2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, 7 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi all,

This is actually a continuation of a thread I started in the piano forum, which I am bringing here because it was getting a little techy, about a 1905 Steinway A (I’m also the one who started the renner parts thread; so forgive me if some of you have already read what I wrote about this). Case finish is okay but a little worn, action shot (hammers completely done), good soundboard and pinblock, according to my tech, and (to me) a decent sound. My tech says that it looks like it’s been restrung in the last 30 years. I am considering purchasing this piano, for $12K, and have a new action put in it (at least).

I know that this has been the subject of debate, here (I read some) and elsewhere. I called another well-respected tech (trying to talk to as many as possible) about this 1905A, and told him there were a few hairline cracks in the soundboard; and he right away thought it wasn't a good buy, and that I shouldn't pay more than $5K for it, because the soundboard would have to be replaced for sure.

So here's what I don't understand: why is putting in a totally new soundboard definitely better than shimming one, specially if it already sounds pretty good? He was so unequivocal. (Also, sighting the Steinway grand that costs $5K, no matter how bad the condition, is about as likely as a unicorn sighting, round here, far as I can tell.) Doesn’t Steinway say (as well as my tech) that cracks, as long as there are no gaps, and it sounds okay, are not necessarily a concern?

Another question, which is more existential. Rebuilders work on pianos that are either owned by somebody else, or themselves. So in terms of rebuilt pianos, you can either 1) buy an already rebuilt piano at a retail shop, from a tech, or private party; or 2) buy a used one and have it rebuilt by the tech of your choice. Right? So, assuming a tech believes in the quality of his own work, why wouldn't he feel it was worthwhile to rebuild a piano, if his cost of repairing/replacing everything that needed it, plus the price of the piano, would still be less than the price of a fully rebuilt piano of the same vintage, elsewhere? Isn’t that exactly why God made piano techs who have these skills: to rebuild pianos, even in the worst shape, into something that’s worth what they are sold for by others? (I understand that it’s entirely possible for a purchaser to be unhappy with the results of a tech’s work, even if he’s good.)

Or is rebuilding such an old piano just too great a risk for a private party to take? Do piano techs make the really big repairs only for retailers who can sell the piano without loving it?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What's your total budget? What's the purpose of your piano: casual play at home? What's your skill level? What pianos are you most familiar with? What pianos have you looked at besides this one? Why rebuild rather than buy new?

All these questions go into determining whether you'll be happy with this outcome. Please also understand that it's difficult to comment about a specific piano without seeing (doesn't stop me, though!).

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
C
OP Offline
C
Hi Cy. My piano budget is drifting above 20K, at this point (so I would be able to put up to around $10K into repair/rebuilding). When my budget was smaller, like less than 10K, I was actually less worried about it, because I felt there were very defined limits on what I could look for in a piano. I'm looking at used because I am pretty sure that the amount of money I have will not buy a new piano that I will like. Also, the larger poll of pianist and tech opinion around here has come back to me, strongly in favor of my tech (though I still have to try some of his work product); so I will trust him to do rebuilding.

I have looked at a GAZILLION pianos, of pretty much every kind that is sold around here (except some of the really lesser brands), both new and used. I grew up playing an 1898 Steinway, also an A II! I think this being the same model I'm looking at is coincidence; but I guess it explains both my preference for Steinway and my conceptions that old pianos can be very good. Right now I am practicing on a 1915 M that belongs to my neighbor; it would be good, but it needs a new action too, it's really falling apart.

I am going back to school (undergraduate) to study piano. It's funny, my skill level probably doesn't even necessitate a killer piano. But I need a piano I can like, just because playing piano constitutes 99.9% of my joy in life. Not that I don't enjoy many other things greatly; it's just that playing piano gives me so much joy it leaves everything else a distant second. I feel that I can't afford to diminish the pleasure I get out of playing, because it is such a big part of my life. (In any case, I spend several hours a day doing it.)

My preferences on sound are pretty strong. I don't know how to describe it, but I know what I am looking for; I definitely react to certain timbres or tones in pianos. This 1905 A still has a clear voice, even with the totally destroyed hammers in it, and some power. So I am praying that new action (with the voicing I prefer) will pop it up into a sound I would probably prefer over the sound of many other pianos in this price range.

thanks everyone.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
$10,000 should get you a pretty good action rebuild/replacement. But that's about it. If you want strings your probably out of luck due to board, bridge, pinblock, agraff and cosmetic work like the plate. That's West coast prices I'm not sure about East coast or central prices. I do believe rates change according to the demographics.

The price for the piano seem reasonable for your market. I'm sure some of the dealers/rebuilders have paid less, but once again perhaps in the East Coast and with more damage due to the climate.

Take care,

Rod

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

C
OP Offline
C
Yeah, there is no climate here: every day it's the same. We have traffic forecasts, not weather forecasts (I'm not complaining).

I got a quote of $6,000 (in Southern California) for rebuild of action, from my tech; but I will keep shopping, not so much for price as for workmanship.

I want to leave alone the bridge, soundboard (I guess that means leaving the strings too), and pinblock right now; I like them the way they are. Plate looks good; I will post pictures of it.

Thank you very much.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission