Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#613070 - 10/05/02 07:22 AM Jorgensen EBVT Analysis now on Website
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
To all interested,

Recently, I asked Professor Owen Jorgensen RPT to analyze and confirm the temperament idea I have had for the modern piano now for a good 10 years. He graciously did so. His hand written documents can be viewed on my website. Just scroll down the index page and click on the link, "Mathematical Analysis of the EBVT by Professor Owen Jorgensen, RPT".

I have always tuned this idea aurally but often stored my results as a custom program in my Sanderson Accu-Tuner. Many interested people, however wanted to know the so-called "Correction Figures" which are a set of deviations applied to an Electronic Tuning Program. These proved very difficult to determine because there had never been a firm, theoretical model established. Professor Jorgensen helped me to find it.

Now, the Equal Beating Victorian Temperament can be accurately tuned by anyone with an Electronic Tuning Device (ETD) which provides a stretch program for Inharmonicity compensation. The only difference remaining between that and the way I actually tune the piano will be in the way I manipulate the octaves but a study of my method called "Tempered Octaves" will show how to make this small adjustment if desired.

The official Correction Figures are transcribed here:

C +3.8
C# -0.8
D +0.9
D# +3.1
E -2.0
F +1.8
F# -2.7
G +3.1
G# +1.2
A 0.0
A# +2.4
B 0.0

All comments are welcome.

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#613071 - 10/06/02 06:28 PM Re: Jorgensen EBVT Analysis now on Website
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sherman Oaks, Calif.
Bill--

I just programmed my verituner based on these values you have. This makes use of the "Custom Temperament" feature in the machine.

Now if I've done it correctly, the G-B fifth in the temperament octave(F-F that is)has about one beat per second and the A-E fifth has about two beats a second.

Third wise, the F-A# and the G#-C were beating around ten beats a second with the adjacent intervals(the F-A and the G-B alot slower).

Have I done it right then?

Mark@pianosource.com

#613072 - 10/06/02 06:57 PM Re: Jorgensen EBVT Analysis now on Website
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sherman Oaks, Calif.
Apparently my beat rates are a little off based on what I saw on your website. The G-B fifth should beat the same as the A-E and mine isn't. Also the C-E third is beating slower than the other thirds(F-A and G-E). Maybe it has to do with the Verituner's inharmonicity values which I don't think are exactly the same as the Accutuner.
this was evidenced by the fact that after I acquired the Verituner and tuned my own piano with it, I noticed slight differences between it and the Accutuner which I also had at the time.

Mark

#613073 - 10/06/02 11:49 PM Re: Jorgensen EBVT Analysis now on Website
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reblder:
Bill--

I just programmed my verituner based on these values you have. This makes use of the "Custom Temperament" feature in the machine.

Now if I've done it correctly, the G-B fifth in the temperament octave(F-F that is)has about one beat per second and the A-E fifth has about two beats a second.

Third wise, the F-A# and the G#-C were beating around ten beats a second with the adjacent intervals(the F-A and the G-B alot slower).

Have I done it right then?

Mark@pianosource.com[/b]
Yes, apparently. Thanks for trying this. Please let us all know what your and your customer's reactions are. It's OK to say something negative. I have a pretty thick skin about it. See my next answer.

#613074 - 10/07/02 12:16 AM Re: Jorgensen EBVT Analysis now on Website
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reblder:
Apparently my beat rates are a little off based on what I saw on your website. The G-B fifth should beat the same as the A-E and mine isn't. Also the C-E third is beating slower than the other thirds(F-A and G-E). Maybe it has to do with the Verituner's inharmonicity values which I don't think are exactly the same as the Accutuner.
this was evidenced by the fact that after I acquired the Verituner and tuned my own piano with it, I noticed slight differences between it and the Accutuner which I also had at the time.

Mark[/b]
This has been the subject of a lot of heated debate. It took a really long time to establish the theoretical model. But just compare what your ETD (whether Verituner, AccuTuner or any other) does with Equal Temperament (ET). On really good pianos, things come out fairly well but on poorly or irregularly scaled pianos, they may not. But if you know what it's supposed to sound like theoretically, you can make an educated adjustment rather than a wild guess.

One point that another very fine tech pointed out which I have to put into my instructions and description is that if the G3-B3 3rd and G3-E4 6th beat *exactly the same* (6 beats per second), the B3-E4 4th will be pure because G3, B3 and E4 all have the same coincident partial. If the 4th beats, the intervals are not beating exactly the same. No two ways about it.

The speeds of the tempered 5ths can vary a little but none should beat very strongly. All should remain within the range that aural tuners get them by default when trying to tune ET.

I recommend learning what each interval should sound like by studying the aural instructions. If you are not familiar with what a Well Tempered Tuning is as opposed to ET, then that information is on my website.

The EBVT is meant to substitute for ET. It is meant to make the piano sound a little crisper, clearer, have a more pleasing resonance and provide a very slight but distinct difference for each Major and minor key. Although there may be some harmony that sounds a little intense to some people, in general, people will not be aware that the piano is tuned differently unless you tell them.

Sometimes, just telling people this will make them resistant. So, be careful who you lay this upon. I usually don't talk about it, I just do it and have for 10 years but I have made that personal choice and am not saying that I recommend any and everyone do that.

I would like to see the day come when concerts and recordings are routinely made in the more advanced ways of tuning which have become known and increasingly popular in recent years. The Internet is a great way for this kind of information, discussion and debate to take place.

Please don't be shy about your opinions.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (Almaviva, 36251, acortot, Anne'sson, 44 invisible), 1506 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153542 Topics
2250188 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
04/18/14 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
04/18/14 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:06 AM
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission