Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#610394 - 02/13/07 09:42 AM Damper problem
John Cole Offline

Loc: Clinton, AR
Hey guys--

I'm a beginning piano tech student and was servicing a small Lowrey grand. She was concerned about the sound of the G# above middle C. I tuned the unison and noticed that when the G# was pressed the dampers for both it and the G immediately below it were raised. I tried the G and it raises by itself like it is supposed to.
I looked at the dampers and they are not rubbing each other above the wires. While the G# is pressed, you can push the G damper back down, but it feels like you are pushing it past something it is caught on below. The same problem occurs on the C 2 octaves above middle C.
How do I fix this? I'm taking Randy Potter's course (received in shipments)and have received basic regulating tools, but not yet received the shipment with the regulating training tape. I told her I would research the problem and get back to her.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#610395 - 02/13/07 10:21 AM Re: Damper problem
Brick Offline

One possibility is a misshapen piece of damper underlever felt on the back of the keystick(s) catching the neighboring damper. But in any case you are going to have to get in there for the real diagnosis. For most symptoms, there are multiple possible causes.

You will find that pianos will very often have problems that are not just the normal regulation or repair issues, but rather odd glitches and defects you won't find "in the books".

#610396 - 02/14/07 08:44 PM Re: Damper problem
PNO2NER Offline

Loc: Traverse City, MI
Hi John: It sounds as though you might have a problem with the underlevers inside the piano. When a key is depressed, the end of the key pushes up on a small hinged lever which raises the damper. In many pianoes these underlevers have small round lead weights pressed into them to enable the damper to return to the string quickly after that key is played. These lead weights can come loose and rub against their neighboring underlever causing it to also lift. As you describe, it feels like a mechanical binding. To fix, mark the dampers in question, remove the action from the piano and look inside the piano with a flashlight to diagnose the interference problem. Let us know what you find. Pno2ner

#610397 - 02/14/07 08:58 PM Re: Damper problem
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Or it could be a loose center pin binding.

But most likely the underlever on the G is not lined up properly with the key. If the soft pedal shifts the keyboard to the right, it should not happen when you press the key slightly. (If it shifts to the left, which is not common, the problem should be worse.) You can sometimes fix that by loosening the screw that holds the underlever and repositioning it.

#610398 - 02/22/07 08:46 AM Re: Damper problem
John Cole Offline

I know another option might be that one of the lead weights in G#4 has come loose and is catching on G4. If that is the case, how do you get it back in place? Can I just take something and push it back in place? Will I need a pair of pliers to squeeze it back into the damper underlever? Do I need a different special tool?

#610399 - 02/22/07 09:10 AM Re: Damper problem
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
Wait till you get the action out, then find the tool that works. It's good to have old/odd pliers and screwdrivers and vise grip around. Then a couple of good files and a hammer and make what you need. Usually you have to anyway.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#610400 - 02/22/07 04:51 PM Re: Damper problem
thepianodoctor Offline

Loc: Northern Ireland
Hello John.
Im pretty new to the piano tech game myself - only been in it a couple of years. Grand dampers are the work of Satan \:D they're horrible to work at. I had a similar situation a while back and it turned out to be the keyback felt that had become ragged and shifted, thus rubbing the neighbouring damper lever. Have a look at that first(or perhaps just a mis-aligned key?), and hope that that IS the problem...then work onto the dampers........AND GO WHERE ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD!!!! \:D

Best Regards

Mark

#610401 - 03/05/07 09:16 AM Re: Damper problem
John Cole Offline

Hey guys--

This process has been slow, I know, but tuning is not my full time job (at least not yet). I had the client do the test where you press the una corda pedal. She called me back this morning and said that she did the test and on both keys it made the problem "go away." So I guess the problem is with the keys (maybe that cushion on the back end) or some foreign object that is in there instead of with the damper underlever system. Am I right?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, *windowlicker*, 46 invisible), 1706 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75887 Members
42 Forums
156813 Topics
2304149 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e
by bhmpower
8 minutes 40 seconds ago
Is this normal?: Technician left many bridle straps ripped
by pianoboy22
Today at 03:18 PM
Practicing Jumps and Speed
by Xari
Today at 03:11 PM
Too ashamed of lack of progress to go back for lessons
by Saranoya
Today at 02:38 PM
Drinking and drug addiction is rife in the classical...
by pianoloverus
Today at 01:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission