2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#606860 02/16/09 07:36 AM
W
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
I have the trail version of Tunelab Pro on my laptop. I have used it a few times but continue to used my SAT 3. I like the tunings produced by Tunelab but fine it more time consuming to get the display to stop or centered. I know this is a more accurate display than rotating LED's. My question when you sample your 6 C's for a new tuning file and are presented with the tuning curve what should you be looking for or doing to the curve. Is it okay to leave it along or should you do some a adjusting.

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
http://www.walkerpiano.ca/
#606861 02/16/09 10:00 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You might find the trial version easier to use than the hiker oriented "trail" version that you have. laugh

As with any ETD, you should learn to use your ears as the final judge. I follow a lot of ETD tuners who are not listening to what they are doing. The clients didn't like what they heard and call me , or an ETD tuner who is also using his ears.

ETDs seem to be great as a tuning tool, but not so great as a final judge of note placement. ('Looking for my flame suit. 'Can't seem to find it. 'Yikes!)

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
#606862 02/16/09 02:47 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
SPECIAL SALE!!!!! :t:

The Flash. Flexible polyester/nomex flame suits for the runner and dodger. Comes in two non distinctive colors. Minimum flame protection.

The Stealth. This flame suit is perfect for snipers. Completely invisible, it allows you to get into the perfect position. After firing a shot the suit keeps perfect silence even if you try to say something even less tactful. Has gossip filters so you can continue to receive email without worry.

The Flame Handlers. The nomex/asbestos gloves are well suited for those who like to be the flamer. Darkened face shield protects against flashback skin burn when dealing with volatile DIYer's.

The Ostrich. Aural tuners will love this one as it protects you from hearing anything other than what you think. Comes in black and white.

The Hum Dog. This flame suit is armored like the new army Hummers. Most armor piercing flame projectiles or land mines won't get through this one. Allows you to go where others fear to tread. Well suited for ETD tuner. Comes in a variety of modern displays.

The Holier Than Thou. Looks like a simple white cotton robe but it really is a super flame reflecting fabric that can be used to direct and focus the flame back at the flamer, reducing them to a crisp. Built large and loose, it is easy to cover yourself up when being flamed from all directions.

SPECIAL ORDERS WELCOME!!!!
smokin

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
#606863 02/16/09 04:40 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Wayne,

These guys are just having a little fun. They are the greatest guys in the world, but they do like to have a little fun with us novices. laugh

What I did after taking the inharmonisity measurements (remember to do only one string on the bi-cords and tri-cords) was to look at the tuning curve and compare it with the other trial (I mean trail wink ) tuning files in TuneLab. If it looks similar, you are probably Okay. You can manually adjust the tuning curve as you go if you like.

Of course, I’m still learning about TuneLab myself.

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
#606864 02/16/09 05:13 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Keith,

"The Holier Than Thou" sounds about right for me. It'll replace my "Emperor Of The Universe" model that I seem to have misplaced. That Emperor model was the best. No matter what you said, everyone had to agree with you. I'm really gonna' miss it!

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
#606865 02/16/09 05:39 PM
W
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Hi Rick,
I been tuning for about 25 years, so novice I'm not. I been using Sanderson 1 and 111 tuners since I started and yes my ears are the final test. I downloaded Tunelab and have try it on a few pianos. I was just wondering about the adjustable tuning curve. Using the Sanderson I don't have to adjust anything after I take my FAC readings so I was wondering the purpose the adjustable tuning curve in Tunelab.

How much are the flame suits in Canadian dollars?

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
#606866 02/16/09 06:11 PM
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I use 6/3 bass and 4/2 treble octaves with auto adjust. After measuring, the curves screen appears. Tap the octave adjust buttons to auto adjust the curves. I wish TuneLab had a double octave beat adjustment like the SAT's but I hear that's patented to SAT.

With experience, you will know if you got a good measurement sample, and it's always good to take 2 or 3 samples from each note and combine them. Like the SAT, volume of the note sampled makes a difference in the sample.

#606867 02/16/09 07:56 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
The double octave beat (correct me if I'm wrong) is just a button that expands the center octave by 1/2 cent. You will hear the beat in the double octave before you can hear it in the single octave.

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
#606868 02/16/09 08:18 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When you tap on the four "auto" buttons, hold your stylus on the button for a second until the green arrow appears, that way you know it's accepted the command. (Sometimes if you just tap lightly nothing happens.)

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
#606869 02/16/09 10:04 PM
The double octave beat (correct me if I'm wrong) is just a button that expands the center octave by 1/2 cent.
SAT III's Double Octave Beat Adjustment expands or contracts the FAC tuning's A2-A4 double octave by tenth of a cent increments, anywhere within the range of +2 bps to -2 bps. But changes to the A2-A4 double octave are also applied to the rest of the tuning, with the effect being more drastic as you go up or down the scale from A2-A4.

DOBA can either be used before tuning, to alter the entire FAC tuning, or it can be quickly applied during a tuning, to match aurally-demanded changes on the fly.

I've personally used it quite a bit through the tenor and treble sections, sometimes adding and subtracting stretch a number of times as I work up the scale. I haven't found it to be as useful in the bass. When using SAT III and tuning this way, with all the usual aural checks as I go, I'll tune through the tenor and treble first. Then I'll zero DOBA out again and tune down through the bass, switching to aural only or direct interval ETD tuning when needed.

DOBA is patented. In terms of quickly adjusting stretch on the fly, it definitely beats having to go back into software programming and work by trial and error.

Last year I asked Dr. Sanderson if DOBA would also work on saved aural tunings, and he said yes.

Note: I referred to SAT III because that's what I have. The new SAT IV has DOBA also. Sometime back I commented that I thought SAT IV probably uses the same processor as SAT III. Apparently that isn't true.

Jeff

Jeff A. Smith
Registered Piano Technician
Indiana, USA
#606870 02/16/09 11:28 PM
Sorry, Wayne, I owe you an apology here… I didn’t notice that you were a seasoned piano tech. So, I stand corrected; you are certainly not a novice. However, I am somewhat of a novice compared to most on this forum. I thought I was being helpful and I honestly thought these guys were funning with you a little. I thought they only did that with us DIY tuners. laugh

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
#606871 02/17/09 06:47 AM
W
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by Rickster:
Sorry, Wayne, I owe you an apology here… I didn’t notice that you were a seasoned piano tech. So, I stand corrected; you are certainly not a novice. However, I am somewhat of a novice compared to most on this forum. I thought I was being helpful and I honestly thought these guys were funning with you a little. I thought they only did that with us DIY tuners. laugh

Take care,

Rick
no offense taken. I just wanted to learn more about Tunelab and sometimes it is easier to take to others. The manual can be somewhat vague on explaining things.

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
#606872 02/17/09 07:01 AM
Anne,

Thanks for that tidbit of info. I make sure I hold the buttons next time. I haven't up to this point so I'm pretty sure nothing registered.

Thanks

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission