Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#592886 - 12/18/06 12:14 AM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
Mark Purney Offline

Loc: Mesa, AZ
This is going in circles, and I think a lot of this arguing is just unnecessary. Nobody is claiming that digitals are better than acoustic grands. Nobody is even arguing that digitals are even anywhere near as good as good acoustic grands (I'm certainly not making that claim). So why such the heated debate? We should narrow this discussion to addressing the poster's original question and helping him make a REALISTIC decision for his circumstances. I interpret his question as:

"If you don't have the money or the space for an acoustic grand, and silent practice is required, will a CLP be sufficient for studying advanced material?"

An acoustic grand isn't even an option here! As I see it, the person asking the question has two options: A digital, or an upright that has a silent practice mechanism. And if his budget is limited to the cost of a CLP-270, this severely limits the range of upright choices to used or low quality uprights.

I simply could not recommend a low quality upright to someone over a CLP-270, because I think the digital, IN THIS SITUATION, is superior for studying advanced material.

The acoustic pianos I had growing up were not good. In fact, they were far inferior to today's CLP digitals in quality of sound and action. Despite that, I got as far as competing in concerto competitions by age 12, and even performed a concerto with an orchestra at that age. Since buying a CLP-175 a few months ago I feel I've been able to advance beyond the level I was when I quit studying at age 14 at the Cleveland Institute.

I do hope to get an acoustic grand myself, but I'm not ready to make that purchase at this time for various reasons. Even after that happens, I will continue to use the digital for silent practice - lots of it.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#592887 - 12/18/06 03:50 PM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
mwf Offline

Loc: Peterborough, England
Hi

The main question I have is do I really need an acoustic upright not grand, in order to develop musically and technically, thus managing pieces of a more advanced nature such as complex, dissonant music like you find in Islamey or Gaspard.

On the other hand, would a Clavinova be ok for more arguably simpler music such as Mozart, where obviously phrasing amongst other aspects are crucial.

Michael gives me the impression that I need an acoustic upright to practice music like this, and he writes Clavinova models off as nothing more than a tool to sight-read or for making first steps towards a piece. This has thrown be a tad because he has the clp280, in my opinion a great instrument for all round piano performance.

Using an upright to me may be an unwise choice because playing with the silent pedal all the time will ruin my musical experience. And its still loud in my books anyway compared to the volume turned down on a digital piano.

I also dont think clp models or any digital piano can compete with an acoustic grand, I never said that. I just wanted to reasure myself that practicing soley on a Clavinova piano for hours a day will be ok, and not make me less of a pianist compared to someone who plays uprights, not grands, all the time.

Basically is owning an acoustic upright of paramount importance when considering to venture into advanced piano literature? Is practice soley on a digital piano such as a Clp model an unwise move to make? Considering of course I currently have no access to a grand piano. I know uprights have wooden keys, real strings and apparently tone colour control as compared to digital pianos which consist of none of the above criteria, well apart from perhaps wooden keys on some models.

Finally the clp-280 is out of my price range, so I have opted for the clp-270, I dont think the wooden white keys matter enough for the significant price difference. They both have the same features anyway.

Yamaha to me have got it right as far as digital pianos are concerned, and I cant see anything close to the Clavinova clp range in the other companies models such as Roland.

You see the above post by Mark Purney is reassuring, however the post by hakki is not, there is no mention of a case for suitable advanced piano on a Clavinova piano. I dont think I can get a good quality full size upright, as the post mentions is crucial.

Anyway many thanks for the replies I have received from the members of this excellent forum, I have learnt quite a bit already, any more replies to this post would be greatly appreciated.

MWF.

#592888 - 12/19/06 12:43 PM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I just noticed that the link I gave is not working anymore. So here's the new link.

http://www.savefile.com/files/350610

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#592889 - 12/19/06 02:49 PM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
Jan-Erik Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
I think you can go very far technically on a Clavinova. Read scores, learn to hit the correct keys in the correct time with correct force.
perhaps the greatest differnce lays in hte sustain pedal and the absence of natural resonance.

I regularly train on a Yamaha P80 and Kawai ES3, and during week and enjoy the sound of a real piano. The action, however, of the best digitals are superior to the actions of many uprights, and more consistent.

A big problem indeed that piano actions are so various!

#592890 - 12/20/06 12:45 AM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
ScrpPian Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mwf:
Hi,

This is my first post on this rather good forum,

I am currently in the progress of saving some money up for a new Yamaha Clavinova CLP-270 and I was just concerned that after reading up alot on digital pianos, concerning the advantages and more importantly disadvantages of owning a piano such as this, is it a wise choice to make considering I am a fairly advanced player and tend to focus on technically difficult and musically challenging pieces?

I was wondering if a model such as the CLP270 could handle, as it were, musically and technically pieces that I want to start playing, like Rachmaninov preludes, gaspard, islamey etc.. I am not sure if an acoustic piano is a must to have and practice pieces like this on, as I have heard time and time again.

Can Clavinovas be effectively played on to a concert standard for the more richer harmonic pieces for example?

Could the above pieces I have mentioned be effectively performed on a digital piano such as a CLP270? I personally feel I could after playing the clp270 for some time in a piano showroom, however people say there is no control over tone colour amongst other things, I dont want to buy it and regret the choice after a few years or so. Its alot of money and I dont want to regret my decision.

The reason why I have opted for a clavinova digital piano as apposed to an acoustic upright is because I need to practice silently most of the time and the actual tone of the clp270 I have fell in love with, and I find it more pleasing to the ear than alot of other real uprights I have tryed out, including a Yamaha upright worth originally five thousand pounds!!!

Please, please could people share their views and opinions on this matter, I am currently set on purchasing the CLP270 you see.

I have also heard top music schools have clavinova pianos as practice instruments for the students, so they must be suitable for performing the more advanced repertoire, the route I wish to take.

Thanks.
MWF

MWF [/b]
NO!!!!!!!!

#592891 - 12/23/06 03:46 PM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mwf:

Yamaha to me have got it right as far as digital pianos are concerned, and I cant see anything close to the Clavinova clp range in the other companies models such as Roland.

You see the above post by Mark Purney is reassuring, however the post by hakki is not, there is no mention of a case for suitable advanced piano on a Clavinova piano. I dont think I can get a good quality full size upright, as the post mentions is crucial.

Anyway many thanks for the replies I have received from the members of this excellent forum, I have learnt quite a bit already, any more replies to this post would be greatly appreciated.

MWF. [/b]
Since I haven't tried the Yamaha 270, I can't comment on that. My assessments are based on the Roland HP107 I own. I find it difficult at times to play advanced pieces on my Roland because the sounds are sampled at 4 levels of velocity only. Sometimes, notes that would sound normal on an acoustic piano come out louder than I intend due to this factor. Yet, if you find the 10-1 I play on my Roland acceptable, then why not go with a digital.

Regards,

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#592892 - 12/23/06 04:05 PM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
The Emperor Offline

Loc: Lagos, Portugal
I think the best way to go is to connect the clavinova to a pc and play with a good sample library like synthogy's ivory, much better sound than the clavinova.

I have a clp 230 and i'm quite happy with it, next month finally i will upgrade my pc and get ivory and it will sound a lot lot better with the speakers of the clavinova + 4 from pc/stereo system all around me. It's going to be cool.

Of course i whish i had a acoustic but i live in an apartment so it's not recommended.

#592893 - 12/24/06 08:00 AM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
ROFL hey mwf you might want to learn a little bit of something called humility you're a dumb noob that crawled out of the woodwork with zero posts and by your 5th one you're already waging personal attacks on a respected member here that was offering you his mere opinion and advice. Sounds to me like the only "arrogant" chap here is you. Better learn some manners boy or your tenure here at pianoworld will be quite a short one.

#592894 - 12/24/06 10:52 AM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Requiem Aeternam:
ROFL hey mwf you might want to learn a little bit of something called humility you're a dumb noob that crawled out of the woodwork with zero posts and by your 5th one you're already waging personal attacks on a respected member here that was offering you his mere opinion and advice. Sounds to me like the only "arrogant" chap here is you. Better learn some manners boy or your tenure here at pianoworld will be quite a short one. [/b]
I completely agree. I thought Michael's responses were polite, on point and sincere attempts to answer the question asked while MWF quickly descended to personal attacks apparently because Michael had the temerity to disagree with him. In re-reading the thread I was impressed by Michael's continued polite responses and willingness to keep trying to explain his position in the face of increasingly hostile responses from MWF.

Take your anger elsewhere MWF. If you ask for an opinion at least be prepared for the possibility that it might differ from your own.

#592895 - 12/24/06 11:56 AM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
hallelujah and amen brotha, merry christmas to all \:\)

#592896 - 12/25/06 06:46 PM Re: Advanced piano on Clavinova CLP?
mwf Offline

Loc: Peterborough, England
Sorry folks... I like this forum, so I will become polite from now on and respect the members properly as I should. Merry Christmas.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (ando, 36251, Almaviva, accordeur, 53 invisible), 1797 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153499 Topics
2249408 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
Today at 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
Today at 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 07:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission