Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#603011 - 12/12/07 07:33 PM What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
internetsrsbusiness Offline

Loc: The End of the Internet
Reading through the forums I have read a lot of stuff about how people start playing from an young age, molding their brains to be able to maximize their potential as a pianist. Playing 2-10+ hours a day. This makes me wonder though, what have you sacrificed, given up or regret about spending so much time learning your craft? Do you feel there are things your brain is bad at or unsuitable for, now that it is tuned for piano playing? do you feel it gives you any other advantages in life? Or are there things you just do not/did not like and wish could have been different?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#603012 - 12/12/07 07:57 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've given up going to many parties and hanging out with friends on weekends.

I also play tennis at a very high level so between music and tennis, I really don't have time for anything else.

#603013 - 12/12/07 08:01 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
I have given up alot of social life here in canada as I'm not going to a normal uni/college.
When I was in Gr 12, I did part-time school so that I had enough of time to devote to practising the piano. I have been out of school for 2 years after I graduated because of this.

Besides the piano, I play the flute,piccolo and violin as well but I had to give those up recently to concentrate on the piano.
Will take the flute&piccolo up again after I return to singapore. maybe the violin too...

I love music and it is my life, I don't regret doing all those things. Now I do have friends who I hang out with once a week so that I feel better. I teach piano and do other jobs as well to fill up my time. Yes, in some way i'm not satisfied with my social life but it's worth it, what i've done to achieve what I have for the past year.

#603014 - 12/12/07 08:04 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
thepianist2008 Offline

Loc: NY
Let me ask you a question: What do you sacrifice by devoting a few hours a day to the one thing you love to do more than anything else? What does it cost to be able to do an activity that gives you happiness no matter what the day, no matter if you've just taken a break for a little while, or you've done it every day for the last five years?

Or another: What do you sacrifice by deciding to spend the rest of your life with one person who you love deeply?

Why do you see this as a sacrifice? I would think not to play the piano would be a sacrifice. The reason we spend so much time on it is that we love it. I don't know much about marriage, but I do think that devoting so much time to the piano is like a marriage, and it's one of the most rewarding things I'm doing with my life. It's not just a solitary thing where you hide away, it's social, too. Meeting other pianists, instrumentalists, vocalists, talking to your audience, and performing for your friends and relatives. There is no sacrifice, at least, I can't find one. The money it costs to buy a piano pays itself a hundredfold.

I don't believe I'm giving up anything. I believe I'm choosing to be happy.

Current Assignments:
Bach Prelude and Fugue in Bb Maj, D min, and C Maj from Bk I
Mozart Sonata K.280
Brahms Rhapsody Op. 79 No. 2
Bartok Six Roumanian Folk Dances
Prokofieff Visions Fugitives Op. 22

I'm going to Ithaca! Yay!!!

#603015 - 12/12/07 08:21 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have to admit, my social life suffers a little because of the piano. Even though i get a lot of attention from girls because of it, i haven't really put in the effort to make a relationship with someone because i'm afraid it will take away time from my piano practice and such.

talk about obsessed, huh.
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#603016 - 12/12/07 08:29 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
internetsrsbusiness Offline

Loc: The End of the Internet
 Quote:
Originally posted by thepianist2008:
Let me ask you a question: What do you sacrifice by devoting a few hours a day to the one thing you love to do more than anything else? What does it cost to be able to do an activity that gives you happiness no matter what the day, no matter if you've just taken a break for a little while, or you've done it every day for the last five years?

Or another: What do you sacrifice by deciding to spend the rest of your life with one person who you love deeply?

Why do you see this as a sacrifice?[/b]
I am not saying there is anything wrong with loving and devoting oneself to the piano. I was just curious if people who have done so have had difficulty in other skills or areas of life.

#603017 - 12/12/07 09:53 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
I don't believe I'm giving up anything. I believe I'm choosing to be happy. [/b]
Well said! I share your enthusiasm and I, too, look at all I'm getting from playing the piano, not at what I'm losing!

Regards,

#603018 - 12/12/07 09:56 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
I'll second Bruce D's post.
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

#603019 - 12/12/07 11:33 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
joyolympia Offline

Loc: Olympia, Washington
What have I sacrificed to play the piano?

1. TV watching.

2. the expectation that I ought to be able to get everything that I ought to do done every day

3. the idea that I'm obliged to spend social time with people I don't really click with. I'm not shy or anti-social. It's just that with piano pressuring my time during the past few years I have felt more free to decline invitations because I'd rather be home practicing. So when the really good potential friends come along, the ones I'd give up practice time to be with, I cultivate those friendships more than I otherwise might have. Less quantity friends, more quality friends.

4. the idea that my life would be better if it involved 2.2 kids, a husband, and a white picket fence.

Some sacrifices, huh?
You got faults,defects, or shortcomings? Like arthritis,rheumatism or migraines? Whatever part of your body it is,I want you to lay it on the radio. Let the vibes flow through! Funk not only moves,it can RE-move, dig? The desired effect is what you get,when you improve your inter-planetary funksmanship.
-George Clinton,Grandmaster of Funk

#603020 - 12/13/07 01:01 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
 Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
 Quote:
I don't believe I'm giving up anything. I believe I'm choosing to be happy. [/b]
Well said! I share your enthusiasm and I, too, look at all I'm getting from playing the piano, not at what I'm losing!

Regards, [/b]
the same goes for me too

#603021 - 12/13/07 02:37 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
heh...

Not regarding piano per se but music in more general:

I'm a "born musician". I left my country, took my wife and my 9 month old baby to come to the uk and study. This must be some sacrifice, huh? Especially on my wifes behalf. ;\)

On actual piano playing, not only I didn't lose anything, but I'm popular to my friends for being able to play the piano, plus I actually met my (future) wife[/b] in a concert where I was playing one of my pieces! \:D Can't get much better than that, can it?

THANK YOU PIANO!

#603022 - 12/13/07 04:12 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
The Canadian chappie is obviously doing his business sums ... if the annual return on 500 hours at the piano is only a stumbling
proficiency ... and a second year (+500 hours) a similar plateau ... and the third year (+500 hours) ... the realisation will dawn of not
being cut out for music ... and in all probability packing one’s bags and branching out into some other activity ... like karate, golf
or hang-gliding!!! ... besides the un-businesslike outlay (spurred by the likelihood of being put off the piano forever) ... the question remains

"Was the 1500 hour sacrifice worth it?"

We need to discount the romantic stories of some who remain cosy with their grand (even though they can’t play it) ... but like to share the gush of what the piano brought into their lives.

The chappie with the calculator reads off activities in a 24 hour day ... with 18 hours in a busy day taken up with sleep, work and travel ... there are only 6 hours in each day where we have any CHOICE.

Sleep ... 8 hours
Work .... 8
Travel ...2

Piano ... 2
Eat ..... 1
Read .... 1
Gym ..... 1
Relax ... 1

So agreeing to use up 2 hours (of choice-time) at the piano per day needs careful consideration ... decisions, decisions!!

#603023 - 12/13/07 05:22 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
I would just like to drop in and echo what many before have already said -- it's only a sacrifice if it feels like you've given up something that may cause regret. I have never felt I've given up anything by devoting my existence to music. So many aspects of mundane existence are terribly overrated anyway.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#603024 - 12/13/07 06:29 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
If the truth were known, I suspect more people develop regrets -- perhaps (too) late in life -- for having merely surfed along superficially over the years than those who have developed true depth in one or more specific areas of their life; whether it be becoming an artist/musician, true professional in their vocation or career, connected & engaged father, or ...

Being serious at the piano is a depth activity. One I personally regret not having had the maturity to take much more seriously in my youth.

#603025 - 12/13/07 12:17 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
 Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
 Quote:

Regards, [/b]
My thoughts exactly!
I don't think it's a sacrifice, but a privilege. Having the chance to devote your time to something you truly enjoy is a real gift.

As a child I never had the opportunity to take piano lessons, hence my gratitude for any time spent practicing and playing.

That doesn't mean that I've lost my friends or my social life. Quite the opposite! They love coming to my place and 'snooping' into my music books \:D
Maybe I went out more often before, but as somebody already said, it's about the quality, not the quantity.

#603026 - 12/13/07 12:44 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
Zubi-Zomp Offline

Loc: Jersey Shore
I think the people in this thread who say, "Piano is a life-enriching joy and choosing to play is no sacrifice" are right, in an overall, big-picture, whole life kinda way.

Still, I've found that in a smaller, daily sense, choosing to spend a certain amount of time at the piano often does require the difficult choice to give something else up - spending time with one's spouse (maybe occasionally drawing said spouse's ire as a result), reading this book or watching that TV show. I won't say I've ever regretted making the choice to practice or play, but when the book remains unread or the weeks of unwatched shows pile up in the TiVo, I can't say there isn't a certain amount of... I dunno, bittersweet, maybe?

But it's a choice I gladly make, 'cause for me the real regret was the many years I spent ignoring my musical pursuits, sacrificing them (as it were) in favor of more immediate, ephemeral pleasures.

#603027 - 12/13/07 04:23 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Well, this is neither here nor there BUT, when I was in college, I was one of the most popular girls on campus because I knew all the singalong, college and fraternity songs. I was booked months in advance to play piano for the parties in the fraternity basement rumble rooms. I tapped more kegs than Bayer's got aspirin. I was never without the uh, shall we say, company of the best-looking, talented, well-to-do guys - some of which I am in contact with to this day. Without the piano playing, I would be just another co-ed waiting by the phone... I never had to do anything for myself, just be there...

#603028 - 12/13/07 04:44 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
I feel as I sacrifice nothing as I enjoy it so much, and am never content with the amount of time I put into it.
I have given up, however, a sport which I love after a tough decision of which to continue, but am glad I've made it!

#603029 - 12/13/07 06:04 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

This is not really admitting to a sacrifice, but sometimes I am just curious about how my life would have gone had I played a more easily portable instrument and/or one that is used in the standard Classical orchestra.

#603030 - 12/14/07 03:10 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
Rob Mullins Offline

Loc: LA CA
Hi,
It is possible that the poser of the question is referring to the problem that some athletes have...too much time getting good at something and really missing out on a lot else. Unlike most sports, playing music is something you can do by yourself. I had some bad isolating physical problems when I was young and pouring hours into music study was the only thing that saved my life. Because of those hours I spent I have been able to do many things I could have never done otherwise...and I don't regret any of that time spent. Anyone who truly masters a piece of music should feel great about themselves and spending the time with the instrument is the only way to receive the rewards.

#603031 - 12/14/07 11:49 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
I gave up nothing to devote my time to the piano. I agree with Bruce too. My piano time is highly valued to me because it's so limited. So having said that, I couldn't give a fart about TV, and usually don't watch it much.

and

Many times I was obligated to go parties and family gatherings that I hated, and I nicely put my foot down and said no. I stayed home to practice the piano in peace. [1]

John
[1]
The idea is great, but for some reason the door bell rings with unwanted vistors, the dog wants to go out a gazillion time, and the phone interupts me at least three times.

#603032 - 12/14/07 12:15 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
The only thing I've given up is TV. 3 hours a day can easily be pulled from TV time. I live a completely full life otherwise with work and family and taking kids to activities, plus other hobbies.

Now what my family has given up (poor family ;\) , is the presence of silence...it is daily routine for me to be on the piano from 7-10pm.

#603033 - 12/15/07 11:27 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
Shellman Offline

Loc: East Riding, Yorkshire, Englan...
I have also given up TV almost entirely - there seems to be nothing on it these days anyway! I also don't have much of a social life much of the time and the other thing I've given up is sleep and relaxing when I get home from work. Luckily, I have a very patient wife!

I also have other hobbies which require what most people would define as work (sitting infront of this PC and reading a lot plus researching the latest developments on the net) so I sort of go in musical / non musical phases to try and keep a balance. It doesn;t always work so I just end up burnt out every few months and have to stop.

#603034 - 12/16/07 03:16 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
Jared88 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
I started playing the piano when I was 4. I'm 19 years old now and still playing, but I can honestly say that playing from such an early age was the best thing that ever happend to me. It helped me become a proficient musician.

Ever since I can remember I've never had trouble with math. I've always had a logical and scientific mind as well. Identifing patterns and trends also comes very naturally to me, and sometimes I do so with out even realizing it.

These are a few of the benefits from playing the piano at a young age. There is actually scientific evidence proving that children involved in music generally tend to accel in the fields of math and science. Its called the "Mozart Effect"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_effect

I'm not saying that music is the absolute reason why math and science come naturally to me. There are plenty of mathmatical and scientific minds in world that were not acheived through music and the "Mozart Effect" and I could be one of them. But at the same time I can't deny the possibility...

#603035 - 12/17/07 01:35 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
DestinysPuppet Offline

Loc: Argentina
I started piano at 8 only, but I have always listened to classical music and have pretty much the same experiences Jared here talks about! I love maths, and my gf thinks I'm weird sometimes because of my brain's tendency to find, create and muse on patterns.

On what I've sacrificed, well, nothing! I've given up a lot of things and social contacts because I attended the conservatoire while studying to be a translator, but now that it's only work and music, I find I have quite a lot of free time. I don't even have a TV in my bedroom (I use the DVD-R in the living room to record House MD, the only thing I watch), but I can read a healthy amount of books, go out with friends 1/2 times a week, hang out with my gf, and even sleep an average of 7 hours per day...

BTW, my work hours are not fixed, and I work from home. That helps a lot. There are some days I practically spend working, but then there have been entire weeks in which I have had nothing to do!

#603036 - 12/17/07 05:28 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:
I've given up going to many parties and hanging out with friends on weekends.

I also play tennis at a very high level so between music and tennis, I really don't have time for anything else. [/b]
Well, I don't have any friends, and don't get invited to parties, so that's not a problem. \:D

Anyway, I don't really feel like I'm giving up anything. I probably don't play as much as some of you, but I love piano, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

#603037 - 12/17/07 09:29 AM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
what a gift piano passion is

however,

there are no patches on my sons' boyscout uniforms,

my daughter looks shabby

my house is a mess

i have no social life

no one gets Christmas cards till January

or presents either for that matter

i have no leisure time

my husband is unloved

the yard is unkempt

the car is a disaster

and my dog needs to visit the vet

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#603038 - 12/17/07 12:11 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Sleep

#603039 - 12/17/07 12:12 PM Re: What do you sacrifice by devoting yourself to the Piano?
asherf Offline

Loc: Colorado
it's better to say I lost all this time for other things because I'm working on my music, rather than because I was getting high.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (aesop, Ben_NZ, AndrewJCW, Allard, beet31425, AZ_Astro, 18 invisible), 1067 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156857 Topics
2304760 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
58 minutes 4 seconds ago
Tuning a piano
by johan d
Today at 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
Today at 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
Today at 12:38 AM
DAMPP CHASER
by tksler
Today at 12:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission