2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JIMBOB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Help--- I am looking for ideas to bail me out. I am tuning a Cambridge spinet which was a model made for Ivers & Pond. I did 2 pitch raises but an having fits trying to tune B2 and C2 which are wound bi-chords. Using an SAT III I can stop the lights on both notes but when played the 2 notes sound exactly alike. Would turning the windings on the strings help ?

E3 is the last wound string before the break. F3 is a plain steel trichord after the break.
The SAT III with note stepping turned on advances the note to F3 but the sound you hear is a large jump from E3. Even though all the wound strings from A0 to E3 stop the lights and sdvance correctly on the SAT they do not sound good when played and they sound awful when played with notes in the 4th and 5th octaves.
I checked the bass bridge for cracks and seperations but did not see any problem.
Would it be beneficial to twist all of the bass strings a full turn ? Any suggestions are welcome

Certificate in Piano Technology NBSSP
Associate Member PTG
Yamaha & Petrof/Nordiska Training
Dampp-Chaser System Installer
QRS/ Pianomation Service
Certified Piano Disc Technician/Installer
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Sometimes you just have to use your ears and your taste. When tuning a poor bass, there can be several beats that you hear simultaneously, and you can't tune them all out. What I aim for is that:

Octaves don't sound bad, nor do multiples of octaves, and they are recognizable as octaves.
Octaves plus fourths or fifths don't sound bad.
Thirds beat slower and slower as you go down the scale.
The same beats in adjacent notes sound similar.
The scale sounds chromatic, or at least like the pitch is increasing as you go up the scale and decreasing if you go down.

Voicing the bass notes, sometimes quite severely, can help straighten out wayward harmonics quite a bit. But you are into the "art" of piano tuning here, not just science.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good Morning JIMBOB,

The little Cambridge spinets were indeed a "work of art." I have a couple of those I tune, and though not the worst they do rank somewhere near the bottom. I would give the bass strings some twist. That probably would not hurt, but I agree with BDB that you are going to have to rely on your ears to get this area of the little beast in tune. The SATIII is probably having a hard time hearing it because of the scale of this piano, and the condition of the bass strings.

Drop me a note.

Ron

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
S
S
If C3 is tuned just set the Sat on C4, play C3 and take a reading - adjust the lights till they stop. Then tune C2 - stop lights and listen to the octave. If it needs to be stretched a bit you can use the cents button to see how much then add an offset equal to that amount and that should be close enough for bass tuning.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Check the octave spread like scutch says but also check for a 6/3 octave by setting the SAT to G4 and checking C2-C3. Remember to set the sat to tune mode so it read the fundemental instead of the calculated tuning which reads the partial. The bass should be a wide 4/2 which would be a nice 6/3.

JIMBOB, try checking the Unisons of those strings B2, C3?,with the SAT in tune mode to eliminate any false partial reading caused by a bad string.

KR

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission