haven't read all the replies but here is my idea:
The requirement is not tough
Skip the 20th cent.

1. J. S. Bach Prelude and Fugue from the Well Tempered Clavier Book 1 or 2 3mins
B flat major of c minor of book 1 are the easiest.
Try B flat major if u are hurry.
if you are confident play the G major one in bk 1.
or sth longer doesnt matter if it is slow.

2. One movement form a Classical Period Sonata
(Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, or Schubert)
Do the 3rd mvt. 5-6 mins
it is a bit too short do u have Sth else?? the moonlight is actually a sonata-fantasia it's difficult to seperate it into 3 mvts.

3. A Major Romantic Period Work
Is the Chopin longer than 10 minutes? 10mins
then it will be fine

#589713 03/07/08 11:33 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The level of difficulty between the 2-part inventions vs. what they're asking for the Baroque period (suites, WTC, etc) is pretty different. I wouldn't bring inventions without advance permission.

At the same time, I generally advise people not to focus on the "level of difficulty" of their audition repertoire, rather they should focus on playing it well, whether hard/easy/weird/traditional...

There's a good bit of lousy advice I've read on that other forum, though I haven't spent much time in their equivalent of the pianist corner. Some of the stuff I've read there with regard to piano makers is just laughable...

For the sake of reference, I spent about 7-9 months learning my undergrad audition program for conservatory auditions.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
#589714 03/07/08 11:41 PM
C
OP Offline
C
The polonaise is probably only like 5 or 6 minutes. But they told me that auditions usually last about 10 to 15 mins, so I should have more than enough material.

Colin Thomson

#589715 03/08/08 12:45 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Given the level you describe, I would steer clear of any fugues for an audition--you can learn those once you are in a school. I would advise my private students auditioning for my school, Brooklyn College, on your level, with two contrasting movements from a French Suite, say, a Courante or Allemande with a Saraabande, or a Gigue. Offer the entire Beethoven and let them choose what they want, atleast it's the one full piece you have of length. The Chopin group is a good idea, considering none of them are very long. 20th century--can you muster up the haunting Samuel Barber 'Nocturne'? It isn't terribly difficult and it creates a good mood and is 20th century.

#589716 03/08/08 02:11 AM
LISTEN TO BIEGEL.

www.pianoped.com
#589717 03/08/08 02:26 AM
By the way, seriously consider taking the program you describe above "as is."

Even though the Rachmaninoff is basically romantic, I would much rather hear repertoire that you play well over repertoire that you threw together on short notice. My guess is the audition committee there would feel the same. Consider Beethoven, the Polonaise, and the Rachmaninoff. (Maybe ask first, but I would rather hear that than Beethoven, Polonaise, and something that's not well prepared.)

And if you play it well, I wouldn't take the invention off the table, either.

www.pianoped.com
#589718 03/08/08 02:28 AM
Oh, and ignore the Pianostreet people. They live mostly in a fantasy world where only conservatory grads have a chance at making a living doing music.

(As opposed to the real world, where people like you go on to have rewarding careers in music all the time...)

www.pianoped.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission