Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#602352 - 12/07/07 10:38 AM Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
We are all lucky to play what is one of the most self-complete of instruments (only the organ surpasses in this respect IMO) with such a large solo repertoire (both known and unknown) and which the art music public embraces so readily. And we all know that accompanying and chamber music can be a drag sometimes in the sense that it can take away valuable time from practicing solo work. But surely we all have chamber music with piano that we love just as much as our favorite works in the solo repertoire, the stuff that makes us wish that we had instrumental colleagues to get together with to perform? So why don't we share our chamber music with piano favorites (including duo sonatas, four hand works, and non-piano concerto reductions). I'll start with my list:

Bach:
Gamba sonata in G minor -- if one can't get period instruments, this works very well with cello and piano as Gould/Rose and Argerich/Maisky demonstrated

Mozart:
Sonata for two pianos in D major -- infectious!
Quintet for piano and winds -- Mozart called this "his best" work at one point

Beethoven:
Violin Sonata in Eb Op. 12 #3 -- impetuous early Beethoven
Violin Sonata in C minor Op. 30 #2 -- the equivalent of the "Tempest" sonata
Violin Sonata in G Op. 96 -- hints of the late period; BTW did anyone notice how the third movement of Mahler's Second seems to quote the trio of the third movement of this sonata (perhaps unconsciously)?

Schumann:
Piano Trio in D minor -- elegiac, even the D major last movement seems to smile through tears
Piano Quartet -- I prefer this to the mini-concerto Quintet;

Brahms:
Being a Brahmsian, I love it all dearly! If forced at gunpoint I suppose the following would stick out:
Two Piano Sonata in F minor -- IMO more effective than the later version for piano and string quartet
Cello Sonata in E minor
Violin Sonatas in G major and D minor
Both Clarinet Sonatas (did the Eb once)
Clarinet Trio (which I prefer to the more famous Clarinet Quintet)
Piano trios in B major (revised version), A major, and C minor
Piano Quartet in C minor -- so angsty!
Violin Concerto -- yes, I love this work so much that I would suffer through learning a reduction (sightread it with a violinist acquaintance once)

Schubert:
"Trockne Blumen" Variations

Reinecke:
"Undine" Sonata

The flute being my second instrument, both works above make me regret that one can't play both instruments at the same time (actually it is possible, but with limitations, and there are works for one performer playing both instruments!)

Prokofiev:
Cello Sonata in C -- a prime example of the lyric late Prokofiev

Faure (another composer who I have a great weakness for):
Piano Quartet in G minor
Piano Quintet in D minor
Violin Sonata in E minor -- adventurous harmonies

And my naughty list:

Chopin:
Piano trio -- what was he thinking?!?!? Maybe the original string performers were sleepwalkers....

Schubert: Arpeggione Sonata
Franck: Violin Sonata
I've listened to every conceivable version of these two works (well, except the ones for didgeridoo) and have yet to find anything that appeals to me...
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#602353 - 12/07/07 10:47 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Janus,

I also love chamber music too.

Mozart's 2 Piano Quartets are real gems. I particularly like the G-minor. Although the E-flat isn't so bad eithe. \:\)

His various trios are super too - very much like his piano sonatas.

Haydn's trios are great too. I played one of them, and loved it.

Beethoven's Violin Sonatas are wonderfull, especially the "Spring Sonata".

And his piano trios are glorious. They are just as difficult as his solo piano works in my opinion.

Of course with Schubert, we have his "Trout Quintet", and this three piano trios.

Mendelssohn's chamber works are really wonderful, and extremely difficult too.

I was lucky when I was younger because my piano teacher belonged to a chamber music group. She would perform a series of chamber concerts just about every other Sunday. The excitement of hearing a live recital was so great, and the music was absolutely super because all of the trio members were professional musicians from New England and Oberlin.

John

#602354 - 12/07/07 11:04 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I beg to differ that accompanying can be a drag. I absolutely love doing it! I think this is why many people prefer to call accompanists "collaborative pianists". Accompanist connotes that we play a second-hand role, when in fact, it is equally important for both to be present and skillful for a good performance.

I love working with other instrumentalists, though I am limited in my experience here. However, I play with many vocalists on a daily basis, and I truly enjoy it. The music is wonderful:

Schubert - any of his art songs
Vaughan Williams - some of my very favorite pieces
Faure - gorgeous and challenging pieces
Schumann - very pianistic and unique
and for more modern stuff: Mark Hayes - enjoyable pianistic parts which often incorporates jazzy/gospel chords and rhythms

And then there is opera literature, which presents challenges of 1) imitating different instruments on the piano 2) making the best of transcriptions, which may involve reworking some of the notes or dropping notes that are unplayable while not losing the character of the content 3) more drama in playing this literature. There is such a wealth of music in this field alone, not to mention all of the solo instrumental works one could "collaborate" on.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#602355 - 12/07/07 11:05 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Bloch: Suite for Viola and Piano

#602356 - 12/07/07 11:21 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Morodiene:
I beg to differ that accompanying can be a drag. I absolutely love doing it![/b]
Actually, I quite agree with you. I suppose it can be a "drag" for me specifically because I'm only an average sightreader and a very slow learner (especially when beginning a new piece), so practicing piano parts of worthwhile chamber music up to the technical standards of performing solo works can be quite a challenge for me. So I suppose only my limited skills make it a "drag" for me. But I've done a fair amount of accompanying in the past, and when you get together with musicians that you click with, it's such a joyful experience (and I for one make less mistakes than in performing solo works simply because the spotlight is on the ensemble, not on me alone; if only I can view performing solo with as much fun as performing as part of a duo or ensemble).
And I agree that the vocal literature is wonderful too -- I've accompanied numbers from Mozart operas and many art songs. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to collaborate with a tenor in Schubert's song cycles!
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#602357 - 12/07/07 12:56 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
Schubert:
"Trockne Blumen" Variations

Reinecke:
"Undine" Sonata

The flute being my second instrument, both works above make me regret that one can't play both instruments at the same time...
Then don't forget the Prokofiev Flute Sonata. Magnificent piece- I've played it along with the Reinecke.

Speaking of the latter, as anyone noticed parts of it seem directly taken from Schumann's Kreisleriana?

Also the Schubert Arpeggione Sonata exists in a nifty version for flute. It's also fun to play, though I can't claim it to be Schubert at his greatest.

#602358 - 12/07/07 01:00 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Chopin:
Piano trio -- what was he thinking?!?!? Maybe the original string performers were sleepwalkers....
It's just a weakly accompanied piano concerto.

#602359 - 12/07/07 01:12 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Then don't forget the Prokofiev Flute Sonata. Magnificent piece- I've played it along with the Reinecke.

Speaking of the latter, as anyone noticed parts of it seem directly taken from Schumann's Kreisleriana?

Also the Schubert Arpeggione Sonata exists in a nifty version for flute. It's also fun to play, though I can't claim it to be Schubert at his greatest. [/b]
Re: Undine, which parts do you speak of? I'm playing both works in my head at the moment and so far am drawing a blank in terms of similarity of motives/themes. In a broader sense Reinecke was indeed heavily influenced by both Schumann and Mendelssohn.
Strangely enough I've never loved Prokofiev's Flute Sonata as much as I should, which is odd, I know.
As for the Schubert, it really refuses to capture me. I listened to a few flute versions. I even attended a performance with a wonderful violist and pianist and it still didn't stick. I still think that the last movement has too much "heavenly length."
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#602360 - 12/07/07 01:16 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
Chopin:
It's just a weakly accompanied piano concerto. [/b]
Heh, so I suppose the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata could be called a strongly accompanied piano concerto? I have a weakness for the Rachmaninoff, though I still prefer the Prokofiev.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#602361 - 12/07/07 02:38 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Heh, so I suppose the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata could be called a strongly accompanied piano concerto?
LOL, but the Rachmaninov is such glorious music, so who cares? :3hearts:

Another "weakly" accompanied piano concerto is the Chopin Cello Sonata. Yeah, I know it's late Chopin, and supposed to share the profundities of the Barcarolle, the late Mazurkas, the 4th Impromptu and the Polonaise-Fantasie, but I've never warmed to it, even when stellar performers of the calibre of Rostropovich and Argerich have a go at it.

I'll get back to you re the Reinecke. I'm away from any scores at the moment, though libations are certainly close at hand... ;\)

#602362 - 12/07/07 02:51 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Another "weakly" accompanied piano concerto is the Chopin Cello Sonata. Yeah, I know it's late Chopin, and supposed to share the profundities of the Barcarolle, the late Mazurkas, the 4th Impromptu and the Polonaise-Fantasie, but I've never warmed to it, even when stellar performers of the calibre of Rostropovich and Argerich have a go at it.

I'll get back to you re the Reinecke. I'm away from any scores at the moment, though libations are certainly close at hand... ;\) [/b]
The Chopin cello sonata kinda grew on me slowly. I don't listen to it too often, but when I do it does at least satisfy me. But yeah, it still has balance problems, though it's not as absurd as that damn trio.
Oh, when you get to the Reinecke, could you refer to structural points (second theme of first mvt. coda of last mvt., etc.) rather than measure numbers? I don't have access to most of my library.
As for libations ... go knock yourself out! :p
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#602363 - 12/07/07 03:50 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
mrenaud Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I personally like the following:

Poulenc - Flute Sonata (standard repertoire, but for good reason)
Donizetti - Flute Sonata in C (a one-movement gem, and not too hard if you know your scales)
Messiaen - Quatuor pour le fin du temps (of course)
Oña - Andere Stimmen for piano six hands (unusual, but very evocative)

#602364 - 12/07/07 10:53 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
One of my very favorite chamber pieces is Czerny's Grande Sérénade Concertante, for clarinet, horn, cello & piano, Op. 126, with its wonderful melodies and Czerny's glittering piano:

Czerny Op.126

Utterly delightful.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#602365 - 12/08/07 01:07 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
No time for more than a quick listing of a few favourites:

Brahms F major cello sonata; all the violin sonatas; the E flat clarinet sonata (though I like it best with viola)
Schubert A major violin sonata. And I actually like the Arpeggione, though once again I prefer it with viola.
Frank Bridge cello sonata
Both Schubert piano trios
Just about the entire Lieder repertoire \:\)

#602366 - 12/08/07 01:35 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Oh, when you get to the Reinecke, could you refer to structural points (second theme of first mvt. coda of last mvt., etc.) rather than measure numbers? I don't have access to most of my library.
The score of the Reinecke is with the flutist I played for, therefore she has the score. But one of the inner movements of the Reinecke bears a very striking resemblance -not coincidental I would think- to the second section (Sehr innig und nicht zu rasch) from the Kreisleriana.

When playing the Reinecke, I was so strongly reminded of it.

#602367 - 12/08/07 12:38 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for all the responses so far, everyone. And I've even learned of some pieces which I have never heard of before, which is always great. Keep 'em coming!

Quote:
The score of the Reinecke is with the flutist I played for, therefore she has the score. But one of the inner movements of the Reinecke bears a very striking resemblance -not coincidental I would think- to the second section (Sehr innig und nicht zu rasch) from the Kreisleriana.

When playing the Reinecke, I was so strongly reminded of it. [/b]
Of course, yes, Reinecke's third movement main theme does resemble that of Schumann's second! Why didn't I hear that before? Incidentally, what do you make of those odd sf's in the Schumann theme? Everyone seems to ignore them.
Were the libations good this time around? \:D
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#602368 - 12/08/07 02:06 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Were the libations good this time around?
I don't remember...

Seriously, you're the first person I've encountered (at least virtually) who doesn't care for the Franck sonata. Amazing! I've never much cared for it on the cello, and it just sounds putrid on the flute, but the original violin?

Utterly eloquent... and the recitativo 3rd mov't? You'll find me out in the elysian fields...

#602369 - 12/08/07 02:30 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Seriously, you're the first person I've encountered (at least virtually) who doesn't care for the Franck sonata. Amazing! I've never much cared for it on the cello, and it just sounds putrid on the flute, but the original violin?

Utterly eloquent... and the recitativo 3rd mov't? You'll find me out in the elysian fields... [/b]
Hmm, I think I may just have some Franck issues. I admire the first movement of the D minor Symphony, and the Prelude Chorale and Fugue does grab me sometimes, but on the whole something about his style rubs me the wrong way (maybe the fact that he is sometimes foursquare in his phrase construction has something to do with it). The recitative you mentioned and the second movement are perhaps the two things I find most interesting about the violin sonata (but that's not enough for me to say that I like it). I listened to the string quartet once and thought it interesting enough to listen to again -- alas now I can't since I've moved since then, and I don't have access to a decent music library (or ANY music library for that matter, aside from a few volumes from my collection that aren't in storage).
Incidentally, I'm not the only one with Franck issues -- I read an interview with Uchida, who said that she'd like to get together with a quartet to perform the Franck piano quintet, even though, as she said, "The last movement is vile!"
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#602370 - 12/08/07 02:32 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
I like the Tchaikovsky Trio, Chausson's Concerto for Piano, Violin and String Quartet, Dvorak's Bagatelles (harmonium instead of piano, but close enough) and his Quintet, as well as Franck's. Mendelssohn's first Cello Sonata is nice. In fact, there is a lot more good chamber music than good concertos.

#602371 - 12/08/07 02:40 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BDB:
I like the Tchaikovsky Trio, Chausson's Concerto for Piano, Violin and String Quartet, Dvorak's Bagatelles (harmonium instead of piano, but close enough) and his Quintet, as well as Franck's. Mendelssohn's first Cello Sonata is nice. In fact, there is a lot more good chamber music than good concertos. [/b]
Oooh, the Chausson concerto is quite an original and lovely work -- I haven't listened to it in ages! I view the Tchaikovsky trio as something of a guilty pleasure, even though, as argerichfan may say, it's just another weakly accompanied piano concerto (though somewhat more strongly accompanied than the Chopin trio). And I agree with you about good chamber music vs. good concerti. Chamber music seems to bring about the best in composers.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#602372 - 12/08/07 02:55 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Janus, we have a lot in common, including wishing we could play two instruments simultaneously! \:D

Bach:
Just about anything he wrote...

Mozart:
I love the Sonata for two pianos in D major, as well as the C minor Fugue

Beethoven:
I'm fond of his Horn sonata, and have actually played both parts (though not simultaneously \:D )

Schumann:
I'm very fond of the "Adagio & Allegro" for Horn & Piano (played both parts to this too)

Brahms:
Quintet in F minor
All[/b] the violin sonatas!

Schubert:
"Trockne Blumen" Variations - I've played the flute part

Prokofiev:
Flute Sonata

Schubert: Arpeggione Sonata - never played it, but have the music & like it a lot

Franck: Violin Sonata (one of my FAVORITE pieces!)

I'm also extremely fond of the Debussy Violin Sonata, and the piano duet "En blanc et noir"

#602373 - 12/08/07 08:05 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Of the chamber music I've actually had a chance to play with others, I think the Brahms g minor quartet is my favorite. There's a gargantuan list of things I have not played, though. Aside from all the really standard stuff, I pretty much love any chamber music by Faure, Hahn, Pierne, and Taneyev. The Alkan cello sonata is terrific. There's lots of good four-hand stuff - for example, the Hindemith sonata, and in particular, I'm crazy over the Concerto for Piano, 4 hands, by Persichetti, which I think is a major masterpiece (in spite of the title, there's no orchestra).

wr

#602374 - 12/09/07 01:10 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
Beethoven
- Piano Concerto no.5 in E flat major
- Symphony's
- Violin Concertos

Mozart
- Sonata in D major for 4 hands, 2 pianos
- Piano Concerto in A major K488
- Piano Concerto in D major no.26
- Oboe Concerto in C major

Brahms
- Piano Concerto in B flat major
- Symphony's

Chopin
- Piano Concerto in e minor no.1

Prokofiev
- Piano Concerto no.1

R.Schumann
- Piano Concerto in a minor op.54

Mendelssohn
- Piano Concerto in g minor no.1

#602375 - 12/09/07 01:35 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
 Quote:
Chamber music seems to bring about the best in composers.
I suspect it is because it is more likely to be played (live) than orchestral pieces, and, as one of my friends says, because the reason we practice solo music is so that we can play well enough to play with other people.

#602376 - 12/09/07 01:38 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Beethoven cello sonatas op. 69 and op. 102 #1
Beethoven piano trio op. 97
Schubert piano trio in B flat D898

#602377 - 12/10/07 11:00 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whippen boy:
Janus, we have a lot in common, including wishing we could play two instruments simultaneously! \:D [/b]
Let me get this straight, aside from piano and organ, you also play flute and horn (and quite well judging from the pieces you mentioned)? That's quite something! I used to play recorder (soprano and tenor) and violin and cello passably, but nowadays I restrict myself to piano and flute (and I haven't practiced the flute in a long time, though once I was able to play the Mozart G major concerto, amongst other things).
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#602378 - 12/10/07 11:04 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wr:
Aside from all the really standard stuff, I pretty much love any chamber music by Faure, Hahn, Pierne, and Taneyev. The Alkan cello sonata is terrific. There's lots of good four-hand stuff - for example, the Hindemith sonata, and in particular, I'm crazy over the Concerto for Piano, 4 hands, by Persichetti, which I think is a major masterpiece (in spite of the title, there's no orchestra).[/b]
I have a great fondness for Faure too! And I didn't know Alkan had a cello sonata, I must check that out. Do you mean the Hindemith duet (i.e. hour hands at one piano) sonata? Yup, that's a great piece, and so is the two-piano sonata. Don't know the Persichetti, but if you don't know it already you must check out the Stravinsky Concerto for two pianos (no orchestra), one of my favorite Stravinsky works.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#602379 - 12/10/07 01:28 PM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
 Quote:
Let me get this straight, aside from piano and organ, you also play flute and horn (and quite well judging from the pieces you mentioned)? That's quite something!
I used to play horn and flute. Also violin. When I was a teenager I thought it was fun to learn instruments, although piano was always my #1 instrument. I got quite involved with French Horn and thought I might do a double major.

These days I'm only on keyboards, though I still have all of my instruments.

After playing so many instruments, I think it was sort of a natural thing for me to play the organ.

Back on topic \:\) I forgot to mention that I love piano duets: especially Poulenc, Brahms, Dvořák.

#602380 - 12/11/07 02:25 AM Re: Kammermusik mit klavier
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by wr:
Aside from all the really standard stuff, I pretty much love any chamber music by Faure, Hahn, Pierne, and Taneyev. The Alkan cello sonata is terrific. There's lots of good four-hand stuff - for example, the Hindemith sonata, and in particular, I'm crazy over the Concerto for Piano, 4 hands, by Persichetti, which I think is a major masterpiece (in spite of the title, there's no orchestra).[/b]
I have a great fondness for Faure too! And I didn't know Alkan had a cello sonata, I must check that out. Do you mean the Hindemith duet (i.e. hour hands at one piano) sonata? Yup, that's a great piece, and so is the two-piano sonata. Don't know the Persichetti, but if you don't know it already you must check out the Stravinsky Concerto for two pianos (no orchestra), one of my favorite Stravinsky works. [/b]
Speaking of four-hands stuff, Alkan took the wildly exciting last movement of the cello sonata, a saltarelle that he whips into quite a frenzy, and arranged it for (one) piano, four-hands. I wonder if he liked that music in particular, because it's the only thing of his that he recycled into another form, that I know of. I've never heard the four-hand version; in the right hands, I imagine it could be spectacular. Sadly, I suspect most piano duos don't even know it exists.

Yes, I meant the Hindemith four-hands at one piano sonata. And yes, the Stravinsky is wonderful. I wish I could recommend a recording of the Persichetti that is in print, but all have some problems. Probably the best is the one on Cedille by the Mangos sisters, but they do a really weird tempo shift in the coda that apparently is based on a misreading of the score, and it sort of undermined the whole performance. But the CD has some other duo stuff that's interesting, including a two-piano sonata by Persichetti, so it's a worthwhile purchase for people into the genre. There was a great LP of the composer and his wife playing it on Columbia; if you still listen to LPs, you can probably find a copy.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (AndrewJCW, ajames, ando, AndresD, 41 invisible), 1820 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75599 Members
42 Forums
156310 Topics
2295677 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
50 minutes 10 seconds ago
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
Today at 03:39 PM
Carrying Bah for Rokit 6 G3 monitors?
by Mta88
Today at 03:39 PM
Supplemental instruction?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 03:15 PM
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
Today at 12:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission