2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#608272 08/30/08 05:26 PM
mitech Offline OP
OP Offline
I have the chance to get a Vose' and Son Grand piano for free . The owner is moving out of state and must rid herself of many things, the piano being one of them.
I inspected the piano this morning and to my surprise found this to be in quite good condition.

I would like to hear some opinions from fellow techs on this board.
Here's what I know...

It is a Vose' and Sons Grand piano serial number 104799.
The keytops show a few chipped here and there and 2 completely missing. Side to side movement of keys is nominal.
B7 and C8 hammer heads are worn down to the wood. The remainder of the hammer heads are
fair. The dampers all look to be seating well and with the handful of random checks I made as to there working order, my assessment was OK.
The pedals all operate as required and are silent.
The soundboard showed no visible signs of cracks and the ribs were securely attached. The bridges showed no cracks or splitting.
Action removal and replacement showed no issues.
Keys actually looked in very good shape.
The strings looked as though they were just old. No discernable amounts of rust.
The pins looked "their age" but not rusty. From what I could see of the pin block there was no cracking.
The random checks of the pins gave me readings from 63-82 in/pounds torque. (69 degrees and 58% humidity)

Cosmetically, the piano looked fair. Nothing to write home about.
The lid hinges were a bit loose upon my arrival.

My assessment of the pioano was that of "It would be a good piano for me to "practice my tech skills and hopefully end up with a decent grand in the process".

I know very little of vose and sons. I have tuned a few but they were consoles. They seemed like a quality piano but I do not have a big history of them.
I do not know the model number (or if there even is one) for this piano.

All I know for certain are my inspection findings and that the price is right...

All comments welcome...

Thank you!

Mark

PTG Associate Member
#608273 08/30/08 07:01 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If you want to practice doing large-scale repairs on a grand, Vose pianos were good enough that they will yield good results if you do good work. You might be able to sell it for enough to make it worthwhile afterwards, again, if you do good work.

Semipro Tech
mitech #1167925 03/24/09 01:11 PM
W
W
I purchased a Vose grand last year and have been pondering what repairs to start with. It is a 6'5 (concert?) grand, and the serial number is 98970 (possibly made in the 1930s?)

I had two ivory keytops that were very chipped so I replaced them with new ivory tops. Side to side movement of keys is nominal.

The dampers all look to be seating well. The pedals all operate as required and are silent. The soundboard has two minor cracks. The bridges showed no cracks or splitting.
Action removal and replacement showed no issues.

The strings looked as though they were old and possibly some surface rust.

Cosmetically, the piano looked fair with some minor scratches and one corner has been chipped away. I purchased some piano surface wax matched to the piano's color but it is proving to be more work than I expected.

One of the lid hinges needs to be replaced.

Any recommendation on where to find the best stain and coating materials? - some surfaces need some work on this piano. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Wells #1168225 03/24/09 08:38 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
One nice thing about the Vose & Son's pianos were that their tuning pins were slightly tapered. If loose tuning pins are encountered, we can tap them in and solving this problem. Of course, properly supporting the pin block is in order to avoid cracking the plate...

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission