Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#597990 - 01/01/06 06:38 PM What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
pianomad Offline

Loc: USA
It's the new year, and one of my resolutions is to stop procrastinating and stay on top of all my music. I'm a day into it, and I'm frustrated by the practicing. So I'm taking a breather to vent to the forum about:

The first four measures of the 4th movement in Brahms' F minor sonata for piano and clarinet (or viola). The entire sonata could go without a hitch, and yet I arrive at these four measures and break out in a cold sweat and feel like it never goes well. I know a pianist who's recorded this, and I've discussed this with other pianists, and they all have similar attitudes towards these measures. (The pianist who recorded it took many takes, with most attempts followed by a loud expletive.)

So, do you have a favorite Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#597991 - 01/01/06 07:09 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Chopin Scherzo No. 2 - in the middle there is a fast section in E major. No matter how much I practice it, it seems that my right hand doesn't want to "fit" in that key! My hand feels over-stretched, fingers feel overcrossed - or something (it is hard to describe). It is weird - I've not had that feeling in other pieces.

#597992 - 01/01/06 07:11 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
TheAsianPianist Offline

Loc: Michigan
Well, whenever I try to play Moonlight Movement 3 I just can't get the timing right with both hands for measures 9-13. Also, I think that I play the last couple measures too fast and without much clarity for Rach's G Minor Prelude, and when I try to slow it down it just sounds chopped up.

#597993 - 01/01/06 07:55 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: the left bank -- of the east r...
My Achilles heel? I'd say its gotta be Liszt, Chopin, Beethoven, and Ravel.

\:D

#597994 - 01/01/06 07:56 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
There's this one part in the Prokofiev 3rd sonata I play that has these alternate note passages in the RH and a low bassy ostinato in the LH that I just can't seem to get nailed down, and a few measures later there's this repeated note pattern that is tough at full speed too because it depends so much on having a good action.

#597995 - 01/01/06 08:23 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My two achilles heel composers are Ravel and Prokofiev.

#597996 - 01/01/06 08:36 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: VA/MD/England...long story...
in general it's Handel and Bach (although i like playing Bach...to a certain extent).

#597997 - 01/01/06 09:51 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
Fiorentino Offline

A certain left hand passage in the Schubert Wanderer Fantasie, 1st movement.

*shakes fist in general direction of Schubert's grave*

#597998 - 01/02/06 07:01 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
 Quote:
Originally posted by 8ude:
My two achilles heel composers are Ravel and Prokofiev. [/b]
Amen to that!

#597999 - 01/02/06 08:24 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
andrewp Offline

Loc: united kingdom
I'd have to say most pieces by Chopin - much to my regret.

Whilst I can get my fingers around many of the intermediate-dificult ones, I can't make the music breathe in a natural way. My Chopin is stiff and clunky.

More at home with Bach, Beethoven and Schumann.

#598000 - 01/02/06 10:00 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
La Leggierrezza - ai yi yi...

#598001 - 01/02/06 11:02 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: the left bank -- of the east r...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Lynn:
La Leggierrezza - ai yi yi... [/b]
But its such a wonderful piece!

#598002 - 01/02/06 11:11 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
vitamin Offline

Loc: UK
 Quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
My Achilles heel? I'd say its gotta be Liszt, Chopin, Beethoven, and Ravel.

\:D [/b]
You have three feet! ... you could always take up the organ :-)

#598003 - 01/02/06 11:33 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
 Quote:
Originally posted by whippen boy:
Chopin Scherzo No. 2 - in the middle there is a fast section in E major. No matter how much I practice it, it seems that my right hand doesn't want to "fit" in that key! My hand feels over-stretched, fingers feel overcrossed - or something (it is hard to describe). It is weird - I've not had that feeling in other pieces. [/b]
Yup the same for me here! The whole piece goes without too much of a hitch until I get here then it's like I've started unraveling a ball of yarn.

Oh my other things that are broken...

Moonlight 3rd movement
Chopin's 1'st Ballade Last few pages
Schubert's B-flat Sonata Op. Poth. The last movement.

Why does this happen?
I think we take too much for granted, make grand assumptions, and don't work as hard on these more difficult sections. The rest of the pieces aren't as difficult as these sections, therefore we breeze right through, and when we get here, we want to keep slipping along quickly.

John

#598004 - 01/02/06 01:44 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

John Citron said:
 Quote:
Why does this happen?
Maybe because those passages are just really difficult! ;\)

For me, I DO practice a lot on the harder sections - so it is all the more dissapointing when they don't go as planned.

End of Chopin's first Ballade - oh[/b] yeah...!

vitamin said:
 Quote:
You have three feet! ... you could always take up the organ :-)
:D

Two is plenty enough! Although it might just work...hmmm....

#598005 - 01/02/06 02:46 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
pianomad Offline

Loc: USA
Well, for me it happens because I psyche myself out. I think "here comes the passage that I've worked much harder on than anything else in this piece; whatever you do, don't screw it up like you probably will..."

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things

#598006 - 01/03/06 03:48 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

haha...good question

The only piece that has ever really "defeated" me is Liszt's mephisto waltz no. 1.

I studied this piece about 2 yrs ago and left it unfinished...no matter how hard I worked I could simply not get the double note trill passage that comes up right after the lyrical second section of the piece. The only way I could sucessfuly play it was if I divided the hands, which sounded disgusting.

Maybe in 2 years it will be nicer to me. \:\)

#598007 - 01/03/06 04:32 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
TheMadMan86 Offline

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
one word baroque

#598008 - 01/03/06 08:59 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Don't know, but i think my mozart pretty sucks!

#598009 - 01/03/06 11:27 AM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

The "animato e molto leggierro" sections of Grieg Concerto 1st movement. The end of each one, just before the run in thirds....

#598010 - 01/03/06 03:59 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh another piece that always "defeats" me - the Scherzo from Chopin's 2nd Sonata.

Parallel thirds, parallel fourths, octaves, rapidly repeated (large) chords, contrary motion, big stretches, awkward key. It's ALL there. Intensive practice always left me feeling worn out.

I've actually performed it quite a few times, but never to my satisfaction.

#598011 - 01/03/06 08:47 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Hmmm...

I have never been a very good Boroque player...

I would say the Prok 2nd is my Achilles Heel =D

#598012 - 01/03/06 09:25 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
SinspawnAmmes Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
My biggest Achilles' heel is strangely in a relatively easy piece. In the first movement of Bach's 3rd partita, there's a section where the main theme is transposed up a fifth (from A minor to E minor), and on the left hand, I have to play an A with 4, a D-sharp with 1, and the G below the A with 1! To play it, one would have to slide the hand over, but I always overshoot it, and I actually did so when recording it. I've never quite been able to pull that off, though I can do most things.

#598013 - 01/03/06 09:40 PM Re: What is your Achilles' heel in the piano repertoire?
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
All of Gaspard de la Nuit by Ravel. I swear... I mean, my hands can play it fine, it's just my brain doesn't comprehend it. So in turn, when I play it for people they think I do a fine job of playing it, but they don't understand the amount of awkwardness I have to go through to play it.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, Almaviva, 36251, 43 invisible), 1663 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153605 Topics
2251266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
11 minutes 55 seconds ago
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
16 minutes 38 seconds ago
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission