I finally got to the point where I felt I could tackle the ivory top replacement.
First I fitted the tops to the appropriate
keys so that they fit. I sanded under the ivories to make the adjustment.
I decided to use regular white glue and clamp method. I bought a couple clamps and started first to glue the couple of loose ivories as practice. It turned out that
using thick rubber bands wrapped tightly
all over the key worked like a charm with no slipping as I was having trouble with the clamps.
That did the trick quite nicely and it is the original method. I was too afraid to use the contact method as so of the ivories just barely made it across and I wanted to be able to do fine tuning adjustments.
It's beautiful and all ivory, I am glad I
took the extra effort to get the ivory instead of just putting some plastic.
I can't believe that I was searching for methods to hold the tops down and the trick was just simple cheap rubber bands which I already had.
Now I am back to sprucing up the finish
with a blend of 40 %tung oil, 40 %mineral spirits and about 20 % poly, to try to create a durable protective oil finish.
That's it, oh for that missing bushing I glued a piece of felt and it works fine.
Rubberbands, I am still laughing.
Thank heavens for rubber bands!