Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#622844 - 09/02/02 03:04 AM Question to piano tuners
StanSteel2 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hi forum,

I had my piano tuned about two months ago. I noticed afterwards that the bass strings were not in tune at all. They sounded exactly as they used to. It looks to me like the guy didn't even touch them. The problem is I didn't pay attention to that or else I would have asked the tuner. Does anyone know if it is standard procedure to leave the bass strings the way they were?

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#622845 - 09/02/02 06:13 AM Re: Question to piano tuners
BrianT Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi StanSteel

No it is not standard practice to do this.

A few considerations before pointing a finger at the tuner. Did you notice this immediatley after the tuner left? If so contact him he could genuinely have overlooked the bass notes. Everyone has a bad day sometimes.

If the high treble is also out of tune perhaps he only tuned the center of the keyboard compass in which case I would also want an explanation and a remedy from the tuner. Some unethical tuners would take this shortcut if they figure you are a beginner who would not make use of the outer extremities of the keyboard. If you feel this is the case consider looking for a new tuner. This happened to me about twelve years ago and I assumed it was my hearing at fault. It took me a while to figure it out. Thankfully I now have a great tuner.

If you only noticed it after a period of time consider that something may have happened environmentally or structually to your piano which is not the tuners fault. Has the piano been moved or exposed to some other drastic humidity or temperature change. Moving a piano mere inches on a slighlty uneven surface can affect the tuning, even if only on one side of the piano.

Perhap a tech on the list would be able to add more.

Take care
Brian Trudgeon

#622846 - 09/02/02 07:22 AM Re: Question to piano tuners
PNO2NER Offline

Loc: Traverse City, MI
Hi Stan, Brian is correct, ALL strings should have been tuned, however aside from listening to them, or watching the tuning process, one would not know whether all notes were tuned or not. (You said it didn't LOOK like they were tuned). My suggestion is to ask the technician in a friendly non-accusing way to check the piano for tune, that something doesn't sound quite right. As Brian said, other things could cause your problem, but if your technician has the proper attitude, he will welcome the chance to see your piano again. In all fields call backs represent information. If we don't hear from customers after tuning, we can only assume these folks are satisfied with our work, so the customer is doing a disservice to himself and the tuner by saying nothing. How the technician handles a complaint is the real mark of high level service. Let us know how it works out. PNO2NER

#622847 - 09/02/02 11:45 PM Re: Question to piano tuners
.rvaga* Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
 Quote:
Hi Stan, Brian is correct, ALL strings should have been tuned, however aside from listening to them, or watching the tuning process, one would not know whether all notes were tuned or not. (You said it didn't LOOK like they were tuned). My suggestion is to ask the technician in a friendly non-accusing way to check the piano for tune, that something doesn't sound quite right. As Brian said, other things could cause your problem, but if your technician has the proper attitude, he will welcome the chance to see your piano again. In all fields call backs represent information. If we don't hear from customers after tuning, we can only assume these folks are satisfied with our work, so the customer is doing a disservice to himself and the tuner by saying nothing. How the technician handles a complaint is the real mark of high level service. Let us know how it works out. PNO2NER
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I started to paraphrase, but decided to simply offer PNO2NER's post again as a quote, as it is an excellent response to your dilemma.

Excellent advice, and covers both the customer and tech's positions with the best attitude, instead of imagining what the situation is, and thinking the worst. Matter of fact, I think it shows pno2ner's attitude as a conscientious piano tech and person, I wish more people handled situations similarly!

\:\)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
166 registered (accordeur, Akshay, 36251, Alex Hernandez, 56 invisible), 1537 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153588 Topics
2250989 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
30 minutes 19 seconds ago
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
Today at 03:58 PM
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
Today at 03:51 PM
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
Today at 03:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission