Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#626674 - 10/03/06 02:48 AM Action (damper) regulation problem???
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
I am used to play uprights mostly. The latest upright I owned is a Boston UP-132. I mentioned in some posts of other threads I find it difficult to controll pp (certainly ppp) playing, especially in the bass section. Other uprights I played were often (much) better in that department. However what I always experienced with the uprights I played was that as soon as the damper left the string (something I could check visually by removing the front board) little or no extra key pressure/downward movement was needed to produce a sound.

Recently I played a grand with an even action all over the 88 keys. However on all keys (except for the non-damped ones) is was difficult to play pp or if you like easy to press a key without producing any sound: when pressing the keys lightly you could hear/see the damper let go of the string but a significant extra pressure/downward movement of the keys was necessary to produce any sound.

Is this a question of regulation/tight damper springs or a phenomenon that is typical of a brand new action that still needs some playing-in?

schwammerl.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#626675 - 10/03/06 10:53 AM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
scutch Offline

Loc: california
My guess is that it is a damper timing problem. The upright sounds like the dampers are picking up late in the key travel and the opposite for the grand.
Try to look at the hammers to see if the damper is just begining to lift at about half of the hammer travel.
Regulation will determine how easily ppp can be achieved.
In a grand the damper will add resistance to the key and if picked up too early in the key stroke the action will feel heavy making ppp more difficult. Similar with uprights.
In either case damper timing is only part of what is required to achieve ppp.
If there is friction anywhere in the action ppp will be more difficult and this would not be unusual in a new piano.

#626676 - 10/03/06 11:45 AM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
See how close the hammer comes to the string, when you play so slowly that there's no sound. It should come within a few mm of the string.

This is the essential adjustment that affects control at pp.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#626677 - 10/04/06 03:26 PM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
Jan-Erik Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
If there is friction problems with a new action, the quality is inferior.

Running in by playing means that some more frequently used keys will get lighter than the rest and you will end up with a very uneven action.

Running in can be beneficial for getting an exact regulation as some parts might settle with the use.

If a piano in a shop feels heavy and the pianissimo playing is difficult, you had better pass by and try another.

#626678 - 10/05/06 08:50 PM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
CTPianotech Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CT
It is common for a new piano to need to have its friction points addressed in some way, be it key easing, alchohol/water solution on the action centers, etc. Unfortunately, not all dealers perfrom this service to their pianos, prior to presenting them on the showroom floor.
Ritmuller/Pearl River

#626679 - 10/06/06 01:27 AM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Rich,

If it is true that what the dealer told after having contacted the European importer, "the action was regulated exactly as prescribed" is key easing, as you explained, something that should be insisted on?

The suggestion from the dealer was also to just run it in for about 50 hours and wait till the action gets smoother. But as Jan-Erik said that would not guarantee you to get an even action because you could be using about 40% (3 octaves) mostly during that 50 hrs playing-in!?

Tha method with alcohol-water which you describe, is this a standard procedure? Does it take much time to perform?

schwammerl.

#626680 - 10/06/06 12:56 PM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
vik Offline

Loc: Canada
Ehh... I'm doubtful if the 50 hours of playing will make much of a difference to the action. Hammers? Yes, if it's been voiced/carded, but I don't understand about the action bit with this theory of your dealer.

I've personally never heard of the alcohol/water mix but I'm a newbie to the industry. My professors have always injected Protek and taught us to follow suit.

#626681 - 10/06/06 01:41 PM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
scutch Offline

Loc: california
When pianos are manufactured with wood that is not completely cured the wood will continue to cure after assembly. It shrinks. When it shirnks, all flanges/bushings and key mortise/bushings will get tight. This happens to some degree with all pianos.
Alcohol water will shrink the felt to fit the center pins of flanges and relieve much of this friction - however this technique is not as accurate as repinning and reaming/burnishing the felt on both sides of the flanges to get optimum fit and friction. You have no way of knowing on which side of a flange the friction is comming from - it could be one or both sides. Alcohol water could get varied results - which works ok much of the time.
Protek only lubes the felt temproary - it will require re-application on reurn visits.
I have never used alcohol water on key bushings.
Usually just easing the felt with the Yamaha tool or key easing pliers works ok - however there are some that must be rebushed as the above techniques are not enough and the force required from the pliers will start crushing wood fibers.
When thinking about "playing it in" as a cure to problems like this one should consider that many flange bushings will last a hundred years or so.

#626682 - 10/06/06 10:17 PM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
CTPianotech Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CT
The bottom line is, a piano can (and should) be playing to its full potential, particularly as it relates to action performance, while at the showroom. How else is a customer to be able to determine what they are buying? Consider also that most manufactures these days have machines that 'play in' there pianos to help them settle.

The examples of service I gave, are intended to be only that--examples of things which may or may not be needed to be done on a given piano. It is up to the technician who is there with the piano to determine whether one particular method is appropriate at a given time.
Ritmuller/Pearl River

#626683 - 10/13/06 06:32 AM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The problems I mentioned in the first post is likely due to the let off being to far off: 6mm instead of 1.5 - 3.0 mm. Maybe at the same time other parameters like blow distance will have to be checked/regulated.

How much time would such an operation take on a new instrument (assume the tech has to go through every note individually)?

Is this something that is done on site?

schwammerl.

#626684 - 10/13/06 09:42 AM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
6mm!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha

And that action was regulated as prescribed?????

It might need a day of regulating. Check the damper lift, 1/3 to 1/2 the way to string, and if it needs that or key leveling, add a day or two.

A full regulation can take 2 to 3 days.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#626685 - 10/13/06 02:13 PM Re: Action (damper) regulation problem???
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
 Quote:
Originally posted by schwammerl:

Is this something that is done on site?

[/b]
Yes.

--Cy--

(I'll take the easy answer! :-)
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
62 registered (bennevis, 36251, Beemer, beeboss, angga888, 16 invisible), 1125 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325580 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission