2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 12 invisible), 1,983 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#595501 07/24/08 03:13 PM
OP Offline
i wanna prepare an audition for the future.. after i get my aa degree in accounting i wanna go for a bachelors in music.. anyway.. for my peices i have

baroque: bach prelude and fugue BK1 #6 Dm
classical: ??????? need help ??????
romantic: chopin ballade in Gm
20th century: undecided...
etude: chopin op 10-1 in C

My question is... which should i choose for my classical? i have completed two sonatas by beethoven: pathetique and moonlight... which one should i go with? which one is less common or more impressive... OR, should i go with Sonata no.12 in F by mozart??

Currently Working:
Brahms: Intermezzo Op.119 no.3 in C

Currently Polishing:
Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu Op. 66
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It all depends on where you're auditioning and what their requirements are. In general for a classical work, a Haydn or Mozart sonata will be ideal. While some early Beethoven can work for classical, neither Pathetique or Moonlight really fit the bill.

One thing you should consider is branching out a little bit with your other repertoire. The Bach and Chopin pieces you have are all quite standard and a judge will likely be tired of hearing those. Look for something a little off the beaten path instead of those pieces which have been beaten to death.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If I were on the board of people giving auditions, I would appreciate a SHORT technical sonata.

Try Haydn!

His use of Rhythm is always charming, and often unexpected. If you are good at bringing clarity out of the instrument, you could set yourself apart.

Some people can only make their way through your 2 beethoven sonatas with heavy pedalling.

Music is the surest path to excellence

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I hope that you will not only have chosen pieces you are satisfied with for your audition, but that by the time you apply for your auditions you will use proper spelling - including capitalization - and avoid the use of such non-words as "wanna".

A repertoire piece should not be chosen based on what is "less common" and certainly not on what is "more impressive" but should be based on what you are convinced you can play best.

Remember that you are going to have to live with these pieces for some time and, even when you think you have perfected them, they will still need more work. Choose pieces that you know you can live with over time and that you can excell in performing.

Good luck.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
M
I agree with Bruce. What do you play the best? Go with that.

As for a 20th century piece, do you have anything in mind for that? I recommend one of Bartok's 6 Dances in Bulgarian Rhythms, (no. 6 is my favorite, but they're all good).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
you have more time to practice if you don't capitalize.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
OP Offline
So I guess YOU must get as much practice as I do?

Currently Working:

Currently Polishing:
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BruceD:
I hope that you will not only have chosen pieces you are satisfied with for your audition, but that by the time you apply for your auditions you will use proper spelling - including capitalization - and avoid the use of such non-words as "wanna".
Shut up... He can choose how he wants to speak without having an elitist a-hole telling him how to talk

Currently working on
Prokofiev Piano Concerto 3
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by xtraheat:
Originally posted by BruceD:
[b] I hope that you will not only have chosen pieces you are satisfied with for your audition, but that by the time you apply for your auditions you will use proper spelling - including capitalization - and avoid the use of such non-words as "wanna".
Shut up... He can choose how he wants to speak without having an elitist a-hole telling him how to talk [/b]
I believe BruceD offered valuable advice with courtesy and tact, just as he has generously and reliably done here for years.

If you take issue with his advice, I think you should address your concerns to him with the same degree of respect.

Steven

Having taught at the college level, I can say that there is some concern with students' academic abilities, including their English skills.

While the audition is by far the most important part of a candidate's application, a BM degree is a 4-year university degree that requires completion of core coursework in basic academic subjects.

Over the 8 years I taught at the college level, I saw at least 4 students drop out because they were unable to complete their English, math, or history courses. All four were very talented and diligent pianists who put these courses off until their junior or senior year, then sabotaged their recitals and auditions by having to spend all their time studying grammar or basic algebra.

So while Bruce's suggestions don't directly relate to the question posed in the original post, they are very much valid suggestions in terms of preparing oneself for music study at a four-year university.

Oh, and consider Haydn F Major, Hob. XVI:23 for your classical sonata.

laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
OP Offline
Its so funny how everyone on this web page just posts to post... You can ask any question and you'll get idiots such as bruced or apple.... But at least Bruce inputs something (even though it seems he knows everything). But Apple? Do you even play the piano? Or do you just post on every single blog topic worrying about grammar when you didn't even capitalize your own sentence. I guess your just another idiot so its no big deal..

Regards

Currently Working:

Currently Polishing:
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I agree that Bruce was a little bit condescending. It's not as if someone using the word "wanna" on an internet message board will necessarily do the same thing on their college application. Now that we're done with that lolrotflmaoomgwtfbbq.

Chopin's 1st ballade was my bane at my college auditions. I was wanting to get to the fast parts and I didn't put any expression into the opening sections. I would suggest another piece for your romantic portion. Plus that Ballade is overplayed.

Just remember that what you play is nowhere close to as important as how well you play. Faculty jury members would rather hear Liszt's Consolation No. 3 played beautifully than an absolute butchering of Mephisto Waltz. This is by far the most important thing to remember. Play pieces you love and that you play well.

And ChopinChamp, don't let Bruce get to you just because he's a silly goose. Silly goosies are just silly goosies, okey dokey?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Oh...and play with all the expression that you can muster.

As far as 20th century repertoire goes, I'd look into Hindemith's Ludus Tonalis or Shostakovich's preludes and fugues. It'd make a great contrast to any Bach P&F you would play.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by ChopinChamp:
Its so funny how everyone on this web page just posts to post... You can ask any question and you'll get idiots such as bruced or apple.... But at least Bruce inputs something (even though it seems he knows everything). But Apple? Do you even play the piano? Or do you just post on every single blog topic worrying about grammar when you didn't even capitalize your own sentence. I guess your just another idiot so its no big deal..

Regards
ChopinChamp,

Everyone—with the exception of xtraheat—posted on this thread to help you.

I'm so surprised you thought that apple* was making a joke at your expense. You're right that she doesn't capitalize; that's the point! Why did you think she was referring to you rather than herself?

Why would you ask for help, and then insult the people who offer it? Don't bite the hands that feed you!

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself."

Steven

W
W
Beethoven, although a classical composer, was the transition from the classical period to the romantic. Mozart is a more appropriate choice.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ChopinChamp:
My question is... which should i choose for my classical? i have completed two sonatas by beethoven: pathetique and moonlight... which one should i go with? which one is less common or more impressive... OR, should i go with Sonata no.12 in F by mozart??
A lot depends on where you are auditioning.

My advice is to find a piece that will best display your musicality. While technical brilliance may impress your professors, musicality trumps technique, at least in my view.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
_
_
Lol @ this thread. Always great when newbies come in and insult people with a combined 24k posts. (I mean those 2 obviously don't know what they're talking about).

Besides that, I'll throw in a recommendation for an early Beethoven sonata: 2.2, 10.1, or 10.2 .
Not because they'll merit more "points" (I don't know one way or the other if they will), I just really like those particular sonatas.

I've got a youtube account you're welcome to check out.
Not too much there yet though !
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
lolz fo shizzy! !@#$ing N00BZ!!!!!!!!

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
For the Classical period, I definitely recommend Mozart or Haydn. The reason being they can really show of your clarity and accurate playing. In general, Mozart is considered quite difficult to play in concert because of this distinct quality in his music. The important thing is, choose something other than his K.545 in C.

For the contemporary works, look for something by an American composer. There are many that bridged the 19th into the early part of the 20th century and wrote music beyond the time of Debussy and Ravel.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission