Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#59868 - 01/15/09 11:02 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Piano*Dad wrote:" The individual needs a punishment as well as the firm they represent. "

P*D- I've agreed with much of what you have written so far but I think this smacks of the witch hunt. For one thing, we really don't know if pianomadam really does represent Steinway. I have always had my doubts about that. She/he has never provided any verifiable identity to support that, and has behaved in ways that would make that a very questionable claim. Even if she is a legit dealer, do we have any evidence that Steinway knows or approves of this type of behavior? I can't imagine Bob Snyder, for example, doing this. The idea of "punishing" Steinway (don't they get enough of that around here anyway? ;\) ) for pianomadam's sins (whoever she/he actually is) seems a bit over the top.

Sophia

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#59869 - 01/15/09 11:16 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
wow. I know the economy, and the piano market for that matter, are on the ropes right now, but this trancends slow business and boredom, heading full steam towards guile.

However, it's been an entertaining read.

As the PianoWorld turns.."

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#59870 - 01/15/09 11:17 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
 Quote:
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
OK, here it is: I screwed up royally! My apologies to all on this forum. I'm ashamed and appalled at the lengths I saw myself go to. I let the anonymity get the best of me. I hope I can gain your forgiveness now or sometime in the future. I do value this site and assume there will be months of scourging I will be going through for any post I put on this forum in the future, but those are the consequences I'm willing to take on.

My apologies to Steinway & Sons, those that represent the Steinway & Sons Family of Pianos, and all piano professionals for my example.

That's all for now... [/b]
Back to pm's appology post; Genuine? or a crock of doo doo?

Or does it even matter?

#59871 - 01/15/09 11:25 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Beacon Chris:

By the way, if you feel the urge to develop a multiple personality disorder again, have a Gianni Schicchi moment, i.e. something funny. (that was for you, Turandot)
[/b]
Hey, I'll take that, too.

\:D

#59872 - 01/15/09 11:29 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beacon Chris:
Madam,

Disclosing your true identity and posting that way from now on would give you instant credibility here.

Try it - I think you would like it...

By the way, if you feel the urge to develop a multiple personality disorder again, have a Gianni Schicchi moment, i.e. something funny. (that was for you, Turandot)

Best to you,

BC [/b]
As for the rest of what Chris says, I agree wholeheartedly. Sunlight's the best disinfectant.

#59873 - 01/15/09 11:32 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honkytonk:
Now this is the Pianoworld I remember ;\)

I remember when Pianomadam first posted as JordanKittsGuy

It didn't take long for Him (Her?) to realize that this was not a good way to remain anonymous and all of his posts were quickly deleted. Since then this person has posted using many different sockpuppets.

PS - Hi everyone, have you missed me? [/b]
Here we all come out of the woodwork. all we need now is FTP.

#59874 - 01/15/09 11:39 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's inconsequential poppycock, this 'paid for postings' trade will continue, it has been since the days of Usenet (and which was one nail of many in Usenet's coffin)

What happens right here in PW is not too bad in comparison. It's just that minimum administrative measures ought to be part of site maintenance, that's all, IMHO.

#59875 - 01/15/09 11:41 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
I am sure the moderators are aware of this mess and they are taking their time to make the best decision. I have confidence that they will do the best they can for this forum's ongoing vitality. It may be that they have to tread carefully here because this may be a landmine field of legality.

Dan
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#59876 - 01/15/09 11:42 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by sophial:
Piano*Dad wrote:" The individual needs a punishment as well as the firm they represent. "

P*D- I've agreed with much of what you have written so far but I think this smacks of the witch hunt. For one thing, we really don't know if pianomadam really does represent Steinway. I have always had my doubts about that. She/he has never provided any verifiable identity to support that, and has behaved in ways that would make that a very questionable claim. Even if she is a legit dealer, do we have any evidence that Steinway knows or approves of this type of behavior? I can't imagine Bob Snyder, for example, doing this. The idea of "punishing" Steinway (don't they get enough of that around here anyway? ;\) ) for pianomadam's sins (whoever she/he actually is) seems a bit over the top.

Sophia [/b]
My point was really about the individual punishment. This board has not really tried policing socks, even ones that have been de-socked publicly, so to speak.

The firm they represent gets punished by all the negative backwash generated by the sock/shill getting caught. That seems unavoidable and it is independent of whether or not that firm (or manufacturer) was aware of the activity. That's a consequence of preserving anonymity on the web.

BTW, your point about the possibility of truly Machiavellian reverse spin (as in PianoMadam was really trying to throw dirt on Steinway instead of praise) is well taken. Others have argued for this possibility as well. In this case I doubt that is true. PM's posting history here seems far more amateurish than Machiavellian. But this reverse-spin possibility is yet another unavoidable feature of allowing dealers to post anonymously.

I am certainly not arguing that the forum itself should try to punish Steinway, or any other firm, for the lame behavior of its employees. I do wish to see us crack down on the individuals who behave in this way.

Firms themselves do have an incentive to tell their employees how to behave in situations like this. If I were Steinway, and PM was indeed an employee that I discovered to have perpetrated this little episode, I would at the least have a woodshed moment with that employee.

No matter what we do or don't do there are consequences. We could request that dealers do more than give their affiliation. We could ask them to behave as Steve Cohen and many others. Post their actual affiliation, not just their brands. That would ensure that no Machiavellian reverse-dissing was likely. On the other hand, it would drive out all dealers who were unwilling to be as visible as Steve. I'm agnostic about how to 'make' dealers behave.

But I remain of the view that individuals should pay some price for clearly transgressing known ethical boundaries.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#59877 - 01/15/09 11:58 AM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
P*D
Agreed about appropriate consequences for individuals who violate the rules/boundaries. In rereading my post, I don't think I actually suggested the Machiavellian scenario that PM is a competing dealer seeking to make S&S look bad (not that I have not at times thought it). Perhaps the amateurish posting style was designed purposely to throw us off the scent-- even more Machiavellian! \:D Well, before we turn PM into the evil genius of PW and start gathering our pitchforks and torches to storm the castle, hopefully the moderators will have some information or a response forthcoming.

Sophia

#59878 - 01/15/09 12:24 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
windsound Offline

Loc: IL
I think what Pianomadam did has damaged the image of the so-called Steinway designed pianos, that is, Essex and Boston, as well as Steinway in this incident.

#59879 - 01/15/09 12:45 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluekeys:
Are you a little lost lamb who wandered over here from the ABF? Maybe you're thinking of buying a piano? Let this thread be a warning to you--like a bloody head on a stick sharpened at both ends. You've crossed into savage country now. This is where Satan's dearest spawn, piano salesmen, hang their chain saws and hockey masks when they're not butchering little lambs like you.

You see, piano salesmen aren't born and suckled by loving mothers as you and me are, in nurseries with teddy bear wallpaper and squishy-squeaky toys. No. They grow from airborne spores that land in dank corners and suck blood from unsuspecting creatures that happen upon them. Some of these spores become politicians, others become investment bankers, but those that land in the darkest, dankest, and vilest corners become piano salesmen. There they learn dark arts, like shape shifting and IP manipulation, that let them become whoever they want, all the better to entice then squeeze their prey.

Tomorrow we may learn Piano Madam actually sells Walters and Yamahas and fabricated this whole ruse to discredit Essex. We don't know. This is Piano Land! There's no truth, only an eternity of loose tuning pins and cracked sound boards if we listen to the wrong lies.

Sometimes I wish I'd taken up the ukulele. [/b]
:rotfl:

this post is a classic. \:D

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#59880 - 01/15/09 12:56 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

actually, imo, these events are a very good education for piano shoppers. they reveal the character of the piano business, which has never been particularly high-minded, even when business was good.

trusting someone in the piano business just because they put a good face on themselves at PW is not wise, either.

there *are* legitimate, ethical, and trustworthy piano dealers out there, but i'd be hard-pressed to say they are in the majority. and it's all too easy to manage one's image in an online forum.

buyer beware, as always.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#59881 - 01/15/09 01:08 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
I think the moderators should check IP address on the most touted products on here. Walters included.

I'd be happy to help check IP addresses if allowed.
I know where I'd look first and I'd bet some posts would disappear before I got started.

I'll donate 10 hours of my time if the mods want.
Just give me permission and the knowledge how to do it and I'm in.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#59882 - 01/15/09 01:31 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I wounder if it is as easy as clicking the orange IP "logged" title between our "registered" date and the "Report Post" on the bottom of our post pages.

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#59883 - 01/15/09 02:04 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
From the PW Code of Ethics for industry folks...

Quote:
Code Of Ethics:
We do not condone members hiding behind a veil of anonymity so they can push there own agenda, promote their own business or products, or create negative posts about their competitors and/or competitive products.

Show some class, identify yourself and try to contribute positively to the forums.

If you consider yourself to be a professional, please act like one! If you just can't resist promoting yourself or your business, or you think bashing your competitors and/or their products is the way to do business, you will likely find yourself banned from the forums[/b].

This is not a platform for people with personal agendas, it is a place where people with a genuine interest in the piano come for help, hints, ideas, information, and even to make new friends.

Stop the Self-Promotion!
It is NOT ACCEPTABLE[/b] for you to create posts thinly disguised as an innocent discussion when in fact they are nothing more than a promotion for your business.

Nor should you be directing your customers here for the sole purpose of touting how wonderful you are.
If you can get banned for self-promotion, it seems that what to do about proven deceitfulness is a no brainer.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#59884 - 01/15/09 03:18 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jolly:

I'm not big on socks, never have been. Some are ok if they're funny, but this is not a general chat type forum...people are spending hard-earned money on the things they read here.

[/b]
Exactly! The apology must include repayment of any money lost.

Let's start a list.

Anyone who has lost any money based on Pianomadam's advice please post the amount so she can begin mailing the checks.

Once all the checks are in the mail we can begin the discussion of forgiveness.

#59885 - 01/15/09 03:55 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I lost 25 Walter sales so that's around a buck fifty. \:D

Well, if I sold them at the prices I read here.

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#59886 - 01/15/09 04:00 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by bluekeys:

Sometimes I wish I'd taken up the ukulele. [/b]
I dunno, bluekeys, the ukulele forum seems like it's a wild and crazy place, too; check out their two page thread on the sexuality of "ukers" (as they apparently are known). \:D

#59887 - 01/15/09 05:05 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
This was willfull, pre-meditated and manipulative. Add that to the posted rules here that specifically prohibit socks, particularly when it influences shoppers and it is clear.

Somebody out there likely knows who PianoMadam is. They should identify her/him to the mpderator who should contact and have them agree never to darken our door.

Also, I would begin to suspect everybody. Those who would sock here generally earn poor reputations and are often outed. I do think it is all that common here.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#59888 - 01/15/09 05:23 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Steve Cohen Offline

BTW, Frank is at NAMM.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#59889 - 01/15/09 06:19 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Mik is right, as is Steve. This is a no-brainer. A dealer's use of a sock to shill for their wares is, or should be, a banning event. This doesn't mean that Frank (or whoever makes the decision) must have every possible banning scenario worked out. I think some common sense would work just fine.

The fact that others in the past have used the same tactic seems like a poor defense for doing nothing now. In my view we should be more diligent in the future and reduce the incidence of this behavior.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#59890 - 01/15/09 06:20 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Steve, somebody - Ken K., I suppose - should contact him.

#59891 - 01/15/09 06:47 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Steve Cohen Offline

There is a "Report" waiting for his retrieval.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#59892 - 01/15/09 07:24 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco

#59893 - 01/15/09 08:21 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
[QUOTE]

p.s. I had no idea people were getting paid for posting. Man, that's 11,000+ opportunities for extra cash I've just squandered... \:D [/b]
:D

flickr

#59894 - 01/15/09 09:32 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hey Guys, \:\)

I just got home from work and sat down at the computer.

A few thoughts...

Socks do get actively looked into, all the time. IP addresses help some, but the really good socks know ways around that. There are a few I suspect are socks, just can't prove it.

For example, JordanKittsGuy didn't cover his tracks too well and it was not hard to out him.

A few months ago, I got a PM from a forum member advising me that two VERY respected forum members were one and the same person. I checked IP addresses and and found that both members posted from the same address. So I confronted one of the screen names. He had a fairly reasonable explanation, so I let it ride for a bit. About a week later I noticed another indication that we did indeed have a sock on our hands. So I jumped on him and I pulled no punches.

Again he had an explanation, although it was a bit of a stretch. Was he telling the truth? I really don't know. But the end result was that he got upset and never came back. I will not identify either of these people. If I was wrong I would be publicly shaming him, not to mention the other member who is still here. I feel terrible about it because I'll never know for sure and I would never intentionally cause someone grief or harm.

The best course of action when you suspect a sock is to let me and/or Frank know and we WILL look into it. Just beware we might not find any evidence of sock puppetry. And then any action taken would depend on how disruptive the member may be.

Ken

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician

#59895 - 01/15/09 09:57 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wow!!! sorry to be a bit negative but that sure puts the Muppets at ease.

It would be better to say we're watching you and you will be banned for puppettering without a licence.

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#59896 - 01/15/09 10:01 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Pianomadam Offline

Loc: Southern United States
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Verhnjak:
It takes guts to write what you did even if we don't know who you are.

From what I understand,
what you have done has been done by others.

Perhaps an apology to Yamaha and Charles Walter would have also been in order.

[/b]
--Fair enough, Rod. I will say, though, that the opinions I expressed are how I, Pianomadam, actually feel, and not an attempt to trash either product. I have sold Charles Walter in the distant past and am basing my impressions on such. I'm sorry for any way that I may have been perceived as trashing Charles Walter or Yamaha.

Family of Steinway-Designed Pianos (Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex) Dealer

#59897 - 01/15/09 10:03 PM Re: SOCK PUPPET ALERT: Essex, Yamaha, Charles Walter
Pianomadam Offline

Loc: Southern United States
 Quote:
Originally posted by Furtwangler:
Madam

I must say I am quite surprised and very impressed with your apology. How about a fresh start? [/b]
I wish it were that easy! Thanks for the thoughts, though. If I have to face expulsion...so be it. I would deserve it.

Family of Steinway-Designed Pianos (Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex) Dealer

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
152 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 36251, Al LaPorte, 45 invisible), 1629 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153580 Topics
2250842 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
04/19/14 01:17 PM
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
04/19/14 12:33 PM
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bsendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission