2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Greetings, all!

Today I discovered that one of my current professors, unbeknownst to me, studied under Leon Fleisher for some time. That led me to google, and I quickly discovered that I'm part of a lineage not uncommon among the classical piano community! smile

Here are my findings, in reverse chronlogical order of tutelage:

Durden
Huang
Fleisher
Schnabel
Leschetizky
Czerny
Beethoven ...

Albrechtsberger, Zachow, Handel...
... or Salieri, Gluck, Sammartini

It gets a little bit dicey prior to Beethoven... can't quite figure out how to tie it back to CPE Bach and his father... smile

Anybody else ever attempted this excercise? I'd be interested to hear your "genealogy..." laugh

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Derulux
Potter
Rowling...

...and that's usually where I get side-tracked. :p

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Beethoven
Czerny
Liszt
Krause
Arrau
Drury
Jimenez
me.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I know that Leon Fleisher, Sascha Gorodnitzki, Helen Titus, and Nadia Boulanger taught Nelita True, who taught my teacher's teacher.

Mr. Durden listed Schnabel, Leschetizky, Czerny, Beethoven as ancestors to Fleisher, does that mean I descend from Beethoven? cool wink

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
guess I'm an orphan... bravely making my way to my current and only teacher since '68 who at least shows evidence of formal study wink .

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a 'teacher pedigree' assembled by my teacher which goes back to Ockheghem. Bach, his sons, Beethoven, Czerny, Liszt, Leschetizky are all on there with their lineage as well. My teachers studied with Bauer, Samaroff, Grainger, Gabrilowitsch, Safonoff, Friedman, Siloti, Gallico, Hofmann, Rosenthal, Riesberg, etc.,who were students of Liszt or Leschetizky for the most part. ETUDE Magazine had a pictorial display of famous artists who had studied with either Liszt or Leschetizky with the lineage descending from Czerny and Beethoven. He told me of the process by which he found all the relationships. Chopin, Schubert, Salieri, Binchois--it's rather large and quite interesting as he also put some interesting aside for some of them.

Mme. de Horvath, my teacher in Chicago, was a student of Safonoff (teacher of Josef & Rosinna Lhevinne), Gabrilowitsch (student of Essipoff, Rubinstein, and Leschetizky), Friedman (student of Leschetizky), and von Sternberg (student of Liszt).

It's interesting to see the traditions passed down from teachers of great reputation--either as composers/teachers, or performers. Oh--Mozart is there too with many other recognizable names from history.

OP Offline
Originally posted by mound:
I know that Leon Fleisher, Sascha Gorodnitzki, Helen Titus, and Nadia Boulanger taught Nelita True, who taught my teacher's teacher.

Mr. Durden listed Schnabel, Leschetizky, Czerny, Beethoven as ancestors to Fleisher, does that mean I descend from Beethoven? cool wink
laugh Pretty cool, indeed! laugh

A
A
My teacher studied with Perlemuter for a period. If Perlemuter is my pianistic 'grandfather', then Cortot is my pianistic 'great grandfather', and Lipatti my pianist 'great uncle'.

Humbling for some who is no more than an amateur. I hope they do not turn in their graves when I play...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ummm,

at age 6-8 Edith Mae Beckwith
8-12 Mrs. Cramer
12-15? Mrs. Potter

Whos knows who they studied with? They're all long gone now.
Does John Thompson count?

Phil
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
it's funny how many people can trace their teaching lineage back to Liszt... I can too!

It seems though that he taught quite a few students though so I can understand!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beethoven
Czerny
Liszt
Busoni
Egon Petri
Julian White
me
smile

August Förster 215
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Aaron -

That Liszt-Busoni link is a bit tenuous, wouldn't you think?

I can trace back to Busoni as well:

Busoni
Epstein
Silk
Jimenez
me

or

Busoni
Arrau
Drury
Jimenez
me

but I wouldn't have thought to link Busoni with Liszt.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You're right, Jon. Busoni wasn't Liszt's pupil. I'll gladly stop at Busoni!

August Förster 215
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The trouble with Liszt, as has been mentioned (and I don't want to make too big a fuss about it, because I honestly don't know enough about it) is that he did teach a LOT of students and the majority--a vast majority--of pianists in that time who went to him were really just looking for his name to add on to their life's tale to add some credence or intrigue or...whatever. So, in other words, going to one of Liszt's public masterclasses for an hour, in which Liszt would have someone play and then he would play the piece himself and occassionally through in some comments, was often reason enough to call yourself a Liszt pupil.

I'd love to hear from someone who can trace back through Tausig, Rosenthal, Sauer, Thoman, or...*mind blank* someone else whose name is more closely associated with Liszt than the average Romantic-era pianist. Thoman was particularly interesting; I believe he was the last "direct" Liszt pupil to die, after years of working with Dohnanyi at the Liszt Academy; he actually taught Cziffra for several years!

This reminded me of this story:

"Shortly after his arrival in a small city one day, Franz Liszt was visited in his hotel by a young woman who confessed that, hoping to attract a larger audience to a forthcoming concert, she had advertised herself as a "pupil of Liszt." She had come to regret her lie, she explained, and asked for his forgiveness. Liszt asked her to play one of the pieces in her repertoire. Then, after offering a few suggestions, he dismissed her with a kiss on the cheek and a word of encouragement: "Now, my dear, you can call yourself a pupil of Liszt."

Q
Q
My instructor has her instruction linage back to Beethoven. I have been meaning to ask her to write it down for me and I would make up something for her to hang on the wall.

I'm a fool for Chopin. The biggest mistake in my life......Thinking that fishing was more fun than Bach when I was younger.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have similar ties to the others who have posted - Liszt, Czerny, Beethoven - however I cannot recall it perfectly. What you say, Goldberg, is very true. I believe I do have a closer tie to Liszt, however I am not positive. I have a lesson tonight - I will ask my teacher and post my lineage later tonight.

- Zack -
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To actually answer the question, I honestly don't know much about my former teachers' pasts (and I no longer have a teacher so it's not easy to ask one of them), but looking on the Rice website I dug up some information like Dariusz Pawlas, my most recent and favorite teacher of all, learned from one Andrzej Jasinski and John Perry and also took "summer classes" with Richard Goode, Karl-Heinz Kammerling, and Jean-Yves Thibaudet.

My longest-standing and perhaps least favorite teacher, Dean Shank, has on his bio the teachers Stefan Bardas, Richard Cass, Richard Goode, John Perry, William Race, and Alexander Uninsky, of which I remember him talking about Perry and Uninsky the most (and I recognise Uninsky from somewhere else, and of course everyone knows who John Perry is, at least in Texas).

Now I'll google a few names to see if anything interesting pops up...

*several minutes later* shoot! I can't seem to find anything helpful! Does anyone know a little more about some of those guys? I know they're mostly famous (apparently Schoenberg had some sort of correspondence with Stefan Bardas, which is pretty neat) but I guess this sort of thing isn't readily available on google...

Sorry to be like this, but it's "pedagogical." Topic line's been driving me nuts for a few days. laugh

I go back through Frank Mannheimer and Tobias Matthay. (Teacher of Myra Hess and Clifford Curzon.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kreisler! Me too on the correction!! My 'pedigree' is about 4 1/2 feet wide and about 3 feet high hanging in the studio with almost 500 names numbered and indexed going back 19 generations. I had a copy made recently and have permission from my teacher to copy it (it's copyrighted) so I'm ok there. For those interested in lineage it's quite interesting. And in Vienna I had a teacher who had worked with Edwin Fischer but I don't know his background. I'm sure it's available tho and could prove interesting as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission