Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#625561 - 01/18/09 01:18 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Hooray! The website is finally up along with the list of classes! Go to: http://www.ptg.org/conv/2009
Many will be interested to see the following:
 Quote:

All Day Voicing Seminar with Andre Oorebeek, Concert Piano Service, the Netherlands
This 4-period class starts with raw Renner/Wurzen felt hammers on new shanks. Discusses felt production, action friction, shaping the new hammers, complete voicing, and concert preparation. This class was top-rated at the Canadian Assoc. of Piano Technicians Seminar in July 2008. Learn the complete story!
www.pianova.net

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#625562 - 01/18/09 01:47 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I'll decline to comment on the drinks for now...

Quote:
Originally posted by rysowers:

"Many will be interested to see the following:
All Day Voicing Seminar with Andre Oorebeek, Concert Piano Service, the Netherlands
This 4-period class starts with raw Renner/Wurzen felt hammers on new shanks. Discusses felt production, action friction, shaping the new hammers, complete voicing, and concert preparation. This class was top-rated at the Canadian Assoc. of Piano Technicians Seminar in July 2008. Learn the complete story!"[/b]
This class is planned for all day Thursday. Why sit in one class for a whole day, you may ask...

Well, we had Andre here for 1-1/2 days and it was amazing. I must have sat through a good dozen of voicing seminars, and a week later, in front of a piano, I was still scratching my head, wondering what to do...

Fact is, there are many, many different approaches and techniques in voicing that can lead to good and predictable results. But only if the whole picture is understood and the technique is followed through from start to finish.

This is probably why I never came away from these seminars, some given by top techs, with as much insight as I had hoped. A two hour seminar is simply too short to get a grasp of the larger picture.

The full day seminar is a great way to go - we will get to see a complete voicing, from start to finish, from the lowest at bass through to the top treble, with all the steps and stages in between. Andre`s seminar will be an eye opener for anyone, even advanced voicers.

When his work was finished at the piano he did for us in Vancouver, I dont think anyone present had ever heard a Yamaha sound so rich and round and powerful.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#625563 - 01/18/09 12:30 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
Yes I second Jurgen’s comments. The only thing he missed on was that André, this guy works FAST!!
I mean really fast….it surprised me the tempo he works at… and without error too….

Maybe Jurgen's class is about mixing drinks you never know..... ;\)

www.silverwoodpianos.com
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#625564 - 01/18/09 02:36 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Fast, fast??? Did I not mention fast? It must have passed me by...

Yes, extremely fast, very precise and with a high degree of continuity. He would be adjusting the rep springs at a breakneck speed, zip, zip, zip, all the while explaining to us how and where and why etc... It was really something to experience...

Acquiring these skills is very conducive to making a decent living in this business...

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#625565 - 01/19/09 11:28 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rysowers:
[QB] Hooray! The website is finally up along with the list of classes! Go to: http://www.ptg.org/conv/2009
Here's another 'heads-up': the "Schedule" link in the center is not active yet, but you can find the class schedule in the PDF version, center button at the top of the class info.

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)

#625566 - 01/21/09 12:57 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here is an example of one of the great learning opportunities at this year's convention: A chance to study regulating with Rick Baldassin and other top notch techs from around the country!:

Quote:
Are You Regulationally Challenged? with Rick Baldassin, RPT, Renner, USA, Richard Davenport, RPT, Los Angeles Chapter, Michael Spreeman, RPT, Ravenscroft Pianos and Carl Teel, Renner USA[/b]
When trying to remedy an action that does not function properly, a timely and accurate diagnosis is crucial. Ten action models will be prepared to malfunction in a variety of ways. In the first period, class members in small groups will analyze and propose solutions to these problems. In the second period, the proper diagnosis for each model will then be shown, and the model restored to proper function. This format allows plenty of time to discuss function of the principles of grand regulation that relate to each problem. Class limit 30. You must pre-register for this class.
www.pianova.net

#625567 - 01/21/09 01:29 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dang, Ryan...I wanted that one...

But it's only offered on Thursday, and I hope to be in the "37 Steps" class all day.

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)

#625568 - 01/21/09 01:46 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I sent in my $1,003.00 for my son's and my registration yesterday. I included 3 or 4 of the pre-registration classes for the both of us!! So, I should be good to go!

I decided to have Bill Bremmer tutor him in a one on one class as well.

They have some fabulous classes to choose from! That's the most difficult part of all for me. Let's see, this one is on this day but, I want to go see this one too! Eeeny meenie miney moe...
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#625569 - 01/23/09 10:35 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

And...a bump to announce that the 'Schedule' link is now active!

#625570 - 01/23/09 12:30 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, I just talked with Sandy. Have my reservations confirmed for all "special classes" for my son along with a tuning tutoring class for him as well. HAH, beat you all! I'm good to go!!!

Better call home office and confirm your regulation classes if you reserved times because Sandy said the vertical regulation class was changed to a different day. I suggested they change the other from Thursday to another day because everyone I know is attending the voicing class but, she didn't think they were planning on doing that... Just so you know...
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#625571 - 01/26/09 01:08 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hot off the press!! At the Grand Rapids Convention there will be an opportunity to participate in "hands-on" mini technical sessions! Here is the current list:

Ron Nossaman – The “hovercraft”, the bridge notcher, and the overhead router.

David Stanwood – Hands-on Touchweight measurements

Vince Mrykalo – Balance rail hole repairs

Keith Kopp – Building the ultimate repair kit

Fred Sturm – Traveling and burning “upside down”. (Tip of the year!)

Gary Dunn – Broken out of the box? New piano checklists

Wim Blees – Vertical damper regulation/repairs

Patrick Draine – Agraffe repair

Jurgen Goering –European repinning using a two foot long pin
www.pianova.net

#625572 - 01/26/09 08:40 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
dherbon Offline

Loc: Iowa
I am very interested in some of the classes, but how do I know if I am accepted if there are class size limits? Are most classes just "look and listen" types or are there hands on classes. I would be very unhappy if I arrived there and found out that the classes are full or told they were full and then charged a fee to cancel my registration. I contacted their website through their email address a week ago and never have had a reply. I only can attend for two days and the Thursday and Friday classes are the main reason I want to attend.

#625573 - 01/26/09 09:57 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The classes with size limit's, not sure these have any of those requirements, Ryan would know, will be first come first serve. In other words, the first to register and pay.

The others, like the Thursday class on voicing, will be in a larger room capable of handling whoever attends. More than likely anyway... Everyone I know is attending that one!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#625574 - 01/27/09 01:54 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dherbon:
I am very interested in some of the classes, but how do I know if I am accepted if there are class size limits? Are most classes just "look and listen" types or are there hands on classes. I would be very unhappy if I arrived there and found out that the classes are full or told they were full and then charged a fee to cancel my registration. I contacted their website through their email address a week ago and never have had a reply. I only can attend for two days and the Thursday and Friday classes are the main reason I want to attend. [/b]
dherbon,

I just submitted your question to the rest of the committee. I'll post the answer when I hear back. Good question, by the way!
www.pianova.net

#625575 - 01/31/09 10:51 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Tough Times Don’t Last…Tough People Do!
52nd Annual PTG Convention & Technical Institute
July 15 - 19, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI

www.ptg.org/conv/2009

Race the clock! Registration starts February 1.
Go to www.ptg.org/conv/2009 to register online or download a registration form. Register NOW to get the best rate and ensure your spot on the starting line. Watch your mail for the 2009 brochure. Coming Soon!

Strengthen your skills!
Go to www.ptg.org/conv/institute and search the class database by instructor, day, time, topic, or level of instruction. Create a plan that is unique to your “fitness” goals.

Cool down in comfort!
Make your hotel reservations NOW. Reservations can only be made by calling the historic Amway Grand Plaza at 800-253-3590 or 616-776-6450. Use code 1000LT to get the PTG discounted rate. Online registration is not available this year but plenty of rooms are available! Special PTG rates are only guaranteed through June 10. Visit www.ptg.org/conv/2009/lodging to learn more about the Amway Grand, parking and transportation.

Stretch your dollars!
Can One Class Pay For Convention? [/b]
I often hear technicians say they can’t afford to attend the annual PTG Institute. Sorry, but that’s comparable to being a fitness “couch potato,” especially to those new to this industry. The truth is that attending the Institute will enable you to make more money. How?

I had been a technician for about five years when I attended an Institute with the sole purpose of improving my aural tuning skills. I attended almost every aural tuning class offered. Did my tuning skills improve? Certainly, but that was not what caused an increase in my income. What caused the increase? During classes, I noticed motions and techniques instructors were using that I was not using. By applying what I saw, within three months my tuning time was lessened by 20 minutes. My tunings were better and completed in less time.

Let’s see – 20 minutes times 600 tunings per year equals $12,000 PER YEAR! Did that institute pay for itself? Many, many times over! And that was income for just one year. That one Institute alone has paid for all the Institutes held for the rest of my life.

That year, I was still building my business and income was quite tight. What if I had said, “I just can’t afford to attend this year?” I would likely still be saying it.

What's your financial fitness plan? The theme this year is “Excellence Begins with the Basics” but that doesn’t mean that the experienced technician won’t be challenged at this year’s institute. Learn excellence from many of the best in our industry and you will reap the benefits for the rest of your career.

Online registration starts February 1! Visit www.ptg.org/conv/2009 or watch your mail for the convention brochure. We will have many NEW classes, the return of the popular skills stations, multi-session classes, mini-techs, and more of what you need for your continued professional development. Some have limited class sizes and fill up fast, so register NOW!

See you there!
Ward Guthrie, RPT
Institute Director
www.pianova.net

#625576 - 01/31/09 11:02 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dherbon:
I am very interested in some of the classes, but how do I know if I am accepted if there are class size limits? Are most classes just "look and listen" types or are there hands on classes. I would be very unhappy if I arrived there and found out that the classes are full or told they were full and then charged a fee to cancel my registration. I contacted their website through their email address a week ago and never have had a reply. I only can attend for two days and the Thursday and Friday classes are the main reason I want to attend. [/b]
The class size limits are listed on the online registration form.

If you are registering online, when any of the classes fill up, they will show up as FULL on the website registration.
If it is a mail-in, we can add them to a waiting list. We will refund their money if they don't get in, or not charge their card, depending on how they pay. Of course this is just for the extra fee for the skills session not convention registration.

So the main thing is if you're interested in these classes Register early![/b] \:\)
www.pianova.net

#625577 - 02/09/09 08:14 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here is an updated description of an exciting class being offered by renowned authority on piano touch, David Standwood! One more great reason to attend the Grand Rapids conference![/b]

www.pianova.net

#1154951 - 02/28/09 10:27 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan [Re: rysowers]
Jon Farah Offline

Loc: Sioux Falls, SD
Hello all, this may be as good a place as any to formally introduce myself, though I have been reading this forum for the past 6 months.

My name is Jon, I'm from Milwaukee, WI and I think that's where I may start up my business in the near future. I'm going through the Chicago School of Piano Technology first year course as we speak. And yes, I have a thread-relevant question.

This will be my first national convention, and because of budget concerns, I might only attend using the weekend pass. Most of the institute classes do not have date/time designations. I'm wondering if there is a place on the convention website that lists dates/times for these courses that I have missed, or if they are held everyday of the convention? The answer will greatly affect my decision of attending only the weekend or shelling out the dough for the whole week.

Thanks again guys, I've gathered some great tips/advise thus far in my short residency on this forum, and I appreciate all the help I can get. I hope to meet some of you pros in G.R. in July!

Chicago School for Piano Technology Graduate

#1154965 - 02/28/09 11:03 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan [Re: Jon Farah]
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Jon, welcome out into the light!!

At the convention site, click on "Institute", at the top theres a buttong that says "Download PDF class grid". That will give you the schedule for the classes.

#1155016 - 03/01/09 02:09 AM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan [Re: JDelmore]
Jon Farah Offline

Loc: Sioux Falls, SD
Dang, I knew I missed something obvious...thanks JD!

Chicago School for Piano Technology Graduate

#1180214 - 04/14/09 12:34 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan [Re: Jon Farah]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just a reminder that airfares are pretty reasonable right now for flying to Grand Rapids. Don't put it off any longer - book your flight today!

I look forward to seeing you there!
www.pianova.net

#1180269 - 04/14/09 02:05 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan [Re: rysowers]
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

HA!! Got my train tickets in the mail last week!! Cheaper still than flying, even with the roomette!! Eh...of course, I'm in one of those "can't get there from here" air markets...

I'm so looking forward to GR...

#1180293 - 04/14/09 02:39 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan [Re: JDelmore]
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Me to...got an airline ticket. It would take me 36 hours to get to GR by train. Heck I bet I could make it faster by bus, but I swore those off years ago. So on a wing and a prayer, GR here I come. Jerry Groot, put a fresh coat of piant on the doghouse!!!

JD, are you going to be testing while in GR?

#1180295 - 04/14/09 02:54 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan [Re: Ron Alexander]
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm thinking next year for the exams, Ron. Maybe get two done before and try for the foundation scholarship!! Then, God willing and the Creek don't rise, the next year, I'll get free registration as a "fresh RPT"!! Two years of "free" convention!!

Since I will be taking vacation time from my 'other' job, I'm gonna consider the 30-hour (each way) trip "vacation" (yes...the Texas Eagle has a "bar-car"...LOL!!).

#1180370 - 04/14/09 05:06 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan [Re: JDelmore]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The dog house is setting in the yard and ready to go just for you Ron! Only one thing left yet. Gotta remember to buy you some dog food!!!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1180557 - 04/14/09 11:18 PM Re: 2009 PTG Technical Institute - July 15-19 Grand Rapids, Michigan [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Woof woof

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (ando, alans, ajames, 42 invisible), 1713 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75599 Members
42 Forums
156306 Topics
2295638 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
07/31/14 12:50 PM
Temperament and Western Music Common Intervals
by prout
07/31/14 12:44 PM
P80 for 150
by LarryShone
07/31/14 11:26 AM
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
07/31/14 08:03 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission