2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
I posted this originally in the Piano Forum, but this might be a better place.

I've read a number of posts, here and elsewhere, about the benefits of Ronsen wurzenfelt hammers, and that they have gained favor among rebuilders.

Does anyone know where I can actually hear these hammers installed in a piano, vintage or otherwise? Preferably a large, 7 to 9 foot instrument. Somewhere in the NYC area.

I am very curious as to what the buzz is all about. If I like them, I may consider switching out the hammers in my Mason CC for them.

Thanks!

Joe Kubera

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Joe,

I am curious, what type of hammers do you have in your CC now?

Larry

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
Hi, Larry.

The previous owner had the piano rebuilt in 1985, and Steinway hammers were installed at that time. After I bought it, I had the action brought up to snuff (2001) by Peter Mohr's shop in NH, and kept the hammers because they had hardly been used...indeed, they were so soft that they were dull sounding, and Mohr must have lacquered them up to what is standard.

The tone is great, but the piano always seems loud, particularly now that the hammers have compressed (needs voicing). Maybe that's what I get for buying a 9' instrument, but I'd like it to be mellower. Some of this is due to the hard surfaces in my room, I'm sure...I could use some damping materials. But it's not a tiny room...it's a generous living room that opens onto a foyer.

I am intrigued by the notion that maybe the sound profile might be different with wurzens. If I understand correctly, they might be closer to the kind of hammer originally used in pianos of that vintage (1928).

I have also wondered if the S&S hammers could be brought down considerably...but my tech doesn't want to do this, saying the piano "wants" to sound a certain way. So perhaps there are really a couple of ways I could go.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'd recommend calling Marc Wienert right there at MSM. (Perri and the Grand Obsession Marc)

Marc has a way with hammers like no one I have ever seen.

I can get you his number if you like?

Marc will know what the possibilities are. Judging by your comments, you would enjoy his work. Might be a good investment to have him over for an evaluation before spending major money.

Larry

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Joe,
The offer still stands to have you over to play my CC2 with the Abel Select Series hammers I switched to from the Renner Blues the rebuilder originally had put on there. I think you'd enjoy them. Also, I have been in constant communication with David Stanwood, and he is a real proponent of the Ronson Wurzenfelt hammers. He might be able to point us to a piano down here with them installed.

Piano Technician/Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had dinner with David Stanwood Tuesday evening. That would be a good contact.

Regardless of what hammer you choose to work with, good voicing skills are essential. Ronsen Wurtzen will require voicing as well. There is no guarantee that the Wurtzen Hammers you might hear would be well voiced.

A comprehensive evaluation of your current hammers should be a priority.

I'll dig up Marc Wienert's # and PM it to you. You will get his secretary JoAnne if you call. She is wonderful and can set it up if you choose that direction.

Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks, Larry and CC2!

CC2, no, I haven't forgotten about your piano but I did forget what hammers you had on it. I am looking forward to hearing it rather sooner than later!

Larry, it happsns that I met Marc in NYC when Perri had her Pianothon, and subsequently he did call me back and suggest I set up an appointment with Joanne. However, I have since made a couple of calls to Joanne (just got the machine) and have not heard back. I would like to hope that that's just because Marc's extremely busy and that I will hear back soon.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just spoke to Marc, Can you PM me your number, I'll get it to Marc and he'll call you.

Joanne has been on vacation. Marc sends his apologies.

Larry

Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by CC2 and Chopin lover:
I have been in constant communication with David Stanwood, and he is a real proponent of the Ronson Wurzenfelt hammers. He might be able to point us to a piano down here with them installed.
Thanks, CC2, I meant to comment on this...yes indeed, I'd be delighted if he could direct us to any such pianos in our area.

Thanks to Larry (and earlier Pique') I now have an appointment with Marc for at least an evaluation. But I am still very interested in hearing these wurzen's.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Joe,
I'll call or e-mail David and see what he comes up with. I'd also reserve your judgement on doing anything until you get a chance to come over and play mine. I've had to do minimal voicing on these Abel Select Series since I've installed them, and, while giving plenty of volume, they do not have the harsh initial attack of the Renners.

Piano Technician/Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I take care of a M&H CC for a local school system (lucky kids), and it's a BIG piano! Almost any hammers you put in it, if they have any sparkle at all are going to be pretty loud. That's kinda' what these pianos were designed for.

Have you tried a large plush rug under the piano?

David

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
You have hammers which have been juiced up. Those Steinway hammers are fairly soft in their natural state. What I would think about doing is washing the lacquer out of the hammer. At least away from the strike point. Basically, it's a matter of dripping lacquer thinner on the hammer until the lacquer melts away. Yes, it can be messy, so you have to take appropriate precautions. You need some ventilation. If you are thinking of changing hammers anyways, it's worth a try. I have seen this done successfully.

I do think that the Abel Select hammers are a nice choice. Having worked on CC2's piano, I think they match up well to that piano. I just tuned a Baldwin L yesterday on which I installed a set of Abel Selects a couple years ago. They are good hammers.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another possibility is to check out Ari Isaac's Gold Point Hammers....I am going to be switching to those very soon. The Able "Encore" hammers I have on my 1925 M&Hamlin RBB are not quite right for this 7ft grand....too loud.

Ari has some great musical samples on his new website that can give you some idea of how these hammers sound. I already have his bass strings, and they are great.

www.isaacpiano.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission