Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#610622 - 01/16/09 03:17 PM Cold in the church!
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
Many churches reduce the temp. during the week to save on energy costs.... this one was the coldest yet!

54 degrees F. and 14% humidity in the back for the Steinway upright, 58 degrees and 15% humidity in the front for the Conover grand.

Good thing I had my long-johns on!

Ron Koval

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#610623 - 01/16/09 04:55 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Jeff A. Smith, RPT Offline

Loc: Angola, Indiana USA
Once I became violently ill after tuning in a cold church. After that, I don't put up with it. Maybe now and then I'll tolerate 60 degrees, with warm clothing, but only if it's too much hassle to get the heat on. Usually I appeal to whoever's in charge, saying the piano should be tuned as close as possible to the temperature it'll be used at, explaining why.

Jeff

#610624 - 01/16/09 04:56 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Sometimes, sitting in the cold, I consider bringing along a little space heater to blow warm in my direction the next time...

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#610625 - 01/16/09 05:00 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Jeff A. Smith, RPT Offline

Loc: Angola, Indiana USA
I've done that, or had one provided for me, but if you do it wrong the space heater will knock the tuning right out as you're working. Frustrating.

Jeff

#610626 - 01/16/09 05:27 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I have churches as low as 50 degree's. One time it was 48. Today was 60. Yes, back to work again finally!

I've been telling them to make it at least 60 in there. Even that is cold!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#610627 - 01/16/09 05:52 PM Re: Cold in the church!
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
silk long underwear

try Sierra trading post

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#610628 - 01/16/09 05:53 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
Frozen my keester in many a church. Done tunings in hat, coat and gloves. All in a days work.

#610629 - 01/16/09 06:03 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Wayne Gregory Offline

Loc: Angier,NC
Several years back, I went into a large church in Raleigh, NC to tune a sanctuary grand. After a few minutes in a very brisk environment, I noticed an extremely cold breeze blowing across the piano. I pulled my coat together and kept working. It got colder and colder.
Finally, I went to the secretary in another building and asked if she could turn on a little heat.
She replied, "The computer-controlled system is broken and stuck on A/C. I have no control over it!"
With my usual tuning fee + a nice shiver factor fee, they won't forget me---and I surely won't FORGET THEM.
Wayne Gregory, Angier,NC

#610630 - 01/16/09 06:31 PM Re: Cold in the church!
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
One handy suggestion is to try to schedule a piano tuning immediately following the organ tuning (assuming it is a pipe organ \:\) ).

If the sanctuary is not within a few degrees of Sunday morning temperature when the organ tuners arrive, they will leave (and will likely bill for the trip). It doesn't take long for churches to learn that the heat MUST be on!

Since it takes organ chambers so long to come up to temperature, the heat needs to be on for about three hours prior to an organ tuning; by the time the organ tuners leave it should be at a very comfortable temperature throughout the sanctuary.

The only drawback is if the organ tuning takes all day, you'll be there rather late.

#610631 - 01/16/09 07:32 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The last time the NAMM show was in Chicago, it was 10 below zero. It was so cold in there we were tuning with coats gloves and hats on. They had the dock doors open to unload trucks and the wind blew right in. That show is probably why a winter Namm show has never been to Chicago since.

#610632 - 01/16/09 10:49 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
I have always thought you had to tune a piano at the temperature it is played at. Just like using your tuning fork.

So as the church warms up, how flat does it go on the longer strings as compared to the shorter ones? How flat does a piano go with a 15* temperature change?

I won't tune the piano unless they do the routine they use on Sunday morning and then I add 2 degrees to the thermostat for the body heat factor. That's the only way it can be played with the organ.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#610633 - 01/17/09 02:03 AM Re: Cold in the church!
Dale Fox Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nor California Sacramento area
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bob:
The last time the NAMM show was in Chicago, it was 10 below zero. It was so cold in there we were tuning with coats gloves and hats on. They had the dock doors open to unload trucks and the wind blew right in. That show is probably why a winter Namm show has never been to Chicago since. [/b]
I believe it had more to do with complaints from the exhibitors about union strong-arm tactics than the weather. It got very expensive having to have a union member unplug the lights and move the furniture around. But it was cold. Brrrrr...

#610634 - 01/17/09 06:34 AM Re: Cold in the church!
David Jenson Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
All in a day's work. Church music folks give a lot of references, so I try to "Git er Done".
-----

#610635 - 01/17/09 06:41 AM Re: Cold in the church!
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Amen to that, brother! \:\)

#610636 - 01/17/09 10:32 AM Re: Cold in the church!
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
I left a note with the music contact that it may be better to tune after chuch when the building is warm if they are going to let the temperature drop that much during the week. It had never been that cold before... He knows and understands, we just deal with it the best we can.

Ron Koval

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

#610637 - 01/17/09 11:05 AM Re: Cold in the church!
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Cold churches are the only place I am comfortable all year! I wear a short sleeve shirt with no undershirt all year long because most people have their homes heated too much for me while I work. I wear shorts and sandals in warm weather.

I have one of those coats that is actually one coat inside another. If it is cold in the church when I get there, I leave the inner coat on while I open up the piano, insert the mutes, etc. but after a few minutes tuning, I have to remove it. My tuning habits might be described as "high powered". I keep moving, full steam ahead and it generates a lot of body heat.

#610638 - 01/17/09 11:17 AM Re: Cold in the church!
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Most churches cannot afford to heat that large sanctuary 7 days a week. The extra cost would easily contribute thousands to their annual heating bill. It's cheaper to tune the piano an extra 3 times or so by a long shot and good for us too.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#610639 - 01/17/09 07:17 PM Re: Cold in the church!
bellspiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
This afternoon I tuned a new Chinese grand in a cold auditorium (54-58 F, yes, it rose slightly during the tuning) for a concert this evening. The impresario refused to turn on the heat on the grounds that it would be very expensive to do so. The concert is starting in 15 minutes -- I think the piano will be more in tune than it would have been if I hadn't been there, but I'm not sure. Uncomfortable situation in many ways.

#610640 - 01/17/09 07:42 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I found that unheated churches had higher ambient humidity, so the piano didn't drop in pitch as much in the winter. I kept my workshop at about 55 degrees in winter unless I was working in it. That kept the ambient humidity at about 25%

#610641 - 01/17/09 09:25 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
Hey Dorrie. I think I would like to hear for myself what it sounds like. In your instance where you are tuning for a one time only thing, You give it your best shot to make an improvement. In a Church, you are tuning for the whole year. It is worth the extra expense and a little extra time.

If you have a chance to hear what it sounds like, the guesses you make would get better.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#610642 - 01/17/09 11:02 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
Bob that is THE secret why church pianos stay at all in the winter. Low temp, higher humidity. Tough working conditions sometimes but it work out.

Bill I too wear short sleeve year round. Can't work in long sleeves. Also as soon as the outside temps get anywhere near 60 it's shorts till the snow flies again.

#610643 - 01/18/09 02:13 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
I tune all of the pianos at the Frank Lloyd Wright estate near here. They all leave in October and go to Arizona. The buildings aren't heated during the winter, so the pianos go as cold as the buildings get which is below 0ºF. However, when I return in June to tune them, they are always right at A-440.

One grey market Yamaha they have in a chapel always gets all stuck with verdigris. I found that cutting the Protech 50-50 with pure acetone really cuts the muck and makes the piano play well all season.

#610644 - 01/18/09 04:07 PM Re: Cold in the church!
bellspiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Keith --
Thanks for your comments. I hope to hear more from the pianist, who hired me herself (she's a longtime customer) after vainly trying to get the theater to tune the piano. During the tuning, I kept thinking, would the strings render better if the hall were twenty degrees warmer? It was one of those little Chinese grands with a sudden string rise to get from the agraffe to the pins, not to mention a tight block. Bringing strings up to pitch was hard, lowering pitch from above was hopeless. I can't imagine that string flexibility is that dependent on temperature, but I did wonder.

#610645 - 01/19/09 07:56 AM Re: Cold in the church!
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

When you think about it, if a building in not heated, the temperature changes more and the humidity less. I think the swings in humidity do more damage than the swings in temperature. As far as changing the tuning, I suppose that depends on how "hydroscopic" the sound board is.

#610646 - 01/19/09 09:18 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Mocheol Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
UnrightTooner.
I think you may mean hygroscopic.

Im not aware of any measuring device to assess how "hygroscopic" a soundboard is.

[moisture meters only measure moisture content they dont asess the hygroscopic nature of the material itself]

I think the only way that the hygroscopic nature of soundboard could be assessed would be in relation to notional external prevailing air conditions plus some idea of timber density and species.
Even then its accuracy would be questionable given the non-homogenic nature of timber.

If you know of some device or methods for assessing the hygroscopic qualities of timber I would be extremely interested to know.

Thank you

#610647 - 01/19/09 10:31 PM Re: Cold in the church!
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mocheol:
UnrightTooner.
If you know of some device or methods for assessing the hygroscopic qualities of timber I would be extremely interested to know.

Thank you [/b]
I don't even know the definition of hydroscopic.

But measuring the moisture content of wood is dead simple. You just touch it with a moisture meter, it measures the electrical conductivity and gives you a read out in percentage moisture. We used them all the time when I worked for the paper industry.

#610648 - 01/20/09 07:39 AM Re: Cold in the church!
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Yes, I meant hygroscopic. I have forgotten how many times I have corrected other Deck Officers on this. \:o

Just measuring the moisture content will not tell you how much moisture a material may absorb. Or how much a soundboard's crown, and therefore the piano’s pitch, will change.

#610649 - 01/20/09 03:24 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Mocheol Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
In the absence then of precision instrumentation to assess soundboard or other piano timbers does the whole thing then not boil down to a question of individual judgement based on experience and perhaps some moisture readings.?

#610650 - 01/20/09 05:39 PM Re: Cold in the church!
Josef Offline

Every year the Sunday of or before Christmas I get up at three thirty in the morning and visit several churchs to do Harpsichords that are loaned or rented for cantatas or Handel's Massiah. The only way to survive is to demand the church turn on the heat over night and a fresh tuning in the wee hours of the morning. Never had a complaint about a harpsichord not staying in tune for the full show.

#610651 - 01/21/09 06:42 PM Re: Cold in the church!
bellspiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good news to report -- the pianist for the concert on Jan. 17 that I wrote about above called to say that the piano was most satisfactory and the concert went very well. I am relieved. Thanks for the support I got here.

(I think that my phone messages to the pianist before and after the tuning, so that she would know I had arrived and then know that the piano had been tuned, didn't hurt. A less anxious customer is a happier customer.)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
Who's Online
113 registered (ando, anamnesis, 36251, anotherscott, angga888, 32 invisible), 1347 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327498 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission