Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
71 registered (angga888, Auver, AndyP, 20 invisible), 1157 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#595175 - 10/13/05 10:45 AM Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: the left bank -- of the east r...
Very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/13/arts/music/13beet.html

NEW YORK TIMES
October 13, 2005
A Historic Discovery, in Beethoven's Own Hand
By DANIEL J. WAKIN

Heather Carbo, a matter-of-fact librarian at an evangelical seminary outside Philadelphia, was cleaning out an archival cabinet one hot afternoon in July. It was a dirty and routine job. But there, on the bottom shelf, she stumbled across what may be one of the most important musicological finds in years.

It was a working manuscript score for a piano version of Beethoven's "Grosse Fuge," a monument of classical music. And it was in the composer's own hand, according to Sotheby's auction house. The 80-page manuscript in mainly brown ink - a furious scattering of notes across the page, with many changes and cross-outs, some so deep that the paper is punctured - dates from the final months of Beethoven's life.

The score had effectively disappeared from view for 115 years, apparently never examined by scholars. It goes on display today, just for the afternoon, at the school, the Palmer Theological Seminary in Wynnewood, Pa.

"It was just sitting on that shelf," Ms. Carbo said. "I was just in a state of shock."

Like Ms. Carbo, musicologists sounded stunned when read a description of the manuscript by Sotheby's, which will auction it on Dec. 1 in London. "Wow! Oh my God!" said Lewis Lockwood, a musicology professor at Harvard University and a Beethoven biographer. "This is big. This is very big."

Indeed it is.

Any manuscript showing a composer's self-editing gives invaluable insight into his working methods, and this is a particularly rich example. Such second thoughts are particularly revealing in the case of Beethoven, who, never satisfied, honed his ideas brutally - unlike, say, Mozart, who was typically able to spill out a large score in nearly finished form.

What's more, this manuscript is among Beethoven's last, from the period when he was stone deaf. It not only depicts his thought processes at their most introspective and his working methods at their most intense, but also gives a sense of his concern for his legacy. The "Grosse Fuge," originally part of a string quartet, had been badly treated by a baffled public, and he was evidently eager to see it live on in a form in which music lovers could play it on their pianos at home.

The manuscript is one of the longest and weightiest Beethoven scores offered for auction since it was last sold, in 1890, said Richard Kramer, a musicologist at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York.

"What this document gives us is rare insight into the imponderable process of decision making," he wrote in an e-mail message, "by which this most complex of quartet movements is made over into a work for piano four-hands."

The last major Beethoven manuscript discovery occurred in 1999, according to Sotheby's, when a previously unknown quartet movement was found in a private manuscript collection in Cornwall, England.

The newly discovered manuscript is also a rare piano transcription by Beethoven of one of his own works, and the only complete manuscript source for the piano version of the "Grosse Fuge." It will allow, finally, for a critical edition of the piece.

Above all, it may shed light on Beethoven's conception of the "Grosse Fuge," a work with almost mythical status in the music world, variously described by historians as a "leviathan," a "symphonic poem" and an achievement on the scale of the finale of his Ninth Symphony and Bach's "Art of Fugue."

The manuscript's last known mention was at that auction in 1890, in Berlin, with no reference to a buyer. The buyer is now believed to have been William Howard Doane, a Cincinnati industrialist with a penchant for composing hymns.

In 1952, Doane's daughter made a gift to the seminary, then known as the Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary. The gift, to establish a chapel, included music manuscripts. Among them were Mozart's Fantasia in C minor and Sonata in C minor, a major Mozart find.

Fifteen years ago, a researcher looking for historical records stumbled across the manuscripts in a safe at the seminary. Sotheby's auctioned off the Mozart and other works for $1.7 million. Since then, rumors persisted that a Beethoven work was floating around somewhere in the seminary.

The "Grosse Fuge," which will also be on display at Sotheby's in New York Nov. 16 to 19, is expected to fetch $1.7 million to $2.6 million. (The seminary's president, Wallace Charles Smith, said funds from the "Beethoven blessing" would be added into its $3 million endowment and eventually put toward scholarships, a training program in West Virginia and the repayment of debts.)

A look at the manuscript, made available by the auction house, shows a composer working with abandon and fixated on getting it exactly right. Groups of measures are vigorously canceled out with crosshatches. There are smudges where Beethoven appears to have wiped away ink while it was still wet. Sections have "aus," or "out," scribbled over them.

In some parts, Beethoven pays little heed to spacing out the notes in a measure, extending the five-line staves with wobbly lines in his own hand. High notes soar above the staff. The handwriting grows agitated to match the music. His clefs are ill formed. In one place, he pastes an entire half-page over a botched section with red sealing wax.

In another spot, Beethoven puts in numbers to signify the fingering. "It's so touching," said Stephen Roe, a musicologist who is head of Sotheby's manuscript department. "It means he played it."

The manuscript is written on several different types of paper with a paper-covered board binding, apparently from the 1830's. The title has the word "fugue" misspelled as "tugue." Bound at the back is a first print edition.

The "Grosse Fuge" lies at the heart of an enduring Beethoven controversy.

It was composed, and published, as the finale of his Op. 130 String Quartet, a member of the colossal series of late quartets. But it was astonishingly complex. After the premiere on March 21, 1826, a reviewer called the music "incomprehensible, like Chinese" and suggested that Beethoven's deafness was at fault. Beethoven wrote another finale, lighter and more pastoral, and agreed to have the "Grosse Fuge" published separately.

Debate has raged over the Op. 130 quartet's proper finale. One camp says that since Beethoven himself made the decision, the substitute finale should be played. The other says that he was effectively pressured into the change by his friends and publisher, and that therefore the "Grosse Fuge" should remain.

Maynard Solomon, another Beethoven biographer, cautioned against overestimating the manuscript's value, pointing out that it is a piano transcription and thus a "secondary work." But, Mr. Solomon said, it fills a gap in the history of the "Grosse Fuge," which he called "one of the most important composition histories in Beethoven's life."

The publisher commissioned a four-hand piano version from another composer, but the job of teasing out the string lines and assigning them to the keyboard was so poorly done that Beethoven insisted on making his own version, which he delivered in August 1826. He was dead less than eight months later.

Describing the period of Beethoven's life, Mr. Lockwood, the Harvard musicologist, said: "He's sick. He is old in his way. He's tired. He's really near the end of his career. But he decides it's worth it to get this piece out in four hands in his own version. It's a labor of extreme love at the end of his life."

Beethoven could not comprehend why the work was not better received. When he was told the audience at the premiere called for encores of the middle movements, he was reported to have said: "And why didn't they encore the Fugue? That alone should have been repeated! Cattle! Asses!"

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#595176 - 10/13/05 10:52 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Awesome!!! That is an incredible find...

#595177 - 10/13/05 11:00 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
Amazing that these things are still being discovered; makes you wonder what other treasures exist in dusty corners of the world....

koji

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#595178 - 10/13/05 11:19 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
yhc Offline

Loc: NYC, NY
WoW!!!

#595179 - 10/13/05 11:24 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
decibel101 Offline

Loc: Manhattan
SO FREAKING COOL!@$!%!$^!#$^!@#$^

#595180 - 10/13/05 04:01 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
That's pretty amazing, I would LOVE to see it.

#595181 - 10/13/05 05:43 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
That is a really nice find. It would be nice if a museum was able to purchase the work at auction so that the whole world could enjoy seeing it rather than an individual who would put it away again to be lost for another hundred years.

John

#595182 - 10/13/05 06:05 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
bach enthusiast Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tucson Arizona
This is really cool! I love it when this kind of thing happens.

Here's one of the pages with the sealing wax on it. I found 2 pictures of it on the national public radio website.

http://www.npr.org/templates/common/image_enlargement.php?imageResId=4957661

Here's the cover to the autograph

http://www.npr.org/templates/common/image_enlargement.php?imageResId=4957659

#595183 - 10/13/05 10:41 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
BE, that Beethoven's manuscript page is actually very readable. how wonderful to see it!

btw, having listened to both finales of op.130, i truely believe this one (fugue) should be played with current op.130, while the subsititute finale should be labled as a separate work since it sounds like having nothing to do with other movements of op.130 anyway.

p.s. how to pronouce "Grosse" anyway in German?

#595184 - 10/13/05 11:38 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

For lack of a better way to write it, pronounce it Gdoss-uh. The "R" sound is there, but it should have a "D" quality to it as well. Anyone have a better way to write it?

#595185 - 10/13/05 11:54 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

g-'dose'?

#595186 - 10/13/05 11:54 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
More like Gross-eh (but with the German R sound, which I have no idea how to write).

Chris

#595187 - 10/14/05 12:37 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
bach enthusiast Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tucson Arizona
You have to get drunk in order to say it correctly. \:D

#595188 - 10/14/05 05:32 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: the left bank -- of the east r...
the german 'r' is a bit throaty. closer to the french 'r' than the english.

#595189 - 10/14/05 09:52 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
 Quote:
Originally posted by signa:

btw, having listened to both finales of op.130, i truely believe this one (fugue) should be played with current op.130, while the subsititute finale should be labled as a separate work since it sounds like having nothing to do with other movements of op.130 anyway.[/b]
Well, this is what's interesting about being human, we can have differences of opinion. The Grosse Fuge is an amazing piece but very much out of proportion and character with the rest of the quartet. There's a bit of a cliche that the best music may be difficult, but doesn't sound it. The Grosse Fuge sounds difficult, moreso than the finale of the Hammerklavier. I know it's unfair to compare Beethoven and Back, but compare Contrapuntus 14 of the Art of Fugue to the Grosse Fuge. The Bach is amazing in its elegance and you're so sad when it ends unfinished. When the Grosse Fugue is over I take a deep breath and thank my lucky stars for surviving it.

OK so I don't admire Beethoven's sense of counterpoint, I admire his other skills as a comnposer.

#595190 - 10/14/05 10:53 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by signa:
g-'dose'? [/b]
Naah. More like "grow-suh" with a little "d" sound to the "r".

#595191 - 10/14/05 11:37 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
decibel101 Offline

The npr page also has 8 minutes of audio preview in the middle of the page

npr audio grosse fuge

#595192 - 10/14/05 11:40 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
decibel101 Offline

Quote:
Well, this is what's interesting about being human, we can have differences of opinion. The Grosse Fuge is an amazing piece but very much out of proportion and character with the rest of the quartet. There's a bit of a cliche that the best music may be difficult, but doesn't sound it. The Grosse Fuge sounds difficult, moreso than the finale of the Hammerklavier. I know it's unfair to compare Beethoven and Back, but compare Contrapuntus 14 of the Art of Fugue to the Grosse Fuge. The Bach is amazing in its elegance and you're so sad when it ends unfinished. When the Grosse Fugue is over I take a deep breath and thank my lucky stars for surviving it. [Tiki]

OK so I don't admire Beethoven's sense of counterpoint, I admire his other skills as a comnposer.
I have to say though sometimes listening to Bach is just a big headache.. A lot of times is the same thing over and over and over and over again, either going up or down the keyboard.

At the same time, if I'm in the mood to hear Bach... I absolutely love it! Which happens quite often.

Wierd but true.

#595193 - 10/14/05 11:54 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: houston
Why is it that any time this school finds valuables in its collection they are immediately sent to the auction block? This seems like rape and pillage of the thoughtful donations of previous benefactors. Materials of antiquity should not be purged from nonprofit organizations, they should be held fast, preserved, revered, and offered for study.

Is it in the best interest of knowledge that important works of art be held in private collections? How can anyone "own" Beethoven -- he should be in the public domain for all to enjoy.

#595194 - 10/14/05 12:09 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I hope you all realize this is not an unknown work that has surfaced. It was published in Beethoven's lifetime, and Henle publishes it now. It might be interesting to see whether there are any variations from the published edition, but really, all this discovery really means is that a couple of people will get an easy ride for their musicology thesis. For all the claims about what it shows about Beethoven's creative process, it isn't going to make people write music like Beethoven.

#595195 - 10/14/05 12:26 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
decibel101 Offline

That's so wierd, I've never even heard of, or seen this piece anywhere.

Does anyone actually own the sheet music? Have Played? or has any cd of this?

#595196 - 10/14/05 12:47 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
BDB Offline

I have the Henle edition.

#595197 - 10/14/05 12:48 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
decibel101 Offline

Is it / does it look incredibly difficult?

#595198 - 10/14/05 01:30 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

there's nothing like Grosse Fugue, which's different and when the first time i heard it, i felt little weird about how it sounded, but the more i listened to it, the more i like it. but that subsititute finale sounds (at the 1st time i heard) like an entirely different entity, not only from Grosse Fuge for the obvious reason, but from the rest of op.130 as well. that sub finale is like a sort of 'happy-go-lucky' piece, elegant and graceful but it sounds too out of place if played with op.130.

#595199 - 10/16/05 05:25 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
Wanderer Offline

Loc: Greece
Indeed, the 2-piano arrangement is published as Beethoven's opus 134 (the original "Grosse Fugue" for string quartet bearing opus number 133). I have the Jorg Demus/Norman Shetler recording on DG, which takes slightly over 16 minutes.

#595200 - 10/16/05 03:10 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
concertpianist12988 Offline

Loc: NY
i hope we can stay updated on it because i would like to hear this piece

#595201 - 10/16/05 05:13 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
BDB Offline

If you want to hear it, buy a copy, find a friend, and play it yourself. That's why Beethoven transcribed it.

#595202 - 10/18/05 09:34 AM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY-Madrid-Newfoundland (rhymes...
The duet version is absolutely horrible. I hope we never have to play it.

Too dense to work with everything on the same instrument. Thank you BDB for clarifying the fact that this work IS available, published and recorded. Most people think it is a newly discovered work, it is not.

I wonder how Henle managed to publish and "Urtext" version without the manuscript...

Elena

#595203 - 10/18/05 01:16 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
BDB Offline

They used the first editions, or editions based on the manuscript. That's very common. It pays to read the notes!

#595204 - 10/18/05 10:26 PM Re: Wow - original manuscript of LvB Grosse Fugue piano version found.
Skriabin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: li, new york
I love how his handwriting gets as agitated as the music does.

Was that blood on one of the pages?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
Yesterday at 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
Yesterday at 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
Yesterday at 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160048 Topics
2350373 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission