Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#591605 - 02/21/02 09:07 PM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Gorgeous in your eyes. At this point in time. You take a time machine back and show your favorite photos to a young male, and he would probably think ugly. In fact, definitions of "beauty" are not even the same from culture to culture today. Tone down the testosterone, and lets talk music. ;\) Jodi

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#591606 - 02/21/02 09:30 PM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
T2 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodion:
but if it's gonna make more people buy a cd because a babe is on the cover then by god let them hear some piano music![/b]

Sure, whatever sells. More power to 'em. Actually, I would rather like the idea of a classical musician selling a platinum record.

I could just see the scene: thousands of screaming teenyboppers mobbing, well, Seiji Ozawa. Only now he is sporting a new hair cut, a tatoo and an earring. (Plus he's had liposuction.) The throngs crowd around him to touch him or to tear a piece of his clothing. Or faint at the sight of him. Then he could come out with a new video that would be shown on MTV of Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" showing a close-up of him looking savage, primal and seductive. Classical stations would play this recording every hour for months while MTV conducts interviews with star-struck teenagers saying: "Ooohh, I just love Seji. He's like, wow, like he's the best." Meanwhile, young kids could collect trading cards of Ozawa for Yo-Yo Ma, Emanuel Ax and Leonard Slatkin.

Pretty silly, eh? Tough to immagine? But just think, for a person living in the 14th century it would have been unthinkable that musicians, lowly musicians--somewhere between a brigand and a cook in the medieval social heirarchy--would be considered idols and heroes 600 years hence. So, maybe the idea of a classical superstar isn't beyond the realm of immagination.

T2

#591607 - 02/22/02 01:22 AM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
Rodion Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
t2,

actually the equivilant of all that for the 1800's is what happened to liszt and other famous performers of the day, like thalberg. women supposedly fought over liszt's cigar butts...

#591608 - 02/22/02 01:26 AM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
Rodion Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rodion:

if it's gonna make more people buy a cd because a babe is on the cover then by god let them hear some piano music![/b]

i meant this as a way to expose more people to classical music, not so much as a way to make more money (which isn't a bad thing).

#591609 - 02/22/02 03:09 AM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
yok Offline

Loc: New Zealand
 Quote:
I think you have to have some sympathy for these talented young musicians who happen to be not only female but also attractive.

Actually, the ones I feel sorry for are the equally talented musicians who because they are less marketable do not get those opportunities at all. If you widen the view (so to speak) to violinists and singers as well as pianists, there is no mistaking the phenomenon Joe describes. I think it reflects cultural rather than biological evolution, however. There has probably never been a larger pool of highly talented, classically trained musicians at any time, yet at the same time the market for their talents, particularly in the recording industry, is shrinking or static at best. When there is so much competition for so few opportunities, it's inevitable that those with more than only musical gifts are advantaged.

#591610 - 02/22/02 08:13 AM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I do go to concerts when I can but since the vast majority of my listening to most of classical music is via CDs rather than via live concerts - isn't that true of most of us - it doesn't matter to me what s/he looks like if s/he makes beautiful music.

For female performers, isn't it also a question of cultural change, call it cultural evolution, if you will? One hundred years ago - or more - how many young women even considered embarking on a concert career compared to those who are having successful concert careers now? Yes, there were a few who did and were relatively successful at it, but surely they were considered exceptions to the "norm." As in so many professions, the role of women has changed considerably over the last century. The concept of what it is "acceptable" for women to do has vastly evolved. I think this is one of those areas.

Regards,

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: BruceD ]
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#591611 - 02/22/02 08:23 AM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
BruceD,

More and more DVDs of classical concerts or recitals are emerging, particularly in other parts of the world. I find it exceptionally rewarding and gratifying watching these DVDs and enjoying CD quality sound in your living room. To be able to watch the pianistic greats playing is really something. I just wish US market will catch on with this new trend. I like this new development...

#591612 - 02/22/02 08:31 AM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Eldon,

I also prefer Gina's "Emperor" Concerto over many others. Hers is very high on my 'must have' list of recordings. Maybe it's due to the fact that she was a big lady her Brahms 2nd is another great recording. It may not be in the league of Richter's 1960 performance with Chicago Symphony under Leinsdorf. It is, nevertheless an outstanding and mercurial reading. I always think the lofty Brahms 2nd is a men's concerto. Hope I'm not opening a can of worms by saying this.

#591613 - 02/22/02 08:47 AM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
Diarmuid Offline

I suppose it depends what type of "evolution" you value the most. I'm really not of the opinion that society’s obsession with youth and physical beauty is a great sign of intellectual or cultural evolution. In fact it's an absolutely retrograde trend. I despair when beauty wins over talent.

Hey, I'm not usually this serious

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Diarmuid ]

#591614 - 02/22/02 11:12 AM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Jodi:

1)I am not a colorfully-feathered male bird;
2)I don't do even "nice" or "normal" dances, let alone ridiculous ones;
3)while I may act, at times, like a baboon, I do not have a pink (what you said);
4)I see no general (i.e. evolutionary) trend to larger breasts in the modern women.

Perhaps I have not yet evolved!

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#591615 - 02/22/02 01:31 PM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
wghornsby Offline

Loc: KY
me play piano,
drag wife by hair

ug

#591616 - 02/22/02 02:26 PM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Ok, Bruce, wg - now I'm laughing! Jodi \:D

#591617 - 02/22/02 10:19 PM Re: Is Evolution dead?? Not if you've checked out the beauties playing pro piano today!
Eldon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Andrew,
I'll have to find Gina's Brahms #2! You're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about the Richter/Chicago recording. It's phenomonal. \:\) I wish I could have heard Richter in recital. Have you? I think Argerich would do something amazing with the Brahms.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (A Guy, Akshay, AZ_Astro, ando, 36251, 44 invisible), 1674 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153577 Topics
2250796 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
04/19/14 08:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission