Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#616059 - 11/10/08 05:32 PM Birdcage action...?
sadishradish Offline

Loc: /
From what I have read a piano with a birdcage action has a small soundboard and is difficult to tune because you cant get to the strings ect. However, the piano I just got is full size, the soundboard fills the whole cabinet, and the hammers/dampers/everything else comes right off and out of the piano in one piece leaving the tuning pegs and strings open and exposed.

Is this a true birdcage action? If not, are any of the problems with those pianos eliminated by the removable system/full sized soundboard?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/inego/hall009.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/inego/hall008.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/inego/33.jpg

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#616060 - 11/10/08 06:02 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
wayne walker Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Windsor,Nova Scotia Canada
I would stay away from a birdcage action no matter what size of piano it is install in. Yes the action comes out to expose the strings and tuning pins but you need the action in to tune the piano. You need the force of the key striking the hammers to set the string and tuning pin.
Wayne

#616061 - 11/10/08 06:02 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Yes, it is a birdcage action. No, the problems are there.

#616062 - 11/10/08 06:44 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Happy Birthday Peter Sumner- Piano Technician Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Not worth any energy...
I saw far too many when I lived in the UK....
Throw it away please.

#616063 - 11/10/08 10:48 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I'm not a tech, but that looks...umm... scary...

I see why poorly designed (thanks, Supply!) birdcages would be a bear to work on. I'll bet that many a birdcage has been subjected to .

\:D

#616064 - 11/10/08 11:35 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
run away! run away!

#616065 - 11/11/08 01:15 AM Re: Birdcage action...?
Dale Fox Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nor California Sacramento area
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Casey:
run away! run away! [/b]
Sam

was "Run away! Run away!" from a Monty Python flick? Holy Grail? Can't remember the source. Always love to use it in this situation. The perfect response to the birdcage upright.

#616066 - 11/11/08 10:11 AM Re: Birdcage action...?
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Actually, that is a pretty nice looking birdcage (many of you will say that is an oxymoron). A lot of the ones that I have come across don't have a cast iron frame. From the picture the parts don't look too decrepit. Despite all the negative feelings most techs have toward the birdcage design I don't think they are quite as bad as they are made out to be, especially a transitional design like that appears to be. You just have to adjust your expectations.

One of the advantages that few people talk about is that the centerpin of the hammer flange is closer to the strings since the dampers aren't in between the hammer flanges and strings. This allows the hammer to lean back at a little bit more of an angle giving it a little more gravity assist in returning.

I guess I'm just one sick individual!
www.pianova.net

#616067 - 11/11/08 01:31 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
I see why birdcages are a bear to work on. I'll bet that many a birdcage has been subjected to .
Horrorwitzian, what are you basing your assessment on, seeing that you are not a technician? I'm just curious. When I look inside a computer, it looks pretty complicated and intimidating to me. That doesn't mean that it is no good or that no one can service it....

Sadisradish, the "problems" you mention are not the issue at all. Access to tuning pins and strings is a no-brainer. There are the techs here on the list who have the experience.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#616068 - 11/11/08 04:03 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Supply:
 Quote:
I see why birdcages are a bear to work on. I'll bet that many a birdcage has been subjected to .
Horrorwitzian, what are you basing your assessment on, seeing that you are not a technician? I'm just curious. When I look inside a computer, it looks pretty complicated and intimidating to me. That doesn't mean that it is no good or that no one can service it....

Sadisradish, the "problems" you mention are not the issue at all. Access to tuning pins and strings is a no-brainer. There are the techs here on the list who have the experience. [/b]
I am not a tech, but I am interested in this sort of stuff, and someday I may want to learn the trade. So I study up. ;\) And I always read the tech forum.

"Horrorwitzian" --

I hope I'm not that much of a nuisance... \:\( :p

PS--I LOVED the "Don't you hate it when..." thread from several months ago. I followed it avidly until it died. \:D

#616069 - 11/11/08 05:14 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I simply can see that it is impossible to get to anything without disassembling all those "birdcage" parts...
Sorry, you are wrong. It is neither "impossible to get at anything" nor do you have to disassemble any parts to service these pianos, if they are in servicable condition.

Quote:
I am not a tech, but I am interested in this sort of stuff, and someday I may want to learn the trade. So I study up.
That's great. But until you have done so for a considerable period, have gained first hand experience and knowlege, it might be a good idea to refrain from expressing your essentially uninformed opinions as facts. Someone may get the wrong idea. And you could get yourself into hot water.

I am saying this with friendliness and out of respect to you and to this forum. This being the Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum, many techs here don't view this as the intended place for non-technicians to fly their diagnostic or other test ballons.

Read, listen, ask questions, and you will be treated well. Getting ahead of yourself and making too many assumptions or "me too" postings will likely get you flamed, judging by past incidents around here.

So stick around, we can all have a good time....

#616070 - 11/11/08 05:36 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Yes, we can all have a good time.....as long as we dont encounter too many bird-cage actions. I hate those things. Nope, you dont have to take the action out. What would be the purpose in doing this? You dont have to dissemble anything.
But for some reason, my mouth gets dirty when I tune one of these blasted tjomgs!!!!!

They are aggrivating...simply revolting!!!! And they always sound so awful with their pitiful, tinny sound.

#616071 - 11/11/08 05:52 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
“And they always sound so awful with their pitiful, tinny sound.”

And for this thread it is the ultimate in assessments. No matter what you do to these instruments, nor how much money you throw at them, they still have a small Victorian sound, not popular much anymore…..much like driving a Model T on the freeway. Everyone is going by you like you are standing still………..

I have several of them here actually, one in the front yard with tulips in it,……….. one in the backyard with morning glory all over it, ……….and then one waiting in the garage……
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#616072 - 11/11/08 05:56 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
Horowitzian,

Working on a wire sticker action?

You have to have the ability to string profanity into whole sentences.......need a lesson? ;\)
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#616073 - 11/11/08 05:57 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Supply:
 Quote:
I simply can see that it is impossible to get to anything without disassembling all those "birdcage" parts...
Sorry, you are wrong. It is neither "impossible to get at anything" nor do you have to disassemble any parts to service these pianos, if they are in servicable condition.

Quote:
I am not a tech, but I am interested in this sort of stuff, and someday I may want to learn the trade. So I study up.
That's great. But until you have done so for a considerable period, have gained first hand experience and knowlege, it might be a good idea to refrain from expressing your essentially uninformed opinions as facts. Someone may get the wrong idea. And you could get yourself into hot water.

I am saying this with friendliness and out of respect to you and to this forum. This being the Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum, many techs here don't view this as the intended place for non-technicians to fly their diagnostic or other test ballons.

Read, listen, ask questions, and you will be treated well. Getting ahead of yourself and making too many assumptions or "me too" postings will likely get you flamed, judging by past incidents around here.

So stick around, we can all have a good time.... [/b]
Jurgen,

Thanks for the prod. \:o I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I didn't intend to come across as an idiot, so I'll edit my post.

I sent you a PM.

I'll try to read mostly and ask only intelligent questions... \:\)

#616074 - 11/11/08 06:44 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Silverwood Pianos:
“I have several of them here actually, one in the front yard with tulips in it,……….. one in the backyard with morning glory all over it, ……….and then one waiting in the garage…… [/b]
The one on my front porch made a good display for our Jack-o-lanterns this year!
www.pianova.net

#616075 - 11/11/08 06:58 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Thomson Lawrie Offline

Loc: Grimsby ON Canada
Welcome to the Birdcage Forum. All birdcage discussion 24/7.

I don't get it. I don't think I have seen 20 of these in the last 30 years of tuning and yet, they come up here every other week. Are there a lot of these in the states? I would have thought we would have more here in Canada with the British connection and all.

Maybe we could start a square grand forum while we're at it.

#616076 - 11/11/08 08:33 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Fraggle Offline

Loc: Nottingham, U.K.
Is it really surprising that you see lots of questions if these things are so unusual?

#616077 - 11/11/08 08:35 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thompson, I feel your pain.

You and I know how to perpetuate a thread: keep on posting. So we are both to blame. The opposite is true, too - if no one posts, the thread goes away.

I don't think this forum is particularly over-damper heavy, but maybe I am missing some threads? I also don't think it is technicians initiating birdcage threads. The next time a non-tech starts on about birdcages, perhaps you can quickly point them towards the archives?

As far as squares are concerned - go for it!

#616078 - 11/11/08 09:46 PM Re: Birdcage action...?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverwood Pianos:
Horowitzian,

Working on a wire sticker action?

You have to have the ability to string profanity into whole sentences.......need a lesson? ;\) [/b]
:D I'm not, but if I ever have to, I'll PM you for the lesson...I've never needed to string profanity into sentences...except maybe once or twice when I've had a particularly bad day practicing piano! :p

And from what Ron said about overdamper pianos above, I'd guess I might want to brush up on sledgehammer technique beforehand. \:D

I just want to say while I'm at it, that I enjoy reading the tech forum very much. Right now, I am a student of piano playing who is very interested in piano technology. I gotta know how stuff works. And yes, I'd like to learn tuning regulating, and voicing someday...but rest assured, I leave my piano in the hands of an excellent tech. No DIY tuning for me until I learn how to do it right.

BTW, whoever posted the story about burning out the yellow jacket nest in the "Don't you hate it when..." thread a few months ago has my full support. I HATE yellow jackets...bumblebees...or any other kind of stinging insect.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (ASLevelMusicTheory, Atrys, accordeur, AZ_Astro, a_dee, 16 invisible), 1111 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251531 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission