Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#615658 - 01/29/02 01:49 PM ...........making strange noises???
lawrai007 Offline

Loc: Washington, Connecticut
Hello everyone!

I have a question and I'm hoping someone will be able to understand what I'm trying to say.

I've recently noticed when playing quietly, noises coming from inside the piano; almost like something is "turning" in there. I'm wondering..........is something wearing out and needs to be replaced? Any advise would be most appreciated! Thanks........Larry

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#615659 - 01/29/02 07:29 PM Re: ...........making strange noises???
PNO2NER Offline

Loc: Traverse City, MI
Hi Larry: I'm afraid one would have to know a lot more information before hazarding a guess as to the source of the noise in your piano. Vertical or Grand? Is the noise only on certain notes? Can you give a better description of the noise? "Turning" is hard to decipher. Hi pitched or low? You may finally have to have someone at the piano with you to create the noise while you look for it. Hope this helps.....PNO2NER

#615660 - 01/29/02 08:27 PM Re: ...........making strange noises???
lawrai007 Offline

Hi PNOZNER,

Thanks for responding to my post. I have a 1979 Yamaha U3. When I first start to play, I will occasionally hear the noise, but the longer I play, the more frequent the noise becomes (for obvious reasons, I only hear this when playing pianissimo). As for the noise, I can best compare it to a "motorized sound;" it's as if "gears" are turning;something you might hear while listening to a vintage music box after you've wound it up and it starts to play! I'm not sure what sense, if any, this makes, but this is what I'm hearing. Thanks....Larry

#615661 - 01/30/02 08:22 AM Re: ...........making strange noises???
PNO2NER Offline

Hi again Larry: What a unique sound you describe! But there has to be an answer. First of all, you have a high quality piano of relatively recent manufacture, however anything is possible. Try first opening up the piano, lift the lid, remove the bottom panel, and see if the noise is still there. Sometimes noises come from the cabinet. If it is still there, pull the piano away from the wall and see if it is any louder in the back. Many noises are centered around the soundboard. I have found items dropped down the back of the instrument and resting against the soundboard resonating when certain notes are played. If these methods don't work, have someone play the piano while you poke around listening in various places. It is sometimes helpful to use a listening tube consisting of a 1" diameter flexible hose (plastic or rubber) held against your ear and used as a stethescope to pinpoint the origin of the sound. In fact, if you know a doctor or nurse, maybe one of theirs would be helpful. Auto supply stores also sell them with long probes to isolate noise sources in cars. If all else fails, you may try calling a piano technician in to help find the culprit. I suspect this will be a problem in diagnosis rather than cure. In other words, finding the problem will be more time consuming than fixing it. Let me know what you finally come up with. PNO2NER

#615662 - 01/30/02 12:36 PM Re: ...........making strange noises???
lawrai007 Offline

Hi PNO2NER,

Believe I may have located the culprit! After a little experimenting, I just realized I hear this "noise" only when I depress the loud/sustain pedal which, incidentally, is squeaking (loudly) every time it is being depressed. I'm wondering, do I get out the oil can? (The next scheduled tuning is in May--that seems to be a rather longtime to listen to two melodies(?) simultaneously). Thanks again, ....Larry

#615663 - 01/31/02 01:54 AM Re: ...........making strange noises???
Shadorunnr Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City
lawrai, try liquid graphite. If I am not mistaken, oil attracts dirt and is not good for wooden parts. Double check with a tech first, as they may not recommend liquid graphite, but I am fairly certain they do not recommend oil.

#615664 - 01/31/02 07:36 AM Re: ...........making strange noises???
PNO2NER Offline

Hi Larry: Sounds like you're on the right track. Shadorunnr is correct, oil is not the lubricant of choice. My recommendation would be a silicone or better yet, a teflon lubricant. These are compatible with wood and are available in spray cans. Use sparingly as any lube in the wrong place can create havoc inside a piano. The noise may return, but at least you will know the source and a permanent repair can be made later by a technician. PNO2NER

#615665 - 02/01/02 12:12 PM Re: ...........making strange noises???
Christopher Stubbs Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hi, a squeaking pedal is the most annoying unwanted noise a piano can make and there are so many causes. Try a couple of these observations - is the pedal rubbing on the piano? Are all screws secure? Is the bolt that connects the pedal to the rocker metal on metal or metal on wood? Are the two rockers touching? Is the vertical rod correctly positioned? Has the vertical rod worn away any felt or leather? Finally a heavy foot can cause the bottom to become pliable so that when the pedal is pressed the bottom moves and creates noises from friction with the bottom door. A good solution to the latter problem is to place a carefully selected book(s) underneath for stability. There was an instance which I shall never forget when at The Royal Festival Hall a Fazioli developed a squeaking pedal, in the interval were a miriad of stagehands squirting WD40 (an aerosol oil) to solve the problem. I do not recommend you do this even if the required felt or leather is not at hand, try using a household candle. Hope this is of help

#615666 - 02/01/02 12:44 PM Re: ...........making strange noises???
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sherman Oaks, Calif.
A squeak in a FAZIOLI!!! Now THAT is really something!

So much for the "appearance" of perfection, for the instrument I've referred to so often as the "Stradivarius" of pianos.

Mark Mandell www.pianosource.com

#615667 - 02/01/02 07:07 PM Re: ...........making strange noises???
lawrai007 Offline

Thanks PNO2NER, Shadorunnr and Christopher Stubbs for your comments! With your imput, I'm hoping to resolve, temporarily or permanently, the squeakin' pedal syndrome......................Larry

#615668 - 02/02/02 08:53 AM Re: ...........making strange noises???
T2 Offline

I had a problem with a squeaky pedal. It turned out to be that the pin that acts as the mounting point for the pedal (I don't know the technical name for it) was broken and left the sustain pedal moving at an angle other than vertical. Interestingly, one tech. couldn't find it to save his life and another tech. put his finger on it right away.

#615669 - 02/06/02 07:30 PM Re: ...........making strange noises???
lawrai007 Offline

Thanks T2 for your imput!..........I'll have a look............Larry

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Who's Online
105 registered (anamnesis, AndresD, Auver, anotherscott, 36251, 35 invisible), 1364 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325974 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission