Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
143 registered (36251, Alkanaut, anotherscott, anamnesis, accordeur, Anita Potter, 45 invisible), 1747 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#627855 - 01/20/08 09:06 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Yep, I definitely see new tuning forks being delivered by the faithful UPS man in a few days.
I dont see any corrosion, or nicks even with a magnifying glass, but they are old enough to be retired. Temperature is indeed a big consideration for tuning forks.

I use that telescopic magnet tool quite a bit, Dave. It saves opening bottom boards all the way to retrieve a dropped mute among other things. But the best use I have had for that thing was last spring. I happened to lock my keys in my auto. Luckily I left the window down about 2 inches. There they were lying on the middle console. After a few minutes of scratching my head, and breathing a few choice words under my breathe, I remembered that telescoping magnet.
I fished'em out in only two tries. That made my day!

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#627856 - 01/20/08 09:26 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Artisan Piano Offline

Somewhere in the PTG archives is a piece on re-calibrating forks.

#627857 - 01/20/08 09:35 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I have a fork I carry with me and another which I keep as a reference. They never vary audibly, though.

#627858 - 01/20/08 11:29 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
During my apprenticeship, my mentor cut a pair of mutes for me from a beautiful royal purple slab of hammer underfelt. I became about as attached to those 2 wedges as a person could possibly be. :3hearts:
As time went by I lost one of them. The other one I guarded closely. About five years later, I was tuning an upright player and wouldn't you know it - the mute dropped down and into the mechanism. I rooted around for it as long as I dared, but I couldn't find it or get it out. I was never called back to tune that piano, but I remembered what house my favorite tuning mute was in (not that far away) and I still harbored hopes of recovering it one day..

Over the years the acute pain of loss subsided. Last spring I was called to a neighborhood house at the end of my block to tune and appraise a piano. It was an old player and the owner wanted to sell it. She had bought it about ten years ago. I could see there had been some mouse activity. When I removed the bottom panel, I saw a corner of a piece of purple felt laying behind the exhauster bellows. I pulled it out and sure enough, it was my old tuning mute! The mice had dragged it from where I had dropped it to a place where it was visible. Completely chewed up by mice and moths by now, it was unmistakably the mute that I had received from the hand of the Master over twenty years back.

It had been returned to me. I was convinced it was an omen. Of what, I wasn't entirely sure. But maybe in ten years I shall find out.

Meet My Missing Mute:

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#627859 - 01/20/08 11:48 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Artisan Piano Offline

That's a good story. Maybe we could train mice to retrieve our dropped mutes and tools.
Actually I've been thinking about training a monkey to move the mutes as I tune. Eventually I could train it to do some regulation.
When work is slow, I could be an organ grinder!
Maybe I should contact Schaff about this idea.

#627860 - 01/21/08 08:20 AM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I love that monkey commercial. The "Trunk Monkey." Have you seen it?

Jurgen, your mute was a happy source for not only yourself in tuning but, it helped to keep the little "mouseys" snug and warm during the cold winter months and it fed the moths! \:\) \:D Now you can make new ones for about 200 of us that fell in love with it here!!!!! \:D
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#627861 - 01/21/08 08:47 AM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I really dont have time, but I gotta respond to this one. Love the mute story Jurgen! And Steven that mouse mute grabber might not be a bad idea. But I think I'd grind his/her teeth down a little before I store it in my tool bag. The "Trunk Monkey" idea is great, especially for those harder to please customers..hehe

#627862 - 01/21/08 09:51 AM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

IF one were so inclined, the mute story would make a great kid's book. All snuggly and stuff. Thanks for sharing that one, Jurgen.

I'm still hoping to find my favorite capstan tool someday.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#627863 - 01/21/08 03:53 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Piano Guy Offline

Loc: Southern Ontario,Canada
Not so long ago I left a rubber mute behind on the keyboard. Got talking and went on my way. By the time I arrived home [20 minutes] my wife explained my client had called very concerned that I had left a tool behind. I checked the kit, all holes appeared full and tools accounted for. With in minutes a knock came at the door. An elderly gentleman was standing there smiling, with my mute in his outstretched hand. "I was afraid you needed this". His son had frantically called him to get this tool back to me, as he couldn't do it himself. I did not have the heart to explain to this gentleman, I had a bag full of them, and there was no need for his 20 minute trek, to return my left behind tool. Very thoughtful of those people, and well appreciated by me for their concern !!

#627864 - 01/21/08 05:18 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Anne Francis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Quote:

I hate it when you pull in the drive 50 miles from home ready for the 1st piano of 6 or 7, jump out and reach for your tool case which should be in the back but which is actually sitting in your shop 50 miles away while the lady is peering out the window at you staring blankly into the void mumbling obscenities. [/QB]
This would make a great example for a punctuation/grammar textbook. When I first read it I actually thought the LADY was mumbling obscenities (but of course that would NEVER happen!!)

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

#627865 - 01/21/08 05:56 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

obscenities[/b]
Anne, you remind me of this..

One time I had crawled under a piano, fixed the pedals, went to crawl back out and as I was getting out and ready to stand up I cranked the back of my head on the thumb nut on the cheek block. As if that wasn't bad enough it had a burr on it! Of course, I had forgotten my screw driver. I was so MAD after that - that I reached in there, grabbed it quickly crawling back out quickly and hit my head on that thing AGAIN! Another time that I completely lost my religion for a while. Little did I know but, the customer had been standing there the whole time. As politely as she could without cracking up (which is what I would have done the first the head hit) softly said "problems?" I smiled back red faced as ever as best I could and said nope, not anymore!!! She smiled and walked away. Nothing more was said about it.

Anyone else dare to confess anything here?? \:D
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#627866 - 01/21/08 06:03 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Did the same thing, but on a grand rim once. Cut my skull. I've banged my knee on Player boxes located under the right key block more times than I can remember. I left my tools overnite on a customer's porch once. The danger there was Black Bears that come out at night and wander around the homes, not thieves. I retrieved it intact the next morning!

#627867 - 01/21/08 06:42 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I had finished tuning the piano and was leaving. The lady of the house walked out onto the front porch to bid farewell till next year. The weather was very cold and had been raining. My foot slipped as soon as it hit the topmost step. Both feet flew out in front of me, the tool bag went flying upward and I skidded down the remaining steps on my behind. Embarrassed, I stood up, relieved that nothing seemed to be broken. The lady nearly had a cow though, but I assured her, I was fine. Next day, I could barely move. I now negotiate all wet steps with extra care and wear only rubber sole shoes when it's wet.

That's all I'm gonna own up to right now!!!!!

#627868 - 01/21/08 06:51 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Oooooh, Ron, you chicken! \:D
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#627869 - 01/21/08 06:56 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

*Laughin' heartily Jerry!!!! There are several more I'm sure, but I'm too tired to think of them right now, let alone own up to them. hehe

#627870 - 01/21/08 07:35 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Ok Ron,,,, rest up, I'll look for YOURS tomorrow then... \:\)
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#627871 - 01/21/08 07:57 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Okay, I have one on a friend of mine. I asked permission to post this, and since he recently registered as a member of the Piano Forums, maybe this will encourage him to join us in posting.

Andy, my best friend and fellow tuner is a very nice Jewish boy, who moved to the Southland from New York City some years ago. We graduated from tuning school together, and he owned up to this story which happened some years ago. I still laugh when I think about this, even after all these years.

Andy was scheduled to tune 3 pianos at a church. He arrived at the church and the only door he found unlocked was a side door. He entered through the door and was met with complete darkness. Feeling his way through the room, he found a door knob. Upon opening the door he was able to see in the darkness a set of steps which led up to a balcony area that looked out over the santuary. He climbed the steps and while looking into the santuary to find the piano, he took another step forward. He immediately fell into the baptismal waist deep in warm water. He says his first thought was, "Oh my God, have I defiled the water!"
He found the bathroom, rung out his socks and pants, and proceeded to tune the 3 pianos.

Andy, hope I did the story justice. It's still funny as heck to me.

#627872 - 01/21/08 08:04 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Marty in Minnesota Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Minnesota
From the other side --

A while back my tuner/tech was over to do a tuning and to change the Dampp Chaser pads on my grand. I happened to walk by and I heard him mutter "what the?" (no expletive) There he was, on his knees, with his butt sticking out and obviously was having a problem. I watched him wriggle out of his sweater and back out from under the piano. His sweater was left hanging by one sleave as he had caught the cuff on something.

He was bright red and I was laughing like crazy.

Back he went, on his back, to retrieve his clothing.

His only comment was "My wife gave it to me for Christmas and I didn't want to ruin it."

When he returned in the spring, I offered him a soda and a sweater.

#627873 - 01/22/08 08:50 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
haha....

I think all piano should come with its own tuning hammer, mute(a few), and fork(maybe a jack adjuster). Just like a jack and nut wrench at the trunk of your car(tyre replacement) \:D

... don't you hate it when the kids plays the Xnophone while you tune(the high trebles)??

#627874 - 01/22/08 09:11 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Here's another.. I hate it when the dog howls while I'm tuning and when the STUPID grandfather clock chimes every darned 15 minutes.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#627875 - 01/22/08 09:20 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Last time I tuned in a rest home, everyone cleared the room shortly after I began tuning. I've never seen old ladies move so fast...hehe.
But one old lady who was wheel chair bound was not able to go. Soon she began moaning so loud I could barely hear what I was doing, and she was all the way across the room. Best set of lungs in an 80 year plus person I ever heard.

I felt so sorry for her, I got up and went to find a nurse to take her away. I know she was as relieved as I was. Lawnmowers near the window and 80 year old ladies with good lungs, I just cant compete with them!!!

#627876 - 01/22/08 09:22 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"He entered through the door and was met with complete darkness." I have a flashlight in a side pocket of my tool kit for those dark rooms, stages, churches, etc. Or - a small light on your key ring works as well. At least the water was warm! Very funny.

#627877 - 01/22/08 09:55 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Artisan Piano Offline

The only time I've ever been heckled was in a rest home.

#627878 - 01/22/08 10:36 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Groot RPT:
Here's another.. I hate it when the dog howls while I'm tuning and when the STUPID grandfather clock chimes every darned 15 minutes. [/b]
use your extra mute to mute the GrandPaPa dingDongs.. hehehe

remember to remove after tuning.

or completer tuning within 14min:59sec

kerkerker...

#627879 - 01/23/08 12:40 AM Re: Don't you hate it when....
BDB Online   content

I went to tune in a rest home where my aunt's mother was living, whom I had not seen in many years. The woman who was complaining loudest about my tuning became very defensive of me when she learned that I was her daughter's nephew.

#627880 - 01/23/08 01:35 AM Re: Don't you hate it when....
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

don't you hate it when ppl ask "what do you do"
when you say i'm a piano tuner, they always says

"i didn't know you play the piano"....

also homes with wind chimes ........
Cling clangs

#627881 - 01/23/08 01:57 AM Re: Don't you hate it when....
BDB Online   content

When people ask, "Do you play as well?" my response is, "Not nearly as well as I tune them!"

#627882 - 01/23/08 01:11 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Or, when they ask, "what do you REALLY do for a living?" This. "HUH?" This. "REALLY? Can you make a living at this?" What a nosey question to begin with and a most annoying one!

Or, do you have to play the piano in order to tune it? To which I usually reply, no more than I have to be able to tune it to play it. Usually I get a strange look while they repeat it in their heads 4 or 5 times until they get it or ask me to "repeat that again?"
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#627883 - 01/23/08 03:45 PM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Jerry Viviano Offline

Loc: Cary, NC
Back to the original topic...
I have an uncle who took his wife, daughter, and son-in-law on a cruise in the Bahamas. When they all got to the port of departure, standing next to the ship, my uncle said to his wife, "Honey, you know the piano that your father gave us in the living room?" She looked at him and said yes. He said, "I sure wish we had brought it with us." Everyone got quiet and looked him curiously. His wife said, "Honey, why in the world would you want to bring a piano with us on our cruise?" He looked at everyone and sheepishly said, "Because I just remembered that our tickets are still sitting on it."

That really happened. Somehow they managed to get on the boat.

#627884 - 01/24/08 12:36 AM Re: Don't you hate it when....
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
A few years ago I tuned a Bergman studio and it had rattle from the bottom board. Usually I pop it back, pull down on the spring to increase tension and bingo no more rattle. I pulled this spring down and it snapped at the first screw hole. It was winter with about 4 inches of snow and the piano a long way from the shop. I did not have another spring and a standard one would not fit it anyway so I planned to take my trusty drill, poke a hole and remount it, a little shorter but functional. I stepped out on the porch with spring, drill, high speed bits and a block of wood for a backer, knelt down and began to drill. This spring was hardend, brittle steel, (why it broke to begin with) and while holding it the bit suddenly jumped and jabbed a deep hole right into my finger. My first instinct was pull my hand away which splattered blood all over the side of the house, (white, of course) and onto the snow. It would NOT stop bleeding.

I had left my coat in the house and I could not have put it on anyway with a bloody hand. Went to the truck and for some dumb reason took the spring which I dropped in the snow. Got my emergancy kit and a shop towel, some large bandaids and bled thru them all. With one hand wadded up I went back for the spring, gone of course in the snow and tracked back and forth for 5 minutes, freezing, bleeding and bemoaning fate till I found it. I was outside for a half an hour trying to drill a hole in the undrillable with one wadded and one good hand till there was obviously no hope. I took handfuls of snow to clean the blood off the house and porch. The bleeding hand slowed enough for a tight bandaid. Without the spring the bottom board fell forward. The keybeds on those are solid oak. I had to get a drill to make a pilot hole for a screw, replace the board and let it rest against the screw, wrapped in fallboard felt. Had to take that spring back to the shop and weld it. ALL WHILE TRYING TO LOOK PROFESSIONAL!

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77388 Members
42 Forums
160044 Topics
2350248 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission