2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#606726 07/27/05 12:56 PM
OP Offline
This is my first posting... Thanks for letting me join!!!

I live in the UK and I'm learning a bit about tuning and wanted to buy a professional Tuning Hammer. I was thinking about buying the Hale Pro Extension Piano Tuning Hammer. Any thoughts?

Also, I was thinking about ordering it with the #1, #2 tips, medium & extra long heads, and a tip wrench. Will that be enough or should I order the #3 and #4 tips as well. I would like to tune for money at some time in the future and would prefer to buy everything that I need now. Thanks for the help. I've been reading through the past posts on a number of subjects and they have been a great help. You guys are the best! whome

Londonderrry-

#606727 07/27/05 03:27 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd get the #3 and #4 tips. If you plan to tune for a living someday, you'll run across pianos with these oversized pins (usually they are replacements for #2s that have become loose).

An extension hammer with medium and long heads and a wrench should be fine. The longer heads are necessary in many instances. Does it have a wood handle? Wood's much nicer to use, IMO.

I've seen hammers with knobby ends that supposedly are more ergonomic. I'm sure someone here can give you a link to a site that sells them, so you can compare.

August Förster 215
#606728 07/27/05 06:09 PM
S
S
Fletcher Newman is a decent hammer and you can get one just a bit south of you. It is a bit on the lite side but it has it's advantages at times.

#606729 07/28/05 07:50 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In regards to this thread...am also interested in persuing minor tunings between REAL tunings.

Was looking at the kits from VanDaking...Professional kit-wood handle (just love well made tools, cool auto mechanic background)
http://www.vandaking.com/us-shop/index.html?loadfile=item0.html

Saw the Impact hammer?? confused http://www.reyburn.com/cyberhammer.html

Any comments??

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
#606730 07/28/05 06:35 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I started with a standard Schaff/Hale type hammer, with a synthetic handle. I still use it for uprights. I don't like the gooseneck student hammers, even for students: I can't sense the angles through which the force is transmitted, because the curved neck confuses me.

I also have a ball-head hammer from Renner USA that I just love for tuning grands. There are several people who make and sell ball-head hammers, including some on this list.

I wouldn't myself spend any effort in trying to get all your tools at this point. It's worked much better for me to get them as I need them, maybe even trying them out so I feel comfortable with them first. But everyone has his own approach to life -- enjoy the tunings!

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission