2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
OP Offline
J
Okay, now I'm gonna go out on a limb and say something here and please don't take it as male chauvanism, or anything like that cause it's all done in good fun, though I think I've got a valid point somewhere in here. I just heard a news report: Scientists say that human evolution has stopped. Yeah, we have it too easy now so we've stopped evolving, according to the experts. But that's not the case if you've seen any of the lady pianists out there who are breaking into the professional circuit. Any of you guys heard of Naida Cole? Or Katrine Gislinge? Or Noriko Ogawa? Or Laura Manzani? Or Chitose Okashiro, to name just a few? These young ladies are beautiful enough to be professional models, not to mention the fact that they can play rings around some of their better known peers. In the old days we had Gina Bachhauer, Clara Haskil, and some others that weren't exactly candidates for the Miss Universe pagent. So what happened? How is it we have so many talented and gorgeous ladies now who are burning up the keyboard? Any thoughts? Are woman pianists still evolving - getting more and more beautiful as time progresses?

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: JoeTownley ]

Y
yok Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Y
In the old days we had Gina Bachhauer, Clara Haskil, and some others that weren't exactly candidates for the Miss America pagent.

Well, d'uh: they weren't American. laugh

On the subject of Naida Cole, have a look at the comments by Violaboy on her bulletin board at naidacole.com. Quite funny.
http://www.naidacole.com/indexPERSON.html

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: yok ]

J
OP Offline
J
I saw it and thought it extremely low-class and totally inappropriate for a BBS. Naida Cole didn't put the board up for silly remarks like that. Violaboy ruins things for the rest of us.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I can't honestly say that I've heard of any of those people, but there are some very good female pianists out there that I have heard of. One of my top favriotes has become Martha Argerich. Another is Sylvia Capova. Thats all I can think of for now, but I'll post again once other names come to mind. Its 1/2 hour to midnight where I'm at, its too late to think of names.

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Another pianistic beauty whose artistry I admire is Helene Grimaud.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
I disagree about Okashiro's playing; it's cautious at best (at least it was when I heard her live).

As usual, Andrew is right on the money. Helene Grimaud = !!!!!!!!!!

J
OP Offline
J
You're right! How could I have forgotten Helene Grimaud, the first female pianist I fell in love with!!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
How about another 'beauty & piano' Cecil Licad? Her rendition of Saint-Saens 2nd with Andre Previn is really a gem! To my ear, of course.

J
OP Offline
J
Yes, Cecile IS beautiful. The only reason I did not include her is because she is pushing forty and is getting ready to join that fabulous collection of "Grand Dames of the Pianoforte" (heh heh)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No offense taken, Joe. I also think Helene Grimaud is the best, but it has nothing to do with her looks. It has to do with how she "speaks" through her playing. She's awesome.
I realize that in you "youngsters", hormones rule, but just in case you need to be reminded, beauty comes from the INSIDE. And it has no age limits. Pushing 40, indeed. I will slug the next person who refers to ME as a Grand Dame of anything! wink Jodi

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jodi -- here, here!

now, who are the hot studs in male pianodom? wink

penny wink

F
F
Guess I started playing too late.... ;-)

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Penny,
That would definitely be ME! wink

Sincerely,
Eldon
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Penny:

now, who are the hot studs in male pianodom? ;D

RIGHT HERE, BABY. laugh

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Penny,

I'm reluctant to describe exactly how good-looking I am because it would probably cause female synapses to implode...

wink

Dave (pretty average-looking really)

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Penny:

now, who are the hot studs in male pianodom? wink

penny wink

We need the ladies on this forum to chime in to answer this, right?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Why are we giving space and importance to a discussion (?) of a pianist's "good looks"? Only in America, I guess... <Sigh!>

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
OP Offline
J
Bruce,
Because the music world, in the final analysis, is no different than the movie world. Both are forms of entertainment. It's just that classical music has gotten this lofty Olympian reputation as entertainment strictly for highbrows. But beauty is beauty. No denying that. Whether on a calendar or at a piano bench, we like to watch beauty as well as listen to some beautiful music being made. If the female looks like Tripple H, or Triple Sec, or whatever the heck that wrestler's name is, then we more or less close our eyes and just indulge ourselves in the music. But make no mistakes. The two have to go together. You cannot have beauty along with a dog of a performance as we get with that Zoltan Teszleri, who I refer to in another post on this board. That is some of the worst playing I have ever heard. I'd be ashamed to leave a musical testament like that behind to besmirch my former good reputation. But, of course, he's a man, so the point of this post does not apply (boy, am I gonna get it from the females on this board with that one!!) But it's only because most men are more driven by hormones than musical tastes and prefer to look at the likes of Naida Cole or Katrine Gislinge or Laura Manzini while listening to excellent playing than having to feast their eyes on all 400 pounds of Gina Baucher spilling over the piano bench.

K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Jodi and Penny, I have great internal beauty.

Have you SEEN my pancreas?

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: kenny ]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Boy, the pea****s -- oops, that word won't pass the censor! -- sure like to strut their stuff.

I was just teasin' guys, but if you INSIST, you can always mail your photos to me for completely fair arbitration!

penny

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission