2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Joyce B Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi all,
I just joined, but I've been lurking for a while.
I have a question for anyone who's played Schumann's Faschinsschwank aus Wien.
There is a very fast arpeggiated figure a few measures before the end of the first movement.
Does anyone have a suggestion for fingering this?

Thank you.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've played it several times. I use:

RH: 123123412345 (or 12353 at the end is also possible if you need more sound on the Gb)

LH: 432143214321

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
J
Joyce B Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you Kreisler. I'll try that. It is such a fun piece to play, and that one section is the only part that I find troublesome - in the first movement.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Hello Joyce and welcome to Piano World.

I'm working on this piece too, and it looks like Kreisler had the answer for both of us. smile

This is a really fun piece to play. I listened to Sally Pincus playing this on WGBH recently, and she does a terrific job.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
A
A
Do you play the Intermezzo from Faschingsschwank? I love that piece...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh man; I thought this was a thread about a Bosie piano that ended up in some hotel room.... instead of delivered to a guy named Schuman.
LOL

I do wish you well on learning the piece though.
It sounds like a fun piece.
Wolf

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
J
Joyce B Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally posted by John Citron:
Hello Joyce and welcome to Piano World.

I'm working on this piece too, and it looks like Kreisler had the answer for both of us. smile

This is a really fun piece to play. I listened to Sally Pincus playing this on WGBH recently, and she does a terrific job.

John
Thank you for the welcome, John.
Will look up that Sally Pincus recording.
I tried Kreisler's fingering, and had a "why didn't I think of that?" moment. It seems to work very well.

The other thing I'm working on is the section in E flat, where you have a chord on the third beat tied into the first beat of the next measure. It's hard to play that section without the third beats sounding like the beginning of the measures.

J
Joyce B Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally posted by andrewp:
Do you play the Intermezzo from Faschingsschwank? I love that piece...
I like the intermezzo too. I want to work on the whole piece, but haven't started that yet.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Thank you for the welcome, John.
Will look up that Sally Pincus recording.
I tried Kreisler's fingering, and had a "why didn't I think of that?" moment. It seems to work very well.

The other thing I'm working on is the section in E flat, where you have a chord on the third beat tied into the first beat of the next measure. It's hard to play that section without the third beats sounding like the beginning of the measures.
I have the same problem with that section too. I can hear what it's supposed to do when I read th music away from the piano, but when I try it for real, it doesn't come out that way! The other thing that is so hard with this whole piece, in general, is the balancing of the chords. It's so hard to play them firmly without making them sound crashy. I've tried different hand positions to open up the middle a bit, but I can't find one that works the way it should.

Re: The Sally Pincus recording. You can hear this online via www.wgbh.org . Look for the link for the webcasts. She plays this and his Waldscenen.

Good luck,

John

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
I practiced that Eb section with metronome = 1 click per measure.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Kreisler!

John

I had another thought, too. I usually make the first beat of the bar in that section a little bit longer. Emphasizing the silence a bit seems to help...

www.pianoped.com
A
A
Originally posted by Joyce B:
[b] Do you play the Intermezzo from Faschingsschwank? I love that piece...
I like the intermezzo too. I want to work on the whole piece, but haven't started that yet. [/b]
Ditto! but it was a total biatch to bring up to speed. As well and the bring out of the melody line.
heres someone elses playing i found while working on it..
Intermezzo
i have a crappy video of myself playing it somewhere... id put it up if feel gutsy enough. smile

J
Joyce B Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally posted by Kreisler:
I had another thought, too. I usually make the first beat of the bar in that section a little bit longer. Emphasizing the silence a bit seems to help...
Kreisler,

Thanks for the suggestion - sorry, I was away for the weekend, and just saw your post now.
I had been practicing this section as you said - with the metronome on 1 beat per minute - and that helps. I'll try what you said above too.

J
Joyce B Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally posted by skeletony:
Originally posted by Joyce B:
[b]
[b] Do you play the Intermezzo from Faschingsschwank? I love that piece...
I like the intermezzo too. I want to work on the whole piece, but haven't started that yet. [/b]
Ditto! but it was a total biatch to bring up to speed. As well and the bring out of the melody line.
heres someone elses playing i found while working on it..
Intermezzo
i have a crappy video of myself playing it somewhere... id put it up if feel gutsy enough. smile [/b]
Hello Skeletony.

The link does not work.
I would love to see your video of it, if you want to post it.

A
A
^^ hello Joyce.. id try to do a new recording soon and post it. Try this link again click on the 3rd link on the page...hope this works smile

J
Joyce B Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Wow. That was fast! Thanks Skeletony!
The link seems to work because it goes to an actual page. I can't listen to it now, though because I'm at work.

Thanks again!

A
A
Hey no prob! id like to learn the whole of Faschinsschwank hopefully in the near future. Do let us know your progress!

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I

B
BDB Offline
B
A little body english can work wonders. Try nodding your head a bit on the first beat.

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission