2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Received this from MMR today:

Don Johnson

[Linked Image]

1949-2008

It is with a profound sense of sadness that we report the passing of our dear friend and associate, Don Johnson. Don served as editor of MUSICAL MERCHANDISE REVIEW for the past twenty five years and under his stewardship the publication developed a broad international readership. He was a quiet professional who had an intuitive gift of delivering an interview in a clear and concise manner. Over the years he gained the respect and developed friendships within the entire spectrum of the music industry.

Diagnosed with cancer some 18 months ago, he yielded no ground and faced the ultimate finality with courage, dignity and a tinge of humor. In the final stages he continued to come into the office and travelled to Musik Messe and during the last days he responded to a colleague's question of how he was going to deliver copy from home, he simply responded, "it'll work". As a patient, he tested several experimental drugs with the unexpressed hope that it would produce a brighter outlook for those who might follow.

Don was a renaissance man; there was no cable television at his home, he preferred a good book and a radio broadcast (preferably his beloved Cleveland Indians) and his favored method of office transportation was a subway ride. He was most proud of his family, wife Charlene, whom he met while both were working at our publishing company, and daughter's Hilary and Rosie. Hilary is completing her junior year at Brown University, where she has become fluent in Japanese while competing with the Ivy league school's ballroom dance team and remaining in the top tier of students academically. Rosie is a junior at the prestigious Buckingham Browne and Nichols with equally high grades while remaining active in many school sports.

A native of Chagrin Falls, Ohio, Don majored in Journalism at Ohio University where he graduated cum laude and soon thereafter followed his love of literature to the Boston area where he gained some valuable retail experience managing a local book store. His career turned to writing for a local weekly newspaper and ultimately to the Larkin Group where he became a staff writer and later editor of MUSIC RETAILER, a magazine for the record industry. When MUSICAL MERCHANDISE REVIEW was acquired in 1981 Don made a seamless transition into the music products arena. Don continued as editor when MMR and its sister publications were acquired by the Zapis Capitol Group and re-named Symphony Publishing LLC in 2004.

Don was instrumental in many of the publication's ongoing features, including the annual Dealer Choice Award, The Profile of the American Music Dealer and the 50 Dealer/50 State Economic Review and Forecast.

In keeping with Don's wishes his remains will be cremated and no formal service will be held.

A more complete retrospective of his life will be published in the June issue of MMR.

We welcome comments and recollections of Don's life from his industry friends.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Don was a very warm and happy person. A dry wit and a quick smile. He once quoted me in his "Best of,and Worse of NAMM" He seemed to see humor in most things.I will miss him. I wish his family all the best. I will pray for him.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Gees, a great guy to everyone. Man...

Kenny Blankenship
Selling anything anyone will buy as the "Walmartizisation of the industry continues. (Still making a fair living and still having clients like me)
Don was a true gentleman and friend to many industry folks. I always enjoyed visiting with him every year at the NAMM show, in addition to reading each issue of MMR from cover to cover. Don attended the National Piano Traveler's meeting every year, not just to cover the event as an industry journalist, but became a member and colleague. I am saddened to hear of his passing, partly since we are the same age. He will be missed by everyone in the music industry.

Craig Smith
General Manager
Kansas City Piano

www.kansascitypiano.com

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission