2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
I finally got our piano (a 48-inch Calisia upright) shipped to the US from Europe and it arrived at home two days ago.
It traveled well wrapped (by a piano company) in a wooden case which was placed in a metal container.
There was no damage to the instrument, but I can say that the humidity affected it a little because it had one sticky key. After a couple of hours at home the key stopped sticking. So my question is how long should I wait before I get it tuned? Two weeks? Three? A month? Or perhaps I should have it tuned now and then again in a month?

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Two weeks will allow for humidity changes so don't wait to have your tuner scheduled to come over and get to know your piano.

All tuners are slightly different as to how they like to service a piano but on one that is new, a follow up in a month or two is always beneficial to the stability

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Having imported pianos from Europe myself, I can say that you can possibly expect a long-ish acclimatization period until the instrument becomes fully stable in tuning and playing. You can count on geting it tuned a few times in the next year. Don't become alarmed if small issues such as sticking keys etc. crop up, this is all part of the process, which can take up to 18 months, but hopefully a lot less.

JG
B
B
Jurgen is wise.

You will hear different opinions about time needed. There's no one right answer. Soundboards with light lacquer finishes need less time than with poly finishes. Thin wood needs less time than thick wood. Unfinished needs less time than finished. There is no foolproof time to wait.

For modern pianos, I usually advise 4-6 weeks but nothing's perfect. I certainly would not go LESS than 2 weeks, and only that if it's an older piano with older type finishes on the wood.

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the replies, guys, I'll call my tuner today.
BTW, this is not a new piano, we bought it 3 years ago for my son.
It will definitely need some action regulation too -- I noticed that the action feels somewhat heavier and clumsy but I suppose this has to do with the humidity it was exposed to. Anyway, I'll discuss this with the tuner and keep you posted.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission