Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#593428 - 10/03/07 02:36 AM Metronome question
calpiano Offline

Loc: California
How do you practice irregular rhythms (for example 7/8) and constantly changing meters (between 3/4 and 5/8, say) at fast tempos with a metronome?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#593429 - 10/03/07 09:34 PM Re: Metronome question
calpiano Offline

Anyone? I have heard about metronomes that help you do this but I'm not sure if I should buy another metronome just for this purpose...

#593430 - 10/03/07 09:46 PM Re: Metronome question
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If I'm understanding your question correctly, keep the 8th note constant between the time signatures. Any metronome can do this.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#593431 - 10/03/07 09:52 PM Re: Metronome question
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I don't know of any metronomes that will actually change tempos, but some metronomes can be programmed for less common rhythms. Again, I don't know of any that can be programmed to beat to multiple rhythms within a given piece.

Those that can be programmed can simply be commanded to give a special sound on the first beat of the bar, so if you set it for 7/8 rhythm, then every 7th beat there will be a different sound to indicate the first beat of the bar.

Nor do I know of any metronome that can be programmed to accept constantly changing rhythms. However, your basic metronome can be used for irregular rhythms since the beats themselves will occur at regular intervals; it's just up to you to do the counting.

There are metronomes that can be programmed for polyrhythms; perhaps that is what you are thinking of. They can be programmed, for example, to "click" three against four, or four against six - any number of combinations of polyrhythms, but only two different rhythms at a time. If set for three against four, for example, the three beats per bar will have a different sound from the four beats per bar and each first beat of the bar will coincide.

Dr Beat DB-90 seems to be one of the more complex metronomes available, but I would never buy one for the few times that my basic metronome doesn't give me all that I need.

Click here : DrBeat DB-90 Their on-line description is not clear to me. For example, what does this mean : "to instantly create a variety of beats by adjusting the levels of five different note values"?

Regards,

#593432 - 10/03/07 11:25 PM Re: Metronome question
Pahl Bankschuler Offline

Loc: US
Not too difficult I think, wouldn't you just count the eighth notes?
3/4 is six eighths and 5/8 are five. (1[/b]234561[/b]2345) Just pay attention and put a bit more emphasis on where beat number one falls. Practice the feel of the meter change slowly at first - once you have the feel of it, progressively speed it up.
Forget the metronome - it wont help in this matter.

#593433 - 10/04/07 12:42 PM Re: Metronome question
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
The way I count fast moving music in 1/8 notes is I set the beat up as a "ti" and it will not matter if the time signature changes frequently as long as 1/8 notes are the beat. If they change between 1/8 notes and 1/4 notes you will have to implement "TA" in those places. There is no need to count numberically once you get to a comfort level with this system.

ti ti ti ti ti ti.....6/8
> - (accents)

ti ti ti ti ti ti.....3/8
> > (accents)

5/8 3/8 7/8
ti ti ti ti ti - ti ti ti - ti ti ti ti ti ti ti

In 8th note counting:

When 1/4 notes play say "TA" (2/8)

When dotted 1/4 notes play say "TA-i" (3/8)

1/16th notes become "diddle diddle" (4/16 = 1/4)

Dotted 1/16ths become LOONNNG-short (3/16 + 1/16 = 1/4) L-s L-s L-s

I call this "Magic Counting" and we are counting the note values by substituting a word of equal length for the note being played. It is simplistic and does away with the math.

Another option might be to do "ben ritmo" counting after you had it well prepared for the time signatures remaining the same for some distance. In other words, to know how many measures this rhythm or time signature continues for - where it changes - and how it changes.

Steady beats are everything, dispite the number of beats within a measure.

If you have trouble playing while saying ti - TA - TA-i, diddle diddle, LONG-short etc., take it away from the piano and practice saying the counting words for one voice.

FYI:
Counting words for whole notes are "Hold That Whole Note" (4 beats)
Half Notes ard "Half Note" (2 beats)
dotted half notes are "Half Note Dot" (3 beats)

What can you sustain as commonalities when reading a piece of music? Strategies and patterns are important.

This makes rhythms a "dream" to play, and it's fun, I think.

#593434 - 10/04/07 08:57 PM Re: Metronome question
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
...Dr Beat DB-90 seems to be one of the more complex metronomes available, but I would never buy one for the few times that my basic metronome doesn't give me all that I need.

Click here : DrBeat DB-90 Their on-line description is not clear to me. For example, what does this mean : "to instantly create a variety of beats by adjusting the levels of five different note values"?

Regards, [/b]
For me, that would just become one of many pieces of electronic equipment that I just haven't got the time (or mental capacity, at my advanced age) to learn how to use. For instance, I have a wristwatch with a built in GPS. I'll take up studying its instruction manual right after I finish with the Kabbalah.

#593435 - 10/05/07 10:17 PM Re: Metronome question
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
you might look at some of the software (PC or Mac) based metronomes for some advanced features. A number are freeware or very low price shareware solutions. You can certainly program irregular time signatures to help keep the rhythm - I haven't seen any with an ability to alternate time signatures, but you might suggest that as new features if you find a favourite otherwise.

#593436 - 10/06/07 06:09 AM Re: Metronome question
calpiano Offline

Thanks. I suppose all there is to do is to speed up to a certain point and then get rid of the metronome.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 36251, 52 invisible), 1493 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157249 Topics
2309607 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
Today at 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
Today at 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
Today at 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
Today at 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
Today at 03:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission