Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#613373 - 10/23/08 07:00 PM check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
james c Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Background:

A couple of years ago I had new action parts and hammers installed in my 1968 Steinway B.

Problems:

One problem is the una corda pedal would not return the action fully to the left when released- except during summer months.

Pressing on the keyframe I could note the action moved to the left and also slightly away from me as it returned fully to the left.

Another problem (I dont know if it is related): During the winter months when the house is colder, the key frame is sometimes not well bedded to the keybed (knocking in the bass and treble)

Neither of these problems existed prior to the action work.

My technician did not want to make any adjustments to the piano; he has been consistent in recommending a humidity regulation system during the last two years that I have repeatedly mentioned this.

I did not choose to install the humidity system and instead fixed it myself this morning.

My fix:

I removed the action and made two changes. First, I shimmed the return spring between the sring and frame with about 1.5mm of plastic stock. Second I noted a small dirty rub mark on the front of the keybed and and lightly sanded off the mark.

The action returns properly and I think the piano sounds better.

I have not determined if the key frame bedding is better. I may try to fix this by sanding the bottom of the front of the key frame.

My question:

Is this a safe fix until I resolve the conflict with my technician?

I am also interested in possible alternatives, and comments on, the humidity regulation system.

Thank you!

James

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#613374 - 10/23/08 07:19 PM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
Is this a safe fix until I resolve the conflict with my technician?

Possibly - it depends on where the excessive friction is. Bedding a Steinway key frame takes a bit of work by someone that knows what they are doing. I would not advise you to start sanding on it. The big leaf return spring usually retains its power for a very long time -it is probably not the problem, strengthing it may add to your problems.

Living in the bay area I would say that at least the dehumidifier portion of the humidity control system is a very good investment.

#613375 - 10/23/08 07:28 PM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I agree with Gene.

Sounds like the technician isn't capable of bedding the key frame and solving the problem's at hand. If he isn't willing or can't, time to move to another tech that is.

Could be something is warping too. Invest in a Dampp Chaser system to help prevent this from reoccurring but, get another person in there to solve the problem the correct way. Don't do guess work, you could, screw it up good if you sand the wrong stuff in the wrong places and create an even greater problem or expense.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#613376 - 10/23/08 07:50 PM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
james c Offline

Thank you for the reply.

That reminds me that when I examined the return spring, it was not symmetrical. That is, the leaf closest to me projected out more from the frame than the rear leaf. Is that what it should look like?

One reason why I resisted the dehumidifier is that of the many pianos I have performed on, including many fine concert instruments in different parts of the country, I can never remember seeing a dehumidifier. Not all of the concert halls were humidity controlled, and I don't recall ever encountering a piano with this una corda or key bedding problem. Are dehumidifiers a relatively new requirement?

edit- Jerry, thank you- I just want to be sure I am not being too fussy because the piano does operate properly during the season that it was originally set up and that it is reasonable for my piano to be bedded correctly throughout the year even without a dehumidifier.

I have considered adding it- it is simply I have never seen one before and I have played lots of pianos!

#613377 - 10/23/08 08:00 PM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
Dehumidifiers are not required. In fact, in a grand action - the effect on the action may be minimal depending on the installation and weather or not you keep the lid closed.
For the time that I worked at the University in Sacramento, I can say that it would have been impossible to keep 135 pianos in tune without the help of dehumidifiers, especially in the summer when the building HVAC people use the cool damp outside air to assist cooling when the delta breeze comes up in the afternoon.
Dehumidifiers help stabilize the mositure content of the wood, this improves tuning stability and there is less stress on glue joints adding to longevity of the piano. Also, the Steinway compression type soundboard may develop compression ridges - these may eventually open to cracks - stable wood moisture content can help prevent this.
I will add that as you have observed the action moving in and out as well as right to left when engaging the una chorda pedal - there is probably an issue with the cheek blocks and possibly contact with the dags in the rear of the action cavity.
There is usually symmetry with the leaf return spring.

#613378 - 10/23/08 08:09 PM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I've installed tons of them in pianos. The best pianos deserve the best care. You won't regret the purchase if it is installed correctly.

Dampp Chaser has a list of technicians they recommend who are installers. The ones with stars behind their names have installed the most units with the most experience but, that doesn't mean they are good just because of that... Some install for the money while others install for the right reasons instead. I'd ask for recommendations in this case. Maybe even talk to the people he referred you too asking if it helped their piano...

Check it out. http://www.pianolifesaver.com/english/installer.php

All of our Steinway's including our D's have a Dampp Chaser system installed in them. The concert pianos even have their own humidified room as well a Dampp Chaser system on them.

Dampp Chaser's consists of both the de-humidifier as well as the humidifier and a humidistat. Many times, we can get them up high enough where they are not visible.

Something is amiss if it works properly in one season and not in another. My guess would be key bedding or dirt or something like what you sanded off. But, it could be more.

The spring may be broken or cracked too for that matters.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#613379 - 10/23/08 09:44 PM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
It shouldn't knock in the treble or the bass. The ends of the front rail float and are held down by the cheek blocks. That is why you can't set dip on a steinway without the cheek blocks in place. At least that's what I thought.

Especially since you say the action is moving front to back also. Then the cheek block guides are not doing their job.

The spring should be plenty strong. Jerry has got it right. The spring is broken.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#613380 - 10/23/08 09:58 PM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
james c Offline

I will try to find a qualified local technician to take a look at it. Sadly, my three best local contacts all have died in the last 5 or so years so I will be starting from scratch.

Thanks again,

James

#613381 - 10/23/08 11:01 PM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Talk to Peter Sumner. He posts often here, and lives in Redwood City.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#613382 - 10/24/08 02:08 AM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Most problems with una corda pedals are at the guide pins in the cheek blocks. They are usually not difficult to fix.

Unless you live over a creek, there is very little need for humidity control around here.

#613383 - 10/24/08 05:40 AM Re: check temporary fix for una corda not returning action to left?
tds Offline

Loc: Bastrop, Texas
Typically, you either add or remove shims under the front of the cheek blocks to adjust the side to side movement of the keyframe.

When the keyframe knocks, you remove shims until it stops. When the return is sluggish, you add shims until it frees up.

I would check the bedding first and the shims second. You might also have to replace the keyframe guide pins and/or the cheek block plates because of excessive wear.

Tom Seay, Recovering Piano Technician
Bastrop, Texas

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (aesop, accordeur, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1677 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156268 Topics
2294960 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions on Roland F130R
by Laerai
3 minutes 45 seconds ago
M-Audio Oxygen 88 vs. StudioLogic Numa Compact
by snapdragon
Today at 07:02 PM
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
Today at 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
Today at 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
Today at 04:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission