Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#627616 - 11/01/01 09:36 PM rebuilding a 1889 steinway B
dan long Offline

Loc: mi
This piano was purchased about # weeks ago and the tech said that it needed hammers and shanks al;so to be restrung. When I was underneath it I took a piece of string across the sound board and found that it was flat. I told the tech this and he said that I shouldn't worry about it that the downbearing is what will make the difference. I said ok but am worried that he might be trying to make shortcuts I don't know why because I told that if it needed it just do it cost I dont care I just want it done right the first time. Also the soundboard has little fine hair cracks can't put a dollar bill though them. They are not seperating from the bridges at all. He wants to use buttons on it. Any comment or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks Dan Long

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#627617 - 11/02/01 12:29 AM Re: rebuilding a 1889 steinway B
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sherman Oaks, Calif.
Based on the piano age along with the test you did underneath the soundboard, the best policy under the circumstances would be a soundboard replacement. My partner and I have gotten impressive results doing that with the belief that when in doubt it's best to do it. If your piano were restrung with the existing board and the crown remains flat, there will NOT be any noticeable difference in the tone even if the downbearing is adequate.

Mark Mandell www.pianosource.com

#627618 - 11/02/01 08:04 PM Re: rebuilding a 1889 steinway B
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mark is correct. No amount of bearing will fix a flat soundboard. A soundboard needs a crown to resonate properly. A flat soundboard will sound dead. Increasing the bearing in a flat board results in negative bearing and worse tone. Sometimes a flat soundboard can be crowned by drying it out, and filling the cracks with shims or epoxy when they are as large as they get. This sometimes will restore some crown. But the best way to go is a new board ie, big bucks.

#627619 - 11/03/01 09:30 AM Re: rebuilding a 1889 steinway B
Chris W1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston
Dan,

To balance the arguement further away from what this tech is telling you I would say that, in the opposite extreme, their are credible rebuilders, Del Fandrich included, who feel that even old, still crowned, boards are often dead and irrepairable. The wood's elasticity is judged to be gone.

Also there is a camp that feels cracked boards are a good thing in that they allow for a modicom of expansion/contraction of the wood without the crushing effects of humidity.

I personally feel too few are replaced, but that once in a blue moon old boards sound fine, despite cracks, so long as there IS crown. I wonder when the last time this tech played a new board was. If he has never been associated with a board replacement, take what he says with a grain of salt.

Good luck,
Chris W

#627620 - 11/03/01 12:17 PM Re: rebuilding a 1889 steinway B
dan long Offline

Loc: mi
I just want to thank you people for all your input and I am going to look for another tech who I can count on maybe one from a steinway dealer would be a good start. I don't understand why this person[tech]would not want to fix this piano the right way maybe he just doesn't know how. Again thanks

#627621 - 11/03/01 11:22 PM Re: rebuilding a 1889 steinway B
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I can certainly tell you from my own experience that replacing a soundboard is a rather labor intensive job and it MUST be done with practically zero tolerance where measurements are concerned. So whoever you'd consider hiring for the job would unquestionably have to be experienced.

Mark

#627622 - 11/03/01 11:25 PM Re: rebuilding a 1889 steinway B
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It also occurred to me that you could have the piano "wapinized" which is a procedure involving alteration of the bridge pins that results in an expanded sustain along with some increase in tonal volume. This is actually less expensive than the soundboard replacement but it assumes that the existing bridge is in a good enough condition to allow for that.

You can read more about it at www.wapin.com.
My partner and I did this on one of our rebuilds last year and got good results actually.

Mark(again)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (255, accordeur, *windowlicker*, 36251, A Guy, 55 invisible), 1419 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157143 Topics
2307861 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano with Willie
by Nikalette
08/29/14 12:58 PM
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
08/29/14 09:40 AM
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
08/29/14 09:32 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission