2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#619600 07/25/03 05:00 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Topics seem kind of slow here in the Tuner-Technician forum. So I will ask a stupid question that I have been curious about since I joined this forum a month or so ago.

What tuning hammer, or as some prefer, tuning level do you prefer.

I use a Hale rosewood handle extension hammer that I bought from a tuner about 20 years ago. He was one of the most competent tuners around this area (so I was told) but was dying of cancer. He did pass away a few months after I purchased it from him. It has always been kind of special to me, and I cannot imagine using any other. As a back up I have a Hale non-extension but seldom pull it out of it's bag. When I do it is only to check for rust.

Since American was bought by Schaff, I am not aware of anyone that carries Hale hammers or tips.
I have a couple of extra #2 tips, so hopefully I am good for the rest of my career. Anyone know if any of the Schaff tips will fit the Hale?

Regards,
Ron

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
#619601 07/25/03 05:05 PM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Schaff still has (had) some Hale parts.
The also have/had tips and heads to fit the Hale Hammers.

They are nice people to deal with (PianoSupplies.com uses them).

- Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

#619602 07/25/03 05:29 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I have an account with Schaff, maybe I am overlooking the items in the catalog, I need to give them a call. Thanks for the info.

Ron

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
#619603 07/25/03 06:56 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't think they show them in the catalog, but the've helped me out a few times.

- Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

#619604 07/25/03 08:56 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have one very short but extendable lever . I think it came from Schaff. The shortest they had I believe. I use this at the shortest setting for any piano with a nice tuning pin feel. It has the greatest precision.

If the feel isn't so nice I may extend it to be more like a standard length lever. If it's really a super tight pin, I get out "Iron Mike" which is a long heavy one-piece lever, non extendable, made of all steel including the handle. Then I beat the cr*p out of the piano with it until it's lying in splinters on the floor.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
#619605 07/26/03 08:33 AM
E
E
Originally posted by Rick Clark:
If it's really a super tight pin, I get out "Iron Mike" which is a long heavy one-piece lever, non extendable, made of all steel including the handle. Then I beat the cr*p out of the piano with it until it's lying in splinters on the floor.
Sounds more durable than my Schaff sledge hammer with combination handle.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
#619606 07/26/03 01:29 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I have both a Hale extendable and a one piece generic. The generic is much better as far as pin fitment. Hale had a problem with their heads for a while, i was told, and I definitely got a bad one. I now have a Schaff tip and it also wobbles. It makes me wonder if there ever was a standard as to the taper of the tuning heads. I have various no. 2's all having their own feel.

...not happy about it.

Amateur At Large
#619607 07/26/03 09:01 PM
I have been using a Jahn lever for the past year. It is the most stable lever I have found. One nice thing about it is that the tip is not screwed on the end of the shaft like a traditional hammer but instead the end of the shaft has a heavy right angle piece attached that accepts the tip. You would think from looking at it, that the tip would unscrew when you are pushing the pin flat but it in fact very secure. The nice thing about this design is that the tip won't wear and start rocking on the threads or unscrew while you are tuning. Also the angle is much less than most traditional hammers which gives it a very direct feel with less flagpoling. I love mine. My father who used an old hale lever for 25 years switched to the Jahn not long before I did and he will never go back.

John Ruggero
Ruggero Piano
Raleigh, NC
A technician based, distributer of fine pianos including Boesendorfer,Fazioli, Mason and Hamlin, Schimmel, Charles R. Walter, Estonia, and Falcone
www.ruggeropiano.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission