2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
[b] I'm not joining the easy apology side either. Saying this is not the same thing as heckling. She has been shilling outrageously for Steinway and all of those fabulous and incredible Steinway-designed products for as long as she has been here. Anyone with a decent grasp of the search function can verify that. Now she has been caught using a sock to peddle and puff Essex. Geez.

OK she apologized. Fine. Embarrassment is a great motive for that. And getting caught in the act brooks no weaseling. It warrants no group hug. Whatever tiny bit of credibility she might have had should be shredded. The problem, of course, is that a shill can always return to influence people who have no history here, but who are looking to this group for help.

It's a constant problem, I know, and she is surely not the only dealer ever to behave in this fashion. That likely fact warrants no group hug either.
---Hello, PianoDad. I know emotions are running high and you may have, understandably, said something you really do not have clear evidence for. Here is my question to you (and others):
Do you have some examples of where I have trashed another piano or negatively influenced other post-ers looking for advice by trashing the competition? PLEASE, I really want to know. It shouldn't be tough, according to you. Provide evidence before you make such a damning comment. Then, you can say that my credibility has been shredded. [/b]
I would ask you to reread my post and point out to me where I accuse you of trashing the competition. I know that emotions are running high and you may have, understandably, said something you really do not have clear evidence for. wink

Shilling outrageously for Steinway, indeed! I think that is obvious to anyone with the meanest intelligence.

Oh, and your first sock-post to start this thread is a dig at CW. Subtle, not gross, but a clear dig designed to turn the discussion, and done as a sock to promote your brand. That's not an honest opinion.

Those of us who think you should be banned are rather forthright in explaining why. You may choose to call it a witch hunt if it makes you feel better.

Lastly, I challenge YOU to show that I trash Steinway. I have posted many complimentary things about Steinway products. I even started my own thread to describe my visit to Steinway Hall with my son (complete with paeans of praise to a wonderful D under the dome.

What I react to is boilerplate promo-sheet hype of the sort you have repeatedly foisted upon this forum. You have brought great discredit to a fine piano.

Now with this sock episode, you need to depart.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by apple*:
quit while you are ahead.

come back as another sock..
Exactly. You're anonymous anyway. Why is it so important that you continue to post as Pianomadam? Given recent developments, it's rather bizarre. You're just a bunch of dishonest electrons to the rest of us, so if you really want to continue participating in this disconnected form of social interaction, change your name and pretend nothing happened. Pianomadam is dead.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
She may not be anonymous to her immediate environment and may have bad karma there too

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
You're just a bunch of dishonest electrons to the rest of us, so if you really want to continue participating in this disconnected form of social interaction, change your name and pretend nothing happened.
I hope this is not what happens. If a person is banned, that person is gone, not not just their current avatar.

an internet address can be blocked. ironically the one other person who was permanently blocked was the BEST at doing the laundry.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by John Pels:
I don't know gang. all this pretense to outrage is just a little bit disingenuous. You have thousands of folks hiding behind one dopey screen name after another, and when one finally is outed as a "pretender" everyone is in a snit. I contribute to a bunch of forums non piano related, and everyone posts using their real name. Seemingly we never have these issues. I tend to be an old school type guy where "my name is my bond" or something to that effect. It seems to me that if you have nothing to hide, your real name should suffice. Otherwise, I am skeptical of EVERY post I read where a real name is not attached. Monica Kern is Monica Kern, Rich Gallasini is Rich Gallasini, Rod Verhnjak is Rod Verhnjak, John Pels is John Pels, and Ken Knapp is Ken Knapp. This sort of thing likely happens a hundred times a day on this type of forum. Feigned outrage is...well...feigned. What can any reasonable person expect when you have adults playing "let's pretend". Sheesh!!!
I think this is restating the obvious, but most people here—the ones with our "dopey" noms de guerre—don't feel it's wise (or even safe) to use our real names. I'm sure the only thing most of us want to hide is our full names, for the very practical reason that there are a lot of nuts out there. Most of us say things from time to time that someone, somewhere for some reason will find controversial, and it's as easy to make enemies as friends on these here Internets.

Are you aware of how much can be found out about you by revealing your name and location to anyone with a casual motivation to do so? It's certainly your choice to do so, but smugness toward those of us who don't isn't appropriate. (FWIW, Monica hasn't used her surname here for quite a while.)

Steven

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I agree with Steven / Sotto Voice here.

There are people who trawl internet forums looking for ID theft material, or just to use the contacts gleaned for nuisance purposes.

I have been on this forum for years now. I have corresponded with many members here and many know my full real name - the forename of which is, remarkably enough, Adrian. My avatar is my initials.

That said I think it is different for a dealer. Dealers - who let's be honest seek commercial gain from being here - should publish their name or their business name. Those dealers who use their genuine id may well get business from it if they post here in a sensible way.

I personally think that dealers who hide behind anonymous avatars should be at least temporarily banned promptly if they engage in blatant brand promotion or blatant brand knocking.

And PianoMadam, having a dig at Piano Dad (who publishes his real name for all to see) is just laughable. He does not need me to defend him, but in several years here I have NEVER seen him engage in brand bashing. We have corresponded from time to time and to my mind he is one of the people here who displays considerable integrity - whether of not you agree with his opinions.

Kind regards

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Pianomadam, here is a thread started by jman37 where he praises Boston at the expense of trashing Kawai. You join in on page 3 to cast subtle aspersions on Kawai actions. A little later on Turandot accuses you of tag teaming with jman37.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/24913.html

Rod already linked this thread where you tag teamed with L1037, but here it is again

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/21749.html

Here's an interesting thread that doesn't trash the competition. You start the thread by asking which line the reader would rather represent, Yamaha or Kawai. The first response is by jman37 hijacking the thread (planned perhaps?) to suggest Boston.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/24927.html#000001

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Do these professional piano people who play these silly games actually think they are effecting piano sales in any way, shape or form? LOL

Well, if my memory serves me, several people have posted that they felt deceived by some of what they read here concerning a recently defunct internet seller. I have no desire to turn this thread in that direction (please!), but I have no problems accepting that some people can be persuaded to shift their purchase based on the skillful manipulations of a sock here at PW.

P.S. Thanks Adrian. [Linked Image]

I don't mind the defense! laugh

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...thay are not "professional" people. They are just people who call themselves that but without any of the integrity that actually being a true professional requires.

One advantage they gain is a lots of google hits for their brands. This may pull shoppers in their direction. Possibly.

The other potential advantage they seek may be to damage competing brands.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think this is restating the obvious, but most people here—the ones with our "dopey" noms de guerre—don't feel it's wise (or even safe) to use our real names. I'm sure the only thing most of us want to hide is our full names, for the very practical reason that there are a lot of nuts out there. Most of us say things from time to time that someone, somewhere for some reason will find controversial, and it's as easy to make enemies as friends on these here Internets.

Thank you Stephen for making this sane observation. One could flip John's sweeping slur and say that anyone who posts with a clear identity here is simply interested in calling attention to herself/himself, whether for piano biz related rea$ons or simply from a 'here I am, look at me' perspective. To generalize in that direction would not be right either.

Just a general comment on the festivities here.

The forum has rules. Pianomadam has admitted to breaking the rules. She has also expressed a desire to remain here and to be given a second chance. Ken Knapp is the moderator of this forum. He works with other moderators and the owner. It is their call as to how to deal with those who break the rules.

I can't exactly figure out what the reason is that this morality play keeps piling up the pages. At this point is seems like some people are queueing up just for another chance to stomp on a dead insect lying on the pavement. I mean what's with the continual stream of Pinocchio images?

Or maybe this is a wake that is being well-attended beyond all expectations because enemies of the deceased have traveled great distances to pay their disrespects.

I really don't think anyone here should want the mods to make a decision based on how many hooded or unhooded faces and lit torches can be seen at the castle gate. We are all better-served if they use their best judgment based on rules and precedent in punishment whether we agree with any individual decision or not. They operate from a frame of reference that is far wider than anything we have.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Mark, how can we know that Pianomadam is even a piano professional since she keeps hiding behind anonymity?

And I don't begrudge any sales falling to our dealers who do disclose their personal and professional identities. Many of those dealers give a lot of very useful information.

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by DanLaura Larson:
Mark, how can we know that Pianomadam is even a piano professional since she keeps hiding behind anonymity?

And I don't begrudge any sales falling to our dealers who do disclose their personal and professional identities. Many of those dealers give a lot of very useful information.

Dan
I guess I should of said anyone playing these silly games having much effect on piano sales to any great extent. And when I say this I am referring to piano branding, not the Internet sales mess from PSS. Even though I could never buy a piano I didn't actually play...

It seems to me there are a lot of people on the forum that are put off/annoyed with S&S marketing tactics. Whether it's the assertion that Concert D's are better than (Bosie/Blunther/Fazioli/M&H etc...) and that's why 99% of concert artist perform exclusively on them, or that essex/boston are superior to because they are "made by Steinway" unlike yammie, kawai etc...Some question whether this aggressive marketing slides into deception.

PianoMadam seems to embody the all the worst adjectives attributed to S&S's marketing program, and now its been caught red-footed (err, red handed).

To the extent S&S cares what is said about it on this forum, it would seem to me that they would want to publicly distance themselves from this type of behavior

The posts are coming from inside the house! Repeat, the posts are coming from inside the house!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
For crying out loud, who doesn't tout their own product once in a while?
this is CLEARLY against the rules and antithetical to what PW is here for.

often enough, I am helping others make a decision on the pianos they have presented,
your kind of help is not what people need.

Do you have some agenda here...let's be honest!
yes, let's be honest. YOU are the one with the agenda. i sincerely hope you and all of your incarnations are banned. for good.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
W
W
No surprise, my most vocal opponents from the distant and recent past (e.g. Pianodad, windsound, Rod, Steve Cohen, honkytonk, Bear1, etc...) are leading the present witch hunt to oust me from this forum.
Come on, I never want to oust Pianomadam from this forum but she or he broke rules by her/himself.

I have repeated my point, whoever tries to promote Essex, Boston over other brands like Yamaha and Kawai with biased info. will eventually damage not only Essex, Boston but also the name of Steinway.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't think pianomadam should be banned. She adds a little bourgeois je ne sais pas to the Steinway brand -- kind of cuts through the fancy-pants lingo that Steinway uses to make the brand sound more accesible to people who live in trailers or who buy cars off of "instant credit" car lots.

I've said before that I don't think she is actually a woman and that she probably DOES NOT represent Steinway. If she's anything in person like she is on line, she's probably a terrible representative of the brand and her/his sales are probably in the toilet.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I still would like her take on Cristofori too. . .

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
Speaking of witch-hunts, did you know that PianoMadam turned my M&H A into a Betsy Ross Spinet?

[incredulous looks]

It got better...

The posts are coming from inside the house! Repeat, the posts are coming from inside the house!
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission