2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
I was thinking about doing piano tuning as a side job in order to keep a steady income. I'll obviously need to be apprenticed, or learn in some way, and have quite a bit of experience before I can do this well, but I think it would be a fascinating job and a really good fit for me. Since I can't really make a good income performing yet (don't have the equipment, audience, or experience) I was wondering about doing tuning for a little extra money.

Any suggestions? Are there online video tutorials available? What should I read up on? What's a good starter tuning kit?

Any recommendations, advice, or warnings would be highly appreciated.

-Colin

The are two popular "schools" in the US you can consider.
American School of Piano Tuning and
Randy Potter Schools of Piano Technology.
Both schools would provide starter kits.
If you don't want to spend the money,
You can get a starter kit for less than a hundred from online piano supply stores, as long as books and videos.
It's easy to find one by searching.

Good luck

Polka

Amateur Pianist * Piano Teacher * Part-time Tuner
TYPO, I don't know what I was thinking when typing.

I meant..
"You can get a starter kit for less than a hundred from online piano supply stores, and there are books and videos too.

Amateur Pianist * Piano Teacher * Part-time Tuner
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks, I will look into this.

Do you know of any free tuning software that I can use with a laptop?

J
J
There are several more programs than that-some of them associated with regular universities. They are usually listed under Piano Technology. Books and videos are fine for reference or research but apprenticing with someone is the best approach if you aren't going to attend a school.

Piano Technician
Pro horn player
Recording Engineer
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Tunelab remains the most frugal option for the laptop. Robert Scott (tunelab guy) checks in here, he may offer some suggestions...

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tuning is not a skill you can learn in a weekend, like riding a motorcycle. Expect to invest several hundred hours to do it well, and at least $1,000 of tools.

Here's how to get started:
http://ptg.org/becomingATech.php

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
T
T
The real trouble with doing it "on the side" is that you will have a hard time getting enough practice to be come efficient. There are aspects of technique that no one is going to be able to teach you; you have to find out through expience.

Tom Tuner

R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Tuning is not a skill you can learn in a weekend
I never said otherwise. I know that dedication is required, and I think I would really enjoy doing it. I don't think I could become a proficient tuner without a year or so of practice. I'm not some stupid kid who thinks he can tune his piano because he can tune his guitar. I have looked at the kits, I have talked to people, I have read up on it, and I have watched my piano get tuned, I know it isn't easy. I would tune my own piano at least once a week once I get the basics down so that I can improve my efficiency and my ear.

The real trouble with doing it "on the side" is that you will have a hard time getting enough practice to be come efficient.
I see. I'd probably have to go around and do a bunch of free tunings in order to get my skills up. It's just that I don't want the standard obligatory teenage job of working at a coffee shop or retail... I think I'd really like to do this fascinating job. Not necessarily as a primary income, but if I'm dealing with what I love every day, (pianos) I think I'd really enjoy my life a heck of a lot more.

At the very least, I want to learn how to tune my own piano so as to keep it in near perfect tune as much as possible. I'm worried that hearing a sub-par piano sound so much will make my ear sloppy, as opposed to a violinist or guitarist who have their instruments in perfect tune all the time.

-Colin

Colin:

Go for it! I learned the basic mechanics and theory of tuning in a 5 hour community course taught by a technician in Seattle more than 30 years ago. When I was done with his course I was not a tuner, of course! But I did know what to do and what to listen for. And I was confident that I could tune a piano without doing damage!

I am terribly slow, because I have not achieved the skill level described by posters above. And my result is not professional. On the other hand if the piano I'm working on is badly out of tune then I am making a vast improvement.

I recently got interested again in doing some piano work again -- after years of no activity.

In one instance my sister was hosting an informal wedding reception at her home. She said off-handedly, "I don't have any entertainment planned, but you wouldn't mind playing the piano, would you?" I asked her when the piano was last tuned. She said ... well I think it was you who did it. Since I knew that was at least 15 years ago, I took my tools! In the end I had a piano that was quite playable. Otherwise, I would have been pretty disappointed with the time I spent playing.

In another instance I was at a friends home where she said, "I hear you tune pianos!" I said well, yes, but I'm an amateur. I went to her piano to evaluate it, and told her that she should hire a pro! It didn't need a rough tuning. It needed a fine tuning. It was quite playable.

Finally, I take my music seriously, and no, I do not tune my own piano! I pay a pro to do that 3 or 4 times a year. But in between, if a unison is a tad off, I'll get out the tuning lever and make my ear happy again.

Just to give you an idea of the time invested to get me to this level: In thirty years, I would estimate, that I've spent 200 hours tuning. I'm certain that if I spent 200 hours in the next 2 months tuning, I'd be much better, but I'm not that dedicated to the art.

My main tech interest is in rebuilding, and having tuning skill at my current level is excellent for that work.

Colin, I hope this sketch of an amateur will give you a glimpse of where you might be after some training and initial practice.

Have fun.

- Duane McGuire, RPT
www.mcguirepiano.com
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks for the input. May I ask where you got your gear?

M
M
It can't hurt to get the minimum needed to start learning to tune unisons. You don't need to commit yourself by buying a lot of tools you don't need in the beginning. You may find, after you try it, that it's not what you thought. The longer you work at it, the more sure you will be that this really is something you want to do. You will then have the confidence that you will stay with it that will allow you to make whatever time and money invenstments are needed to get yourself into a more intensive learning situation and spending money on tools and parts.

All you need to start tuning unisons is a tuning hammer and some rubber mutes. If you make a point of leaving the middle strings alone you will always have them to tune back to. Get a good tuning hammer. A cheap, light hammer will not give you the control that a better hammer will. Using a light-weight is like trying to bowl with a whiffle ball.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by MrPianoTuner:
A cheap, light hammer will not give you the control that a better hammer will. Using a light-weight is like trying to bowl with a whiffle ball.
But a good-quality, light hammer like the Fujan hammer WILL give you the control you need. (You can do a search to check out the threads discussing the Fujan hammer.) I just tried one this week. The carbon fiber construction makes it both light and stiff, and you can feel the pin much more accurately. Now I want one, but I'm going to have to save up...

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
I became interested in piano tuning watching a concert tech while pushing a broom at a college. I found a part time job at a local music store doing floor turnings with a Strobe Tuner. It occurred to me there was much more to the craft than what I was experiencing. I began attending PTG seminars every chance I had and learned from some of the best in the business. I read everything I could get my hands on and eventually worked my way into a large piano shop with some well seasoned technicians. Along the way I learned to tune by ear but today I use a Verituner for expedience sake. The PTG so far has been my greatest source of knowledge, although my technician friends have been of great help. Perhaps this will provide a possible course of action for you.

Piano Sales, Piano Technician, "Tuning pianos for a song"
Originally posted by Reaper978:
Thanks for the input. May I ask where you got your gear?
Schaff Piano Supply (They are suppliers to merchants and technicians. They do not solicit "retail business".)
1-800-747-4266

You can honor the host of pianoworld (who provides world class service in these forums) by shopping at the companion site, www.pianosupplies.com

- Duane McGuire, RPT
www.mcguirepiano.com
I practiced tuning everyday for 6 months before I started doing free tunings for further practice. After a total of 9 months I was tuning at a couple of music stores, different types of pianos new and used.

After a couple of years of full time tuning of all types of pianos, I finally learned how to tune a piano.

It ain't easy ... particularly if your intention is to be a good tuner.

There are plenty of average to below average tuners who knock out floor tunings at stores around town. But there are only a few excellent tuners who enjoy a huge clientele and have a full schedule working on fine quality instruments.

If you have a rudimentary level of skill and you charge a smaller fee than average, there will be people who will hire you to tune their low quality pianos. But if you desire to work on fine instruments and to be in demand by repeat customers, then you should approach piano tuning as a full time endeavor.

Registered Piano Technician
Serving Colorado Since 1978
randy@karasikpiano.com
www.karasikpiano.com
Colin,

It occurs to me that doing tuning on the side would have a major temptation and possible pitfall connected with it: If you're fascinated with how a piano is tuned that's great, but there are also many basic regulation and repair skills someone should have before pianos owned by other people are put in his/her care -- even if it's ostensibly just for a tuning.

For one thing, it's sometimes impossible to even get through a tuning without doing a lot of other stuff. Secondly, if you just know how to tune you'll be less likely to pay proper attention to what an instrument actually needs. You could easily end up doing a customer more harm than good, even if the piano sounds better for awhile.

I've heard it said that there are "tuning types" and "repair/rebuilding types." To a certain extent I think that might be true, and whichever facet of the business one is less naturally-inclined toward will require more conscious dedication to learn.

I just bring this up because you didn't mention any interest in non-tuning aspects of the trade. If you're not somewhat mechanically-inclined and comfortable problem-solving on the fly, you might not have as much fun as you'd like.

Jeff

Jeff A. Smith
Indiana, USA
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
I may be getting a job with a man nearby who specializes in full-blown piano restorations, including tuning of course. I would get a full view of what it is to be a piano tech by doing this, and I think I may take him up on his offer. He does not shy away from the word "apprentice" either, so it seems he may take me in.

Actually, while my primary interest in pianos technically is in the tuning, I am also quite interested in the mechanisms upon which the piano functions. The hammers, the pedals, all of things that a tech needs to deal with I'm fairly interested in. Of course my primary drive and obsession is in playing the instrument itself, but I would love to learn how to tune and maintain a quality instrument. I have a bit of experience watching my own piano tech, but obviously I need someone to guide me if I was to actually do the job.

Thank you all for the input, it has been carefully considered.

You may very well find that your earning capacity as a technician will far outstrip that as a player. Spending less time and energy to make more money is a powerful motivator.

This may turn out to be your first step into full time piano technology.

If so, it's a good thing. Don't fight it. Playing will always be available to you if you prefer to do that. And being in both areas will allow you to find the perfect balance for yourself.

I started out as a full time player, then moved on to tuning and playing. Playing become more and more part time, and eventually I got out of the playing all together ... my choice.

Have fun, do both, and be grateful for your life. It's perfect.

Serving Colorado Since 1978
randy@karasikpiano.com
www.karasikpiano.com
B
B
The last thing this profession needs is another semi-trained tuner who attended the Matchbook Cover Correspondence School Of Piano Tuning doing 'tunings on the side' to earn extra money.

In fact, it's exactly the greatest problem in this profession and the reason there is so much mediocrity, unprofessionalism, and such a low bar for what is considered "competence" in the U.S.

Why not go to a real school where actual, serious training is available? Such as University of Western Ontario.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission