2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a piano tuner in the Madison, Wisconsin area.

My parents have a Yamaha U1 from the early 80's. It was tuned and maintained regularly until the late 90's, which was when I left home for college. It hasn't been tuned since about 1998.

The piano has not been moved since that time, and my parents' home is air conditioned, basically always kept around the same temperature (70 or so).

I've heard that after a long time without tuning pianos need a "pitch raising" before the actual tuning can take place, but strangely, the piano isn't too badly detuned, so I'm not sure if it needs it. I've heard much, much worse. It seemed to go out of tune gradually over 3-4 years after I left home, and hasn't really gotten worse since then, that I can hear.

The piano itself is beautiful and is still in perfect condition as far as I can tell (apart from the tuning); the action is as good as ever and the pedals function properly. Can someone give me a rough guess as to how much it would cost to tune it, assuming that's all it needs?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
KINGSBURY, RICHARD A. RPT

Address: DELAFIELD, WI 53018 USA
Chapter: Milwaukee, WI
Phone: 262-646-7421
Services Offered: Tuning, Action Regulation, Touchweight analysis and correction, Estimates/Appraisals
----------------------------------
BREMMER, WILLIAM E. RPT

Address: MADISON, WI 53705-3553 USA
Chapter: Madison, WI
Phone: 608-238-8400
Email: Billbrpt@charter.net
Web: www.Billbremmer.com
Services Offered: Tuning, Action Regulation, Estimates/Appraisals
-------------------------------
One of these two should be able to service your piano needs just fine. They are both excellent techs. I've known Richard for years. His dad was also friends with my dad many, many years ago when they were both still living.

The piano may not be to badly "detuned" as you say" but, more than likely, it is to a piano technician smile . You're right about the likelihood of a pitch raise.

Without seeing the piano we can only venture a guess and prices vary from region to region. Call one of these two and ask their opinion.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
E
E
As Jerry Groot said, Bill Bremmer is a great guy and a great tech. Give him a call.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Bill Bremmer is my first choice. If he cannot take a new client, call Farley's House of Pianos. (271-2626) They will give you a good recommendation. If you haven't been there, it is worth a stop. They are out by WestTowne Mall.

Jerry - I doubt that Rich travels to Madison, but, I could be wrong. It is a 1-1/2 hour drive and there is plenty of work in Milwaukee.

Marty in Minnesota
S
OP Offline
S
I contacted Bill Bremmer...sounds like the guy to go with. He actually said pitch raises are relatively rare for him; most pianos he can tune with his standard two-pass process, if not he'll do a third pass for just a few $ more. But he said the piano would have to be close to a half-step flat for two passes to not be enough, and mine's not even close to that. Reasonable price, nice guy, and available within the next few weeks.

Thanks guys!

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission