Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#617601 - 04/19/04 08:40 AM Re: electronic tuners- any recommendations?
perfectpitchpiano Offline

Loc: North Wilkesboro, NC
The beats are coming easier today, for some reason. Now, my problem is controlling the tempered 3rd of F3-A3 to beat a widened 4/sec. I'm always a little off... Oh well. Back at it, I suppose. It only gets easier with practice!

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#617602 - 04/19/04 02:29 PM Re: electronic tuners- any recommendations?
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
The beauty of the 18th Century style well temperament I sent you is that you don't have to get it perfect for it to work out and work out very well. You can be a little slow or a little fast on those 3rds, you can get the pure 5ths only approximately and the equal beating intervals kinda sorta pretty even and it will still be good but if you make those kinds of errors tuning ET, it won't be ET and it won't be pretty.

Keep at it.

#617603 - 04/19/04 07:09 PM Re: electronic tuners- any recommendations?

You just made my day, Bill. That really relieves me a lot, knowing that I don't have to stress out about getting it EXACT. That's awesome. REALLY awesome. God bless the dude that invented this tempermant.

#617604 - 04/19/04 09:46 PM Re: electronic tuners- any recommendations?
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Well, thank you! Hopefully what you'll get out of this is one of the most important lessons of historical temperament study: you will know where to let your imperfections in ET be and have them work to your advantage rather than have randomly made errors work against you.

My next article for the PTG Journal was posted here but there seemed to be very little interest in it. However, for all those who really like the sound of pure 5ths in a temperament yet want to have ET like, even 3rds and 6ths but also not have them overly strained sounding, it should be an item of great interest. It is also one of the marvelous, equal beating temperaments which can easily be done with the same perfection as an ETD would provide. The other benefit is that most people think it has a "cleaner", more "in tune" sound than ET yet remains absolutely neutral in tonality the way ET does.

When you can get the hang of that 18th century style well temperament, I would recommend you study the "Marpurg" style quasi equal temperament because it is so much more easy to get it correct than real ET is. (And sounds better any way, so they say). All you'll need to do is practice getting contiguous 3rds right.

Here is what I'd suggest as an exercise:

1. Use your C fork if you have one or just estimate the pitch or leave it where it is presently and tune C4 to desired pitch.

2. Tune C3 to C4 to what simply sounds to you like a "pure" (beatless) octave. (You don't need to get fancier than that for this exercise).

3. Now tune E3, a widened 3rd from C3. I'm not going to even suggest a numerical beat rate because you will find the right rate after having made *estimates* and corrections to those estimates. Make a moderately pleasant "vibrato" like sound, that is close enough.

4. Now tune Ab(G#)3 a widened 3rd down from C4. This means you will have to flatten it from the point where it is pure. Again, tune it to a moderately pleasant vibrato. Make it be a little faster than the C3-E4 3rd.

5. Now listen to the resultant E3-G#3 3rd. If you got the first two right, the three 3rds would beat progressively faster ascending and progressively slower descending. These are the *contiguous* 3rds (meaning two 3rds sharing a common note). The ratio of beating is 4:5 (not beats per second, just a constant ratio) but all that needs to tell you is that the upper 3rd is just a *little* faster than the lower 3rd.

If any two 3rds beat the same, the relationship is incorrect. If the upper 3rd beats a *lot* faster, it is incorrect, certainly if the lower 3rd beats faster than the upper 3rd, the relationship is obviously and significantly incorrect.

6. Diagnosing and correcting your estimates:

Make an estimated correction of your largest error first. If you find a lower 3rd to be faster than an upper 3rd, flatten the middle note just until the upper 3rd now beats a little (but not a lot) faster than the lower 3rd.

Check all 3 again.

If you have two 3rds beating the same or almost the same, again, flatten the middle note just very slightly so that the upper 3rd beats just a little faster than the lower 3rd.

Check all 3 again.

If the lower two 3rds beat slower/faster but are only slightly different but the top 3rd beats *much* faster, sharpen the middle note of the upper two 3rds.

If the upper two 3rds beat slower/faster but are only slightly different but the bottom 3rd is *much* slower, sharpen the middle note of the bottom two 3rds.

Check all 3 again.

You can see how that could be an infinite process in getting it right and in the end, it is. This is the prime example of that "Rule #1". It is far easier to know when the relationship is incorrect than to know when it is perfect." The reason the octave width didn't matter in this exercise is that the same relationship can be created and maintained within *any* width of octave. Sometimes, you may want all the justifiable stretch you can have, such as for a concert grand used in a piano concerto. Most of the time, you'd want what would be considered an optimum amount but you can also manipulate *any* temperament and whole sound of a piano by deliberately creating a minimal amount of stretch or even what one would call a "contracted" octave.

But when you are able to get 3 contiguous 3rds reasonably right from C3-C4, you'll be ready to try it from F3-F4. When you can do that, you are 90% there. If you can get just 5 notes reasonably right, F3-A3-C#4-F4-A4, the rest of the notes will fall right into place and you couldn't help but pass the PTG tuning exam. You also couldn't help but create a good sounding piano that doesn't bear the consequences of the most commonly made mistakes that technicians today do make.

#617605 - 04/20/04 08:13 AM Re: electronic tuners- any recommendations?

Oh man. I completely forgot to ask these important questions. Should I be using the felt temp. strip while doing this 18th cent. temperemant? Also, what about the treble and bass sections? Am I to just stretch the treble on my own, and unisonize the bass? lol Is that a word, "unisonize"?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Abby Pianoman, accordeur, 33 invisible), 1544 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156295 Topics
2295393 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
07/30/14 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
07/30/14 09:59 PM
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
07/30/14 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
07/30/14 06:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission