Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#597588 - 08/18/01 06:04 PM Haydn
yok Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Ryan mentioned Haydn's concertos in the Concertos thread, but I've noticed that Haydn is not often mentioned here. Perhaps his 60 odd piano sonatas don't represent his very best work, but many are gems. I really love his string quartets, symphonies, masses and his magnificient oratorio, The Creation. To me he is in no way the poor cousin in the first Vienesse school, though he often seems to he regarded that way.

Any other devotees of Haydn out there?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#597589 - 08/18/01 08:37 PM Re: Haydn
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Yok:

While I have recordings of 27 of the Haydn piano sonatas, they are not works that I listen to frequently - well crafted though they may be - and none of them, yet, have inspired me to the point that I want to play them, even though I have the scores of the complete sonatas. I did play the D major concerto at one time but it, as well, is not a work that inspired me at the time, and I've never had any great urge to go back to it.

On the other hand, some of the middle and late symphonies are wonderful works which easily bear repeated hearings, and I know I could never go for any length of time without listening to the string quartets. In my opinion - and for my taste, the Haydn string quartets are among the finest ever written in the genre.

And "The Creation" is one of the great oratorios; I've heard it several times in performance and I own two good recordings of it; it never fails to move me deeply.

Haydn will forever hold a place in music history as the "father" of both the modern symphony and the string quartet. Perhaps his genius in these genres overshadows his efforts in works for keyboard instruments. There are some - but not many - pianists who play his works, and it would be interesting to determine whether its because the works themselves are less satisfying to play (performance pieces), or because they are not satisfying to listen to (public popularity), or both. For his rather large output of piano sonatas, the currently available recordings represent a rather skimpy collection. I think Jando on the Naxos label is in the process of doing the complete sonatas; otherwise, Ax, Richter, Gould, Brendel, Andsnes are the few only well-known names that have recorded a few - a very few - of the sonatas. There must be good reason for that.

Regards,

#597590 - 08/19/01 05:41 PM Re: Haydn
Joe Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Sometimes there are good reasons things are not played, or overplayed, sometimes not. I really enjoy some of the Haydn sonatas I've heard and played, in a way I find them more appealing than Mozart. I do agree that Haydn really shined in symphonic and chamber music, but then Mozart's piano music is not among HIS best either, IMO, I understand Mozart better when I hear his symphonic or chamber music, and his operas. I also like a good deal of Clementi's music, and that's not played much either. Is it as 'good' as Mozart's music? Possibly Mozart expressed the musical language of his time more aptly than Clementi, but Clementi's music is still very worth listening to, especially if you like piano music. Clementi was really a pioneer on the instrument in a way that Mozart never was, and he forever left his mark on the pianists that came after him.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Paul Newman Baby Grand Bass Strings replacement
by Sam4
10/01/14 04:11 PM
Mystery Steinway Grand
by Kirk Corlett
10/01/14 03:58 PM
Magnesium Protects Against Hearing Loss
by DavidWB
10/01/14 03:34 PM
How Odd
by Minnesota Marty
10/01/14 01:41 PM
Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement
by johnbarnesiii
10/01/14 01:08 PM
Who's Online
166 registered (accordeur, angusperde, anamnesis, 46 invisible), 1703 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157926 Topics
2319315 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission