2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh, that happens even when you're not in a hurry Dave. A couple of years ago for me, I did the same thing but this time, mine snapped off a hammer. Some things just can't be avoided. I do find though that, many of the accidents take place during conversations with the customers while working on the piano. Distractions you seeeeeeeeee. laugh

Yeah Diane, break neck speed for Dave and flying tuning hammers, mutes, maybe even screw drivers and music racks! And, hehehe, if Dave doesn't satisfy you, I'll be most happy to come over and touch it up in about 30 seconds! I'll even leave my tools in the car! Yep, sounds good byeee!
laugh laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I have a Hale nylon handle hammer that's got roughly 30-35K pianos on it. It's my 2nd Hale. the first one died in a store front church deep in the Chicago hood on a Baldwin spinet new circa 1975 or so. Pins were so tight I twisted the head right off. Still have the stem. Baldwin bought me the 2nd one, "guarnteed for life" which is meaningless since I've outlived Hale!

I run into lots of ornery pinblocks. Most tuners with lots of experiance are broad in the shoulders from wrestling pins. (Broad in the spare tire and keester too, but that's another story.) I've not met a pinblock I couldn't work with. Met several I left with colorful names though.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
When, you're working 30 minutes from home, like today, with a giant hole in your schedule that no matter what, it just doesn't work for anybody to have you on this particular day?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I remember once chipping an ivory on a keyboard that the owner said was absolutely original. Of course, I repaired it better than the other ivories that were replaced on it.

Semipro Tech
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
A story from several years back...

We were having the piano tuned. We had been having difficulty finding a tuner, and a friend had suggested that we call Bluthner in London. So this was the Bluthner tuner's first visit. He was tuning in the living room, we were in the kitchen having a cup of tea. Suddenly - an enormous crash resounded through the house!!! I rushed to see what had happened, and found the tuner ignominiously picking himself up off the floor, the piano stool having disintegrated under him. He was, it must be said, a very large gentleman! I don't know if he or we were more embarrassed.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
When, you're driving down the highway, trying to be on time, you see traffic slowing down, realize way in advance that the right lane is closed and pull into the left lane and watch everyone else try to sneak around you and pull in at the last second again, watching everyone letting them in causing a huge traffic jam down to a dead stop. Now, what WAS on time, just became 15 minutes late.

And, the following day, when you get into the same traffic congestion, driving 3 MPH up to where they're working on the road and watch 1 person working while 5 others are standing there talking and laughing. The traffic stopped for that? 15 minutes late again. mad

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
J
J
Don't you hate it when...

So today piano #4 is a Baldwin concert grand with a block so tight it might as well have come from the factory. I am in the zone though and I've found just the right tug to hit the sweet spot-the pins are snappin' and poppin' like Orville Redenbacker's finest.

152 pins in and I find the one pin about as tight as as a 70 year old Wurlitzer spinet. Good thing the stringing box was in the trunk.

Piano Technician
Pro horn player
Recording Engineer
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Jerry Groot RPT:
I do find though that, many of the accidents take place during conversations with the customers while working on the piano. Distractions you seeeeeeeeee. laugh

Yeah Diane, breakneck speed for Dave and flying tuning hammers, mutes, maybe even screw drivers and music racks! And, hehehe, if Dave doesn't satisfy you, I'll be most happy to come over and touch it up in about 30 seconds! I'll even leave my tools in the car! Yep, sounds good byeee!
laugh laugh
So it's almost midnight and as you can see, and I can't sleep!

Why? Because my technician is coming here tomorrow and all I can think about is a "chunk" out of the shiny black fallboard!

All I can say is, "Don't you hate it when . . . technicians tell you "way" too many things that can go wrong!

And Dave and Jerry, be sure to sleep with one eye open! I know where you guys live! laugh

Sleepless in Western Canada!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
f eek laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
f eek laugh
Jerry's speechless! Now that's a first! laugh

Don't worry Jerry, I really wouldn't really track you down, but you might just want to check your tools! Some might be missing!

Don't you hate it when . . . the customer steals all your best tools! When you're asleep! laugh

Dave, maybe check yours too!

Diane
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Speechless? Heck no! I'm in hiding now for fear of my life! Diane's a coming! :p

Hey, you said your tuner was coming today? What did he ruin??? laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
when you be a good guy and adjust that unually large amount of lost motion on the old spinet, shift over with your knee under the keybed and the bed slides up and down because the side is loose!

when you have a noisy grand buzz traced to a soundboard button 1/2 inch from the belly rail in the extreme treble with NO clearance for any offset screw driver God ever made and NO leverage to break the damn thing off.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Diane,

My tools are squarely in the trunk, the best one being my axe, which I keep finely honed for fresh polyester :t:

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Hey, you said your tuner was coming today? What did he ruin??? laugh
He ruined the reputation that some Tuners crack, break, and damage things! thumb

So yes, my technician was here and he did an amazing job! He's pure Gold! But as soon as he held the fallboard up with one hand!, I left the room! He was here for 3 1/2 hours and worked on both my pianos!

I have such an appreciation for what you fellows do! Working in small areas with tools, lifting heavy parts, and adjusting this and that, takes muscles, . . . and brains! You guys make it look easy, but I can see that it's not!

So . . . let me just thank you Jerry and Dave for the offer to work on my piano by letting me buy you both a drink! Just promise you won't let anyone else taste it first! laugh

See ya!

Diane
[Linked Image]
...when you're very hungry and you're offered softdrinks.

JUNMER
Piano tuner / Piano teacher
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
0097150-6543009
0097155-6543009
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yaaaa! Cyanide city at Diane's house! YIPES!

DAVE, she's all yours!!!!!! Scratches n all... laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Whennnn, you go to turn sideways on the bench, or slide on the piano bench and the tops of your knee's drag across the bottom of the key bed taking in all sorts of little bitty slivers ruining your pants along the way. mad

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
When, you're driving down the highway, trying to be on time, you see traffic slowing down, realize way in advance that the right lane is closed and pull into the left lane and watch everyone else try to sneak around you and pull in at the last second again, watching everyone letting them in causing a huge traffic jam down to a dead stop. Now, what WAS on time, just became 15 minutes late.

And, the following day, when you get into the same traffic congestion, driving 3 MPH up to where they're working on the road and watch 1 person working while 5 others are standing there talking and laughing. The traffic stopped for that? 15 minutes late again. mad
I hear ya, Jerry. I run into this more than once. I think what takes the cake though is the little old lady that's afraid to pass the construction zone or the workmen putting out the cones. She sits and stares at them while there is absolutely nothing ahead of her for miles, and the police are waving her on and horns are blasting at her. mad

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ya, John, I'd love to have one of those little dart guns then hehehe. POP... oh myyy. Hmmmm, my tire went flat, I'll have to pull off the road. hehehe.

When... you do a concert tuning and get a call the following morning that the pianist broken B-6 string. Go in, replace it and the winding curls upwards over top of the Beckett, instead of under. So, you rip it out, and redo it right.

Boy, is THAT ever frustrating! But, I gotta say, both Beckett's came out perfectly with the surrounding ones though. smile

Happy ending? One of the maintenance crew came in and said, hey, if you have any extra left over piano wire, I'd love to have it. I just looked at him. confused He said, nooooo, really, it makes for a great fishing tool. I looked at him again.... confused He giggled and said, nooo, I mean, I can make a hook out of it and fish things from behind stuff when it something falls behind it. It's strong and stays bent.

OHhhhh, now I get it!! HERE You can have this nice first fresh piece that didn't come out right! GREAT, THANKS MAN! He said! You becha! wink Now, I don't have to throw it away either. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On the list of "Dont ya hate it when..."
Not first but waaay up there.

Mowing the yard on April 10th (Tooo early in the year) cause it's already butt high on a bulldog...when you really wanna be out on the lake paddlin a kayak. I'm in the market for a herd of goats, if anyone has a herd for sale.

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission