Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#589933 - 05/17/07 05:31 PM The limits of improvisation
Reaper978 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What do you think the limits of improvisation are?

If someone had masterful composition skills, a brilliant ear, and a great technique, could that person churn out something as extraordinary as... oh, I don't know, 3 movements of Petroushka?

I just find it fun to think that the pianist is improvising while I listen to obviously pre-composed music.

But if the technique and compositional knowledge is there, what's stopping the pianist from simply improvising pieces?

At the moment I would like to study composition and improvisation. Now that it has become clear that counterpoint between improvised jazz and classical music is fundamentally the same (it's just expressed differently), this has my mind going all over the place. Listening to pianists like Eldar, where a classical presence is VERY visible, also makes me wonder what the true limitations, or even if there are any.

This is becoming extremely interesting.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#589934 - 05/17/07 05:49 PM Re: The limits of improvisation
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

unlimited..I just viewed a DVD called free improvisation..with Marilyn Crispwell..
in the end she was playing weird things..
..well it sounded like Von Dexter..creepy soundtrack stuff...so you can go from being tasteful..to bizzare..

#589935 - 05/17/07 06:06 PM Re: The limits of improvisation
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
I guess it is only limited by your abilities and/or your imagination.

#589936 - 05/17/07 07:28 PM Re: The limits of improvisation
Kisch Offline

Loc: Bristol
Whatever the limitations are, Keith Jarrett must be sailing pretty close to them - some of the finest piano albums ever recorded, entirely improvised.

#589937 - 05/17/07 11:58 PM Re: The limits of improvisation
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
The limits of improvisation are in the lack of deliberation. Too often, when I listen to a very fine pianist improvising, or a good jazz group, I hear idiom and mood, but I do not hear composition.

Composition takes place over a longer period of time than improvisation. Something meaningful happens when a composer takes the time to cross out something and rescore it. I call this "deliberation."

Improvisation usually lacks this quality of deliberation, although it may have a spontanious quality. To my ear, though, it usually lacks weight and gravitas, and does not transcend the moment.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#589938 - 05/18/07 12:28 AM Re: The limits of improvisation
steveb40 Offline

Loc: New York City
I agree with some of what Tomasino says (and I'm a professional improviser), however I would say the difference is that when I improvise I'm tapping into an emotional core that can only exisit at that moment in time.

I think if it lacks wieght and gravitas then you may be listening to the wrong music. There are many levels of improvisation in jazz and unfortunately the term has become synonomous with some boring music in today's society.

I consider the greatest music to be composed music (not all of it, of course) by some great composers and many who were also great players...Scriabin, Beethoven, Prokofiev etc...

But to discount improvisation would be such a narrow view in this life for some of my most precious musical listening experiences have been from improvisers, both recorded and in concert (Bill Evan's version of Ellington's Reflections in D comes to mind). Improvised music is very deep and can speak volumes...Like everything great it requires knowledge of the language and a familiarity with the art. To me it most definitely transcends the mundane existence of day to day life.

This comes from someone who enjoys both equally and I'm thankful each day...Great music knows no boundaries...

#589939 - 05/18/07 11:12 AM Re: The limits of improvisation
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
 Quote:
Originally posted by tomasino:
Improvisation usually lacks this quality of deliberation, although it may have a spontanious quality. To my ear, though, it usually lacks weight and gravitas, and does not transcend the moment.
I beg to differ! Some of the greatest, and indeed *transcendent* organ works of the 20th century began as improvisations. (Excuse my bringing up organ music again, but it is a specialty of mine... \:\) )

Consider this list: Duruflé Reconstructions

Maurice Duruflé spent many tedious hours with gramophone recordings, transcribing masterful improvisations. I doubt he would have expended all that effort if the works lacked weight and gravitas, and did not 'transcend the moment'. The url above is also a partial list of the many recordings of these transcriptions.

The Tournemire pieces in particular, are a cornerstone of French 20th-century organ music today. His improvisation on the "Te Deum" is a work I've performed many times. The work is always fresh, always stunning. I have no doubt that it was completely improvised on the spot on that fateful day in 1931 when the recording engineers came to St-Clotilde to "capture" Tournemire's improvisational genius for posterity.

And so it is with the French organists.

Another great improvisateur whose works were transcribed by many, many others: Pierre Cochereau.

Colin, you keep asking questions about improvisation - if you would check out any of the organ improvisation CDs I keep recommending ;\) you would know[/b] the answer to some of these questions! Check out some Cochereau CDs or perhaps the "Symphonie-Passion" of Marcel Dupré. Yes, an improvised symphony! \:\)

#589940 - 05/18/07 12:00 PM Re: The limits of improvisation
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by whippen boy:
Colin, you keep asking questions about improvisation - if you would check out any of the organ improvisation CDs I keep recommending ;\) you would know[/b] the answer to some of these questions! Check out some Cochereau CDs or perhaps the "Symphonie-Passion" of Marcel Dupré. Yes, it is an entire symphony! \:\)
Yes, Colin- by all means. I know these works well -I have mentioned the Duruflé reconstructions elsewhere several times- and they are fine examples of the French improvisational style in full flower. The Tournemire (via Duruflé) Victimae paschali laudes will knock your socks off- and freighten your neighbors!

Dupré's Symphonie-Passion is also impressive, particularly the last movement, though I suspect when he came around to notating it, some parts may have been "tightened up" a bit. (Am I correct, whippen?)

#589941 - 05/18/07 12:12 PM Re: The limits of improvisation
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I think a large ratchet might have been involved, yes. ;\)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (36251, AmateurBob, AndresD, ajames, 38 invisible), 1537 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156335 Topics
2296053 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K48
by johnfin
19 minutes 18 seconds ago
High school student questions..
by lavienrose16
Today at 10:38 AM
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
Today at 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
Today at 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
Today at 08:56 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission