Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#616820 - 06/11/08 03:17 PM Piano Technical School
Macboy Offline

Loc: Hungary/Budapest
Hi everybody !!!

I have some problem with my profession......I am 25 years old, and living in Hungary.
I can't finish my professional practice, because there are lot of rivalization problems in my country...
I can't finish the final technical exam, because My Instructor is very old, and ill....another technicians don't want to training.... because the rivalization problems in workshop to workshop is very brutal in Hungary.......

I learned tuning when I was 12 !!! Years old but only tuning, restringing, and wire winding...some woodworks and regulating..(when I was 12 -18 years old..)
I start the school 2 years ago (total restauration regulation etc)....1 year left to the final tech exam...to get docs from this profession.....

Where and How can I finish or take an exam and get docs in another country from this profession..

Please Help !!!! I would like to be a registered technician!!!!
I won't be a bungler without docs!!!

please help to solvin' my problem...

Mike

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#616821 - 06/11/08 11:36 PM Re: Piano Technical School
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
If you aren't getting a response, on my part it is because I'm not sure. I think that the PTG is primarily a North American organization. There are members in Europe, but they may be transplants...people who moved there.

In the US, exams are given at the national conventions. We just gave exams last month at the PTG home office in Kansas City, but I don't know how often that happens. Testing also occurs at regional conventions. If you are talking about RPT status, you need to contact the PTG. The PTG may not extend to your country.

#616822 - 06/12/08 08:05 AM Re: Piano Technical School
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Mike,

You can join PTG from anywhere in the world but PTG is officially only in Canada, USA and Mexico. It only has chapters, (local organizations) in Canada and Mexico. You need to see the website: www.ptg.org

The application fee is $150 and then the annual dues (you must pay every year to retain membership)are a little more than $200, depending on which Chapter you become assigned to or choose to join. When you join, you become an Associate Member. As an Associate Member, you will be able to purchase the PACE program materials which are a good guide for study.

About the only way you can take the RPT Exams is to travel to the USA or Canada to take them. There are some exams offered at East Coast Regional Seminars but you need to be sure they are offered, pay the registration fee for the seminar and the exam fees in advance. The total exam fees are presently $180 but they are likely to double next week when the PTG Council votes to make them $360.

The sum of all those expenses including an airplane trip and lodging will run into the Thousands of dollars. But if PTG RPT accreditation is your only way to show proof that you have basic professional skills, it will be one way to get them that otherwise is not available in your country. You just have to decide how much it is worth it to you.

If you come to the USA to take the exams, you will want to be very sure that you can pass them. It sounds like you could pass the tuning exam but you may need some study to pass the technical exam. There is a written exam required first. Even it may be a problem because, of course, it is in English, using American terminology (which often differs from that used in England). There is a book available from PTG which is not very expensive which has all of the specific names for piano parts and functions. It is called, "Piano Parts and Their Functions".

I have heard of training programs in Germany but that may be an even worse language barrier for you. It may also cost more than it would in North America.

I still recommend you contact PTG whether you can afford membership or not. As a person from Europe, they may allow you to purchase the PACE program materials, I am not sure. The person you should write to is Sandy Roady and her e-mail is: sandy@ptg.org I must say, however that Sandy will be very busy the next two weeks because of the PTG Annual Convention which will be in California. She does answer her e-mail promptly, however and can do it from her location at the Convention.

You may also see my website for information on Tuning. The "Articles" tab has information about Tuning intended to help those who wish to pass the PTG Tuning Exam. New information will be available soon, so keep looking there from time to time: www.billbremmer.com

Good luck in your endeavor!

#616823 - 06/12/08 08:10 AM Re: Piano Technical School
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Mike, you may also be able to arrange for taking the RPT Exams at one of the Area Exam Board locations in the Northeast USA or Ottawa, Canada by making an appointment with them. The PTG Home Office (Sandy Roady) will help you do that.

#616824 - 06/12/08 09:56 AM Re: Piano Technical School
DP71 Offline

Loc: sweden
Also, have a look at Europiano
http://www.euro-piano.org/html/
I don't know much about it, but they seem to be issuing exams. Summer 2008 exams will be held in Russia, and in 2009 in Chechia. I found that information on the swedish tuners organisation's homepage. Europiano's homepage seems to be not updated for a long time. Does anyone know what's happening there?

/DP
-beginner

#616825 - 06/12/08 09:59 AM Re: Piano Technical School
DP71 Offline

Loc: sweden
Also, have a look at Europiano
http://www.euro-piano.org/html/
I don't know much about it, but they seem to be issuing exams. Summer 2008 exams will be held in Russia, and in 2009 in Chechia. I found that information on the swedish tuners organisation's homepage. Europiano's homepage seems to be not updated for a long time. Does anyone know what's happening there?

/DP
-beginner

#616826 - 06/12/08 01:25 PM Re: Piano Technical School
Erus Offline

Loc: Mexico
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bremmer RPT:

As an Associate Member, you will be able to purchase the PACE program materials which are a good guide for study.

As a person from Europe, they may allow you to purchase the PACE program materials, I am not sure.
I bought the (5) PACE lessons and the (2) source books for the exams from the PTG online store, apparently it's not compulsory to be a member to buy them.

I don't know if there are more books or other kind of material for the PACE programme not sold to the general public...

* PACE lessons: https://www.ptg.org/store/index.php?cPath=23

* Source books: https://www.ptg.org/store/index.php?cPath=24

#616827 - 06/13/08 03:47 PM Re: Piano Technical School
Macboy Offline

Loc: Hungary/Budapest
thank's all helps!!

very useful informations....thank you

mike

#616828 - 06/24/08 03:39 AM Re: Piano Technical School
F-Xavier Offline

Loc: Paris, FRANCE
Hello Mike, hello all,
I'm from Paris, in France we have an European institute for student like you. Europe can pay for your training in Le Mans...
More informations here :
http://www.itemm.fr/site2/

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (Atrys, AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, a-z0-9, 20 invisible), 1162 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294618 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission